Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A few words regarding organized gameplay thanks to regiments ...

USA Captain

Sure, I understand not everyone is a fan of line battles.

In case of me, I'm open for a lot of different tactics on the field. I wasn't even talking about pure line battles. They're fun, but they lack deeper tactics. My favorite style is to have two or three smaller lines and at least a skirmishing unit - which gives you way more tactical options. Also if you don't like standing in the open and getting shot at, you can join a skirmisher unit covering behind rocks and walls to increase their chances of survival. If it works, it's okay.
    What I don't like is a lack of coordination and, in worst case, a ton of rambos in the game. Rambos just get themselves killed, costing a lot of tickets. No coordination means those two or three lines plus skirmisher never can do anything against an organized enemy. Both cases kill most of the fun at least for me.
    So I don't insist on one big line organized by one of the better known regiments - but I'd love to see more overall organization of all the units in the field.

I wonder if I put my words correctly this time.
    Ingame Nick: [KRT.2ndAuriga]Cpt.Data
    I'm not part of any Company: KRT is a clan playing Star Citizen and 2ndAuriga means I'm member of the 2nd wing of the Auriga Squadron.

You're pretty much spot on about your prediction of 'regiments' locking themselves away in closed servers. It will happen. Many who claim to be an asset to the community will become the opposite. You'll come out to public servers only to recruit and then suck these recruits into your private gameplay world where you may occasionally host terribly-organized locked-server events open to the public--probably with a password announced somewhere like on the forums. Players who join a 'regiment' will be sucked into that club life locked-server world. Players who don't will quickly learn the game doesn't work without that and will either only play in events in a controlled server or join one of those clubs.

Nobody respectable will long dare to have 'open server' events. The plethora of total trolls and border-line trolls which will descend upon this community will rock your world. You guys have no idea what's coming with later releases. No idea. Leaving a server without a simple lock deterrent gives trolls every excuse in the world to 'not know the rules.' Forget whatever you've seen in a game you think is similar, this game is going to overflow with them when the price is around $20 (which it had better be some day for the sake of survival). I know a game that's ripe for trolls and this one is looking to be reach the top of the charts for a good span of time.

The emphasis right now needs to be on making the game so you don't need closed events. Punishing the team for your own personal recklessness (team morale) is not a deterrent at all to a player looking to have fun (also known as a normal human-being). Players must be compelled to gravitate to each other in the most primitive of fashions for their own personal success or else the game won't work. Life's been coming at me too hard lately but I'll eventually elaborate on some ideas to fix that.

Leadership problems can't be fixed easily. The officer class means literally nothing currently and I'm hesitant to say it should for fear of it becoming a privilege of the wrong people. People need to become comfortable with following someone other than an officer class because anyone can and will take it without major overhauls to how you can select it. Use common sense and don't follow a guy into an open-ground stand-up fight on an entrenched (fenced) enemy. Numbers are your asset, not officer classes. With the flag-bearer spawn system that will be even more true. That'll be a nightmare of it's own I fear with so much relying on what one totally random guy does and a golden opportunity for trolls to do their thing.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 06-07-2018 at 03:41 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

"People need to become comfortable with following someone other than an officer class because anyone can and will take it without major overhauls to how you can select it. Use common sense and don't follow a guy into an open-ground stand-up fight on an entrenched (fenced) enemy." -Poorlaggedman

I couldn't agree with you more on this point. All too often in battle right now, I hear people saying "where's an officer" or "we need an officer" when in truth they don't need an officer, but a leader. Anyone can grab the officer slot and try to start bossing people around, but that doesn't necessarily make them a good leader. I don't have an answer for this problem, but I think more organized companies can help. For instance, if our company has trained on certain firing drills etc. we don't really need someone, playing an officer slot, coming in and trying to tell us every little order in battle, but instead coordinate a general plan of battle or working with them instead of trying to run our company would work much better. Then we can operate as a company the way we have trained and still coordinate with everyone around us.

USA Major

Maybe a better solution might be to down grade the Officer class so it is primarily a leadership role and mostly useless in a fight. This would at least make it a choice by people who actually want to help coordinate the fight. Maybe give the Officer class some enhanced communications with in the game but limited ability to fight.

Maybe brain storm some ideas to make them work like:

Officer voice commands being echoed down the line.

Significant restrictions on their use of pistols.

Tag the officer with in game statistics so you could quickly figure out if he was experienced or just screwing around in the game.

Make swords a poor weapon for melee. In combat they were seldom used since they were more symbols of the Officer and a means of signaling the troops.

I don't know any way they could block users from using external communications but it would make the officer a necessary part of the tactics if they were the only ones capable of that type of communication.

Anyway the general idea is to make the Officer something no one would want to be unless they really wanted to "lead" the troops.
    Lightfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Maybe a better solution might be to down grade the Officer class so it is primarily a leadership role and mostly useless in a fight.
    The limitation of 6 rounds per revolver makes him pretty useless already, if he faces a full line of 30 soldiers for example.

Besides that, rambo officers will get reduced in the future with adding some new features (like a desertion, if he is not attached to a formation).
    Pretty sure we will try out different things, once we have some other needed features added

CSA Captain

I'm on the NA side, and try not to play Union, but I have noticed a lot of the same of what you're describing when I did have to be Yankee. At least when I'm on, they either don't have a clear leader, or they have a bunch of small-company commanders who spend more time deriding each other than coordinating against the enemy.
    Major H.P. Bouldin, 18th Virginia Infantry

Give me Kentucky Volunteers, or Give me Death!

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by DaMonkey View Post
    I'm on the NA side, and try not to play Union, but I have noticed a lot of the same of what you're describing when I did have to be Yankee. At least when I'm on, they either don't have a clear leader, or they have a bunch of small-company commanders who spend more time deriding each other than coordinating against the enemy.
    And THERE is your Historical Accuracy! heh

NOTE:
    When we start to actually Play the game, as opposed to testing it, many of these problems will fade away.

Skirmishing can, will and must happen but we are in the Line Battle testing phase so what I tell our guys is ...
    - Enjoy it for what it is ... a chance for camaraderie, honing shooting skills and practicing Friend/Foe identification.
    - Test often and we will move onto the next phase more quickly.
    - This is NOT the game we will be playing but rather a small portion.
    - Have fun and be patient.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    we are in the Line Battle testing phase
    Actually the current phase is called "Skirmishes Closed Alpha Phase I".

Capture.JPG

These are skirmishing maps we are currently playing. Line battle maps will be much bigger I believe. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.)

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    The limitation of 6 rounds per revolver makes him pretty useless already, if he faces a full line of 30 soldiers for example.

Besides that, rambo officers will get reduced in the future with adding some new features (like a desertion, if he is not attached to a formation).
    Pretty sure we will try out different things, once we have some other needed features added
    OHHH I like the sounds of that desertion option on officer class. Maybe make that for NCO as well? they do get pistols sometimes as well.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Bleddyn View Post
    Actually the current phase is called "Skirmishes Closed Alpha Phase I".

Capture.JPG

These are skirmishing maps we are currently playing. Line battle maps will be much bigger I believe. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.)
    Yeah we thought that too but being forced to do Line Battles has us leaning toward calling it Line Battle Testing Phase.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.