Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A few words regarding organized gameplay thanks to regiments ...

USA General of the Army

Lol Agreed
    Also many of the Paper are arty and cav waiting
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

Normally I don't like to revive "dead threads", but I think this is the best place to post this (and this forum isn't letting me post threads until I reach a specific post limit so I couldn't post a new thread anyway).

The reason why is because I noticed something dangerous today when I went to try and play War of Rights. Note that I said "try". I didn't get to play. Allow me to show you why, the following screenshots were taken by War of Rights public players yesterday night while attempting to join War of Rights matches. While some of the hours they are taken aren't clear, via private messaging I have been told that the majority of them we're taken during prime play hours.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1818522255
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1819467138

Thread from which screenshots we're acquired from
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/42403...6601481162800/

Anybody see the trend here? The OP's worry last night became a complete reality. Non-regimental players universally and totally barred from participating in the community and playing the game via passworded servers for the majority of the nights NA playtime hours. I myself can say that I waited for a half-hour before giving up and playing Squad. I'm hoping the regimental's that rule the roost on this forum aren't foolish enough to see the obvious problems this causes, both for them and their regiments AND for Campfire in the long term. I have spoken on one occasion with TrustyJam about said issue, but he didn't really give me any answers to solving it. And to be honest I really don't know if I would have an answer if I was in his shoes either. The only answer I can think of is that it lies with the Regiments to solve this problem before it gets worse. Though whether or not any of you actually intend too is up in the air in my opinion. I have seen trolling and griefing in WoR's, I know those server passwords are for a reason, but cutting off literally the entire community who has not joined a clan? I cannot think of a more debilitating and real threat to this games success. Continue down this path and word will get out and WoR will suffer because of it.

Open the servers. Let us play.
    Last edited by zzman305; 07-31-2019 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    I am not disputing the gist of your post, zzman305, but I will add some context:

In many instances, the purpose of the server passwords is not to keep "Non-regimental players" out. It is actually to keep other regiments out.

Often, two-to-four regiments are having a scheduled match. Other uninvited regiments sometimes gate-crash en masse and then the invited regiments cannot enter to play their scheduled match. This leads to dissension on Discord, and kicking anyone to make room leads to quarrels. Hence, admins use passwords to bar uninvited regiments, not to bar "randoms." Sadly, an unintended side-effect is that "randoms" cannot enter the server.

One possible solution to this issue is to raise the server's overall number of player slots above 150. If War of Rights had 300 slot servers, the entire community — non-regimental players and all regiments — could play together and all fit on a single server. (This would be amazing and glorious.)

The 1stCav server hosts the community event on Friday nights. We do not password our server during the event. Everyone is allowed in; "any gun can play."
    1. Yes, the gate-crashing by other regiments is something I probably didn't consider. But at this point I'm wondering if isolating the entire non-clan community is worth the exchange.

2. While I am appreciative that 7th Cav holds open server nights, the fact of the matter is that we really aren't the ones who are deciding which server gets played now are we? You can try and populate your server as much as you want, and I'm sure some nights you'll get it fairly high, but right now this game in its current form does not play well without a minimum of 60-70 players. The mechanics don't work, the teamwork ceases, and the game fails utterly. I have had a Campfire dev/admin literally say to me that "small matches aren't fun" in WoR and he is absolutely right. I'm glad your clan is taking an extra step to mitigate the problem. Its brave of you to do so. And I respect 7th Cav not just in WoR but in its other games as well. Your routinely the only Post Scriptum Server I play on. But with all do respect O'Rourke, I don't believe 7th Cav has the ability right now to carry that weight on its own, nor does it have the strength. We need the larger clans to acknowledge this problem. The ones who ROUTINELY control the flow and play of players without question. You know who I'm talking about. They're in the screenshots.

I have a life, I have a job and a career. I don't have the time to devote to a clan of civil war reenactors no matter how much I love the game and the time period. Alot of other people are the exact same. And this game doesn't exist in a vacuum. WoR has competition, maybe none from this specific time period but there are certainly plenty of teamwork based tactical games that can eat people's time. I see WoR players I know all the time playing Squad, Post Scriptum, and ArmA. Remember what I said in my first post? I didn't get to play even though I wanted to devote my time to WoR. I gave up. I played another game. So did plenty of other people. That's how games die.

If last Sunday is an indication of a trend, there will be no War of Rights non-clan community. Then (shortly) afterwards they're won't be a community at all. And then you'll be Tannenberg.
    Last edited by zzman305; 07-31-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zzman305 View Post
    Normally I don't like to revive "dead threads", but I think this is the best place to post this (and this forum isn't letting me post threads until I reach a specific post limit so I couldn't post a new thread anyway).

The reason why is because I noticed something dangerous today when I went to try and play War of Rights. Note that I said "try". I didn't get to play. Allow me to show you why, the following screenshots were taken by War of Rights public players yesterday night while attempting to join War of Rights matches. While some of the hours they are taken aren't clear, via private messaging I have been told that the majority of them we're taken during prime play hours.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1818522255
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1819467138

Thread from which screenshots we're acquired from
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/42403...6601481162800/

Anybody see the trend here? The OP's worry last night became a complete reality. Non-regimental players universally and totally barred from participating in the community and playing the game via passworded servers for the majority of the nights NA playtime hours. I myself can say that I waited for a half-hour before giving up and playing Squad. I'm hoping the regimental's that rule the roost on this forum aren't foolish enough to see the obvious problems this causes, both for them and their regiments AND for Campfire in the long term. I have spoken on one occasion with TrustyJam about said issue, but he didn't really give me any answers to solving it. And to be honest I really don't know if I would have an answer if I was in his shoes either. The only answer I can think of is that it lies with the Regiments to solve this problem before it gets worse. Though whether or not any of you actually intend too is up in the air in my opinion. I have seen trolling and griefing in WoR's, I know those server passwords are for a reason, but cutting off literally the entire community who has not joined a clan? I cannot think of a more debilitating and real threat to this games success. Continue down this path and word will get out and WoR will suffer because of it.

Open the servers. Let us play.
    Hey ZZ just saw this now, sorry for the late response. I host WoR Community Events on Sunday and Monday. This past Monday (event in question) we had 3 Servers open, 2 of which were with organized units, the third being the II Corps Community Server (hosted by II-1st VA) for random players and pubbies. Generally on Mondays i will keep the server without a password but due to the request of many units within the community we kept it shut for competitive gameplay. However a few guys that are not with a regiment were active during event due to the fact that they are team players and moreover bc they were part of my 6th LA steam group which gives out the server name and password. Most Mondays will be open to the public but speaking frankly my #1 reason to put on a password is the fact that the game crashes so often, especially with a larger server that regimental players, and often myself cant get back into the main battle/event of the night. Add me as a friend on steam ZZ and i will get you involved in the big fights. I don't care if u want to join my regiment or not, the objective is having a ton of fun, kicking ass and following commands.

......1 thing no one should forget is that we all were "pubbies" at 1 point in this game, it will not grow if the new comers don't feel welcome. I try extremely hard to make sure that all players in the game feel welcome and at home when fighting with my 6th Louisiana Tigers/ Fighting 5th Virginia/ 1st Virginia Inf & Cav (*Stonewall Jackson's II Corps*). I also make it a point that if i meet new guys that are deadset on playing Union we can get them squared away with a great regiment such as Tylers 9th NY, Staples 1st Cav, or Pix Apollo's 14th Brooklyn..... Again we did have the 3rd server open for everyone, that i do believe maxed out at 80-85 at one point but, speaking frankly with a 150 man server i already need to split the organized units into 2 separate servers (sometimes 3 on Sunday as it is the largest event in the game), don't feel set aside if the third (II-Corps) server is the only one open as the cost for a server in this game is astronomical ($1300 USD per year) and II Corps, thanks in part to the generiosity of the 1st Virginia under Lt. Col. Billy has shelled out the cash just to make sure yall have a moderated server to play on.......it also gives yall newcomers a chance to take officer unabridged and learn how to lead a bit, or even as an enlisted man how to execute an objective, how to shoot, you learn the maps, tactics ect ect............

***To ZZ or any players in WoR that would like to be part of the A side in the fights, add me as a friend on steam or anyone frankly in the 6th LA and I will make it a point to get yall involved in the action. Even in the Big Competative Events of the Week yall are always welcome to join so long as you guys can follow orders and be an asset to the team you play with.***

-Colonel Paioletti (Stonewall Jackson's II Corps) 6th Louisiana "Tigers", "the Fighting" 5th Virginia, 1st Virginia Inf/Cav
    STONEWALL JACKSON'S II CORPS
    MAJOR GENERAL PAIOLETTI
    Commander of the 6th Louisiana Tigers

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by PAIOLETTI View Post
    Hey ZZ just saw this now, sorry for the late response. I host WoR Community Events on Sunday and Monday. This past Monday (event in question) we had 3 Servers open, 2 of which were with organized units, the third being the II Corps Community Server (hosted by II-1st VA) for random players and pubbies. Generally on Mondays i will keep the server without a password but due to the request of many units within the community we kept it shut for competitive gameplay. However a few guys that are not with a regiment were active during event due to the fact that they are team players and moreover bc they were part of my 6th LA steam group which gives out the server name and password. Most Mondays will be open to the public but speaking frankly my #1 reason to put on a password is the fact that the game crashes so often, especially with a larger server that regimental players, and often myself cant get back into the main battle/event of the night. Add me as a friend on steam ZZ and i will get you involved in the big fights. I don't care if u want to join my regiment or not, the objective is having a ton of fun, kicking ass and following commands.

......1 thing no one should forget is that we all were "pubbies" at 1 point in this game, it will not grow if the new comers don't feel welcome. I try extremely hard to make sure that all players in the game feel welcome and at home when fighting with my 6th Louisiana Tigers/ Fighting 5th Virginia/ 1st Virginia Inf & Cav (*Stonewall Jackson's II Corps*). I also make it a point that if i meet new guys that are deadset on playing Union we can get them squared away with a great regiment such as Tylers 9th NY, Staples 1st Cav, or Pix Apollo's 14th Brooklyn..... Again we did have the 3rd server open for everyone, that i do believe maxed out at 80-85 at one point but, speaking frankly with a 150 man server i already need to split the organized units into 2 separate servers (sometimes 3 on Sunday as it is the largest event in the game), don't feel set aside if the third (II-Corps) server is the only one open as the cost for a server in this game is astronomical ($1300 USD per year) and II Corps, thanks in part to the generiosity of the 1st Virginia under Lt. Col. Billy has shelled out the cash just to make sure yall have a moderated server to play on.......it also gives yall newcomers a chance to take officer unabridged and learn how to lead a bit, or even as an enlisted man how to execute an objective, how to shoot, you learn the maps, tactics ect ect............

***To ZZ or any players in WoR that would like to be part of the A side in the fights, add me as a friend on steam or anyone frankly in the 6th LA and I will make it a point to get yall involved in the action. Even in the Big Competative Events of the Week yall are always welcome to join so long as you guys can follow orders and be an asset to the team you play with.***

-Colonel Paioletti (Stonewall Jackson's II Corps) 6th Louisiana "Tigers", "the Fighting" 5th Virginia, 1st Virginia Inf/Cav
    Another thing to point out is with the ever expanding size of WoR regiments we are forced to lock the servers to get all of our members into the match, and if we open it to public players and our men can't get in we'll look even worse having to kick people out of the server to fit our guys. Since our men comes first in our eyes. One thing is for sure and it's wanting everyone who owns the game to feel welcome to play. However, at the designated days and times that our units have these events we want those who joined us to be guaranteed to get into the fight. Directly following the designated events I know my 9th NYers enter the other non-passworded servers to play around. Also what is going on is no different from what happened in the mount and blade mod (First Manassas). Passworded event servers for organized units happen in any game involving clans.

Thank you for your response Paioletti, you have always been an excellent representative of this community whenever I play with you and you have once more demonstrated this today. The more time I've had to think on this matter the more I realized that the problem is a combination of factors instead of simply "regiments choosing to isolate themselves", in that regard it'll probably only be resolved through feature updates and even larger servers. And that will only be solved with time and coding. That being said I will take you up on your offer. I still love this game for all its problems and believe in its immense long-term potential.