Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit Re-designations

USA General of the Army

Bumping in hopes of getting this Error fixed.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

To be honest, I don't understand your request

You are speaking of the company tool? So which unit should be re-named how?
    An ingame unit?

CSA Major

Not wishing to steal Gen Cooley's thunder but I suppose the first question is why was Cobb's Cavalry (amongst other units) re-designated 9th Georgia Cavalry in the Company Tool? Apologies if I missed a thread on the explanation.

If it was to bring units into alignment with historical designations during the Maryland Campaign, then fine but as has been pointed out above, the 9th Georgia did not come into being until 1864 and well after Antietam and therefore it appears an error has been made in the Company Tool.

I would therefore respectfully request that the 9th Georgia Cavalry be returned to it's rightful designation as Cobbs Legion Cavalry.

I remain, Sirs,
    Your Obedient Servant,
    John Jones, Sgt
    Cobbs Legion Co. C

USA General of the Army

Spot on Sergeant.

Company Tool shows us as 9th GA when that unit designation is Incorrect.
    Cobb's Cavalry was not referred to as 9th GA until S.O. 161 Dated 11 JUL 1864.

Hope that was clearer.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout

Ah alright, no problem.
    The name change will be added later today

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Ah alright, no problem.
    The name change will be added later today
    Very many thanks!
    Sgt Jones

USA General of the Army

You have our eternal gratitude.
    /salute

Hey there John Cooley,

I'm afraid that I have to retract the promise given by Hinkel, and I apologize ahead of time for the back and forth. I also apologize my attention was not brought to this thread sooner, as I was under the false impression that I had already subscribed to this part of the forum. That's been fixed now.

In any case, looking at some of your sources, particularly the book "Cobb's Legion Cavalry: A History and Roster of the Ninth Georgia Volunteers in the Civil War" - which by the way I would draw your attention to the subtitle of - the information there does not lend credence to your request, and is part of why we changed the designation in the first place. On page three it states: "Within months, it was discovered that the logistics of cavalry and infantry serving in the same unit created impossible problems. Although the cavalry and infantry battalions of Cobb's Legion were not officially separated from one another until March 9, 1863, they actually stopped serving together as a consolidated command in the summer of 1862."
    Furthermore, and particularly relevent to our issue, "When the cavalry battalion reached regimental strength, it was redesignated as the 9th Regiment Georgia Volunteer Cavalry but continued to be referred to as Cobb's Legion." This is particularly of use to us, because we can tell exactly when the unit got to be of regimental strength. Just a few pages in on page six there is the list of companies and their respective mustering dates:

Company A - August 17, 1861 Company B - July 30/August 14, 1861 Company C - August 15, 1861
    Company D - August 10, 1861 Company E - March 15, 24/April 9, 1862 Company F - March 25, 1862
    Company G - July 3-29, 1861 Company H - February 16-29, 1861 Company I - February 13/April 21, 1862
    Company K - February 2-6, 1862 Company L - March 17, 1862

The page ends with another important quote, "Civil War units were sometimes known by alternate designations. Often these were the names of the commanding officer. Cobb's Legion Cavalry was also called the Cobb Legion and Young's Cavalry (for Pierce Manning Butler Young)."

So the answer to our hard to at first delineate riddle is that, even factoring in the time needed for the units mustered in 1862 to get to join with the rest of their comrades, they would have been redesignated as the 9th by the summer of 1862, though as you said they also continued to call themselves Cobb's Legion despite - or in spite of - the change. Your mention of July 11, 1864 is also mentioned in the book, but only in the context that the 11th company was split off to bolster the Phillips Legion cavalry, which I again quote from page three.

So while the name is going to stay as the 9th GA in the company tool, I would highly encourage you to continue to call yourselves the Cobb's Legion, because as you stated it was the preferred name used by the troopers and nearby superior officers themselves in spite of what the desk jockeys back in Richmond had designated for them.

cobbs cavalry.jpglikely date for 9th GA.jpg
    Last edited by GeorgeCrecy; 07-11-2018 at 06:26 PM.

USA General of the Army

Like I said, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and I do apologize to all that I didn't catch this thread sooner. It was only brought to my attention yesterday.