Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some quirks about gameplay that nobody seems all that concerned about.

Some quirks about gameplay that nobody seems all that concerned about.

Fences
    These are a major, major issue. They provide exhasorbating amounts of protection to defenders. Two formations, one behind a fence, one not should not equate to a massacre. It literally always does in WoR ruining the potential for stand-up fights and forces meelee or flank rushes to get anything done. This is absurd and it dominates the tactical situation on the battlefield in WoR currently. My understanding is this is the way the bullets are tracked and if they have any arc to their trajectory they'll hit a fence before hitting the player. I've found myself being wounded up to five times while behind a fence. Most of the bullets going towards a fence should be potentially lethal. Not even 50% should be blocked at best. Worm fences should give little protection as they are. They were probably no sturdier than the fences you see remade on battlefields today - they aren't even going to stop a minie bullet hit square on.

There should also be various qualities to fences, perhaps entirely different models. The fence on the Hagerstown road should not be the same as the fence on Roulette lane. Certain major roads had fences sturdy enough to herd cattle by. The Hagerstown Road (the one in the famous picture of Confederate dead and also a toll road) was surely far more sturdy than a simple border fence on someone's property. It's known they varied by region as well for Confederates were surprised by the depth Pennsylvania fences were buried compared to Virginia ones because of the snow freezes. It shouldn't be a one-size fits all model is my point.

Address this, please, it's game-breaking how it's more advantage to hug a fence and take flanking fire than not use the fence at all and be at a significant disadvantage in the open. It's absolutely crazy right now that people just accept this as it is, it shows a lack of engagement on the part of the player-base.

Player movement
    I get that it's supposed to be quirky to limit individualism but I don't believe it's the best way to do that. Players should be able to duck walk, prone, and pause their reload to move (at least at quick-time). Being able to do this and create a more team-oriented game would be great. If it's felt that something 'shouldn't' happen because it 'didn't' happen then more careful study of history needs to be examined as to why it didn't instead of just this solution of 'make it impossible.' When you get down to the minutiae of the ACW infantry engagemetn I find that the cookie-cutter approach just doesn't do it justice. They did duck, crawl, and kneel. I just shake my head when I have to stand up to rotate my body one way or another.

Weapon posture
    Something about sprinting (charging) with my musket across my chest and then returning to order arms under fire gives me a headache. I feel like a broken toy soldier sometimes. Someone needs to find some reasons for the parade-field postures as have been a little already. Of course they should be in the game but a little more liberally applied mandatorily. The most basic thing is getting people to fight close together, that should be the focus-not getting them to represent ideal reenactment / non-combat condition antics.

Non-moveable objects
    You bust into someone's farm house and go into the kitchen. A table is in your way. You can't get to the window. What do you do? You turn around and find another room - we all know Civil War soldiers didn't ruin someone's table set to fight a battle.

Low Graphic settings giving great advantage
    Since I started playing on low-graphics (out of necessity) the advantages are quite apparent. Crops only start rendering maybe 10 meters away so you can see entire formations who should be hidden. The smoke hardly renders at all. I could have sworn it did the last time I tried low graphics but smoke is basically a non-factor with low graphics at present. That is a major game-breaker. I don't know how to rectify this for people who need low graphics but as a competitive player, this is truly game-breaking to take vegitation and smoke out of the factor. The smoke is part of what sold me the game and made me believe it was serious.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 06-19-2018 at 01:19 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

Agreed
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

RhettVito
    agreed
    Last edited by RhettVito; 06-19-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Your point about sprinting and returning to shoulder arms was changed in the latest update. You now go to the ready after having sprinted.

We may make the collision models of fences smaller in a future update. But it is something that is difficult to test properly. In theory a fence in the game should give just about 50% cover. But I agree it often feels like at distances that its pointless to shoot at players behind a fence. But if you test it up close. You can indeed kill players by shooting through the gaps. Its already difficult to hit someone at long range in the open. And then add 50% cover on top of that. It may be that its working as intended. The possible change would involve making it so that only some of the planks can catch bullets, instead of all of them as it currently is.

Its been more than a year since we adjusted the low graphics settings so things may no longer be working as originally intended. We'll most likely look into it again soon.

It feels more like 90%+ from my experience of fighting against and behind fences. If you're hit through a fence in a spot that would normally kill you then it should kill you still. But that isn't what's happening. The results speak for themselves. A shot at someone through a fence at greater range than a few rods is a wasted shot in WoR. The reality should be that most of the bullets properly put onto players behind fences should be finding their mark. 50% would be a generous protection, depending on the quality of the fence. A hit square on a rail might stop but at the edges there's little chance it won't chew through and be insufficiently redirected to land more-or-less where it was going in the first place for the next 1-2 feet of travel. I'm not aware of too many accounts where a fence was considered serious protection that fights revolve around. They're mostly an obstacle. I wouldn't feel the least bit safe standing behind one. Safer than in the open but not much at all.

You can't tell me that the .58 caliber minie ball, even ricocheting off a fence isn't going to do more damage than the pistolball ammunition, which almost always drops people in one shot in WoR. A slight deviation in trajectory isn't going to result in just a slight wound more often than not.
    IMG_5637.jpg
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 06-19-2018 at 08:07 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    Its been more than a year since we adjusted the low graphics settings so things may no longer be working as originally intended. We'll most likely look into it again soon.
    I've noticed that on multiple occasions that players get an tactical advantage using 'low graphics' to see through the cornfields. (the foilage in the woods seem to be less of a problem ?)
    The smoke could be harder to test since you would need some kind of line battle and two players (one high and one low graphics) to test the difference.

-> Some game solve this by using two packs : low-res and HD textures while keeping some effects intact … it's a tough exercise to fully optimize a game for lots of different hardware.
    Last edited by Redleader; 06-19-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Last night I tried switching back to Medium graphics mid-round and there was a large difference in smoke. Do it some time mid-round. If the spirit of the game is to remain competitive, that really needs to be fixed somehow.

USA Major

I strongly agree with everything mentioned in the First post

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    I've noticed that on multiple occasions that players get an tactical advantage using 'low graphics' to see through the cornfields. (the foilage in the woods seem to be less of a problem ?)
    If players are doing this then they need an 'ethics' check. I'll be sure to call out anyone I see doing that although I haven't witnessed it.

Ethics checks aren't going to police the community though. It's gonna make us all crazy and paranoid if something so devious is that simple. It's not always intentional. You can't expect players on low graphics to just pretend like they can't see stuff they can. On a map like Miller's Cornfield you can view every single movement from outside the Cornfield including those darn Rambo officer flank movements. You can also sit a little distance back and pick people off.