Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Idea for skirmishes

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by C. Moser View Post
    I understand we are spit-balling RedLeader, but I don't know how I feel about taking losses not mattering, then no one will be discouraged to act irrationally with their ticket supply. In my honest opinion, I was just saying that I agreed with removing the cap as an option I hope we explore. But overall I feel adding two caps, one that you have to own first before taking the next, would be a step in the right direction (as mentioned by someone else here before me). Regardless of whether they give us a mode without a point, it will happen either way during our planned Line Battles or in the future on private servers organized between units.
    removing morale is a bad idea right but like carter suggested: removing time limit would have a better impact in it and I really really like the idea because "only 5 minutes left. YOLO final charge!" will ends!!
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

I suppose so, Maximus. I mean beating someone by tickets or cap in a big game if fought well by both sides would most likely end anyways by 60 minutes or less, maybe even 40 minutes. It would definitely provide more time for planning, and scouting. But still what if the attackers, possibly decide to be a bad sport and sit back and make the defenders get so frustrated of waiting that they have to leave their point to attack them as defending team? Or who knows maybe the defenders would split their forces to bait the attackers out. Its definitely something worth thinking about, removing the time. Removing the time would be a bigger change than thought, very interesting.
    Last edited by C. Moser; 07-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    I hate to compare games but the team at SWGEmu develops a spreadsheet to use as a checklist for each upcoming publish. Here is publish 10's checklist:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1983071807
    yeah something like that or use trello

https://trello.com/b/DsJICxLS/hll-co...y-closed-alpha

it may not be the best example since the last update is a bit old but it shows all relevant and interesting facts of development.

I had some really nice and long dioalogs with members of the community full of dreaming how it would be and what feature 2 could be. Maybe a Hummel? "Oh man that would be cool.........."

A Dialog for WoR would be:

A: "What are the devs working on?"

B:" dont know. I think a fix for the crashes"

A: "yeah thats really needed but what do you think whats the next feature?"

B: "No idea. maybe the flag bearer or a more detailed selection screen so you can choose the rank"

A: "that would be nice. do you know whats the progress of the teased musicians? can't wait to get them "

B: "no idea..."

A: "hmm......."

B: "hmmm..."

A: " Oh look a new episode of around the verse. let's watch together"

------------
    EDIT:

@Moser

not my idea it's carters.

increasing would also work i think.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA Lieutenant General

First of all I totally agree with maximus with his first topic!

I know how development works and I also know that it takes a lot of time to implement new features and to fix bugs but we shouldn't forget that we've also a playerbase that has to get involved into it and that works only if you give them the possibility to enjoy the game even in its current state but why? Because otherwise you'll lose the playerbase that we built up together!!

Most of us enjoys the game in a bigger company because we're loving the fact to reenact the civilwar and play as realism as we can.. but that doesn't work with the current skirmish mode (not anymore)

let's reconstruct a skirmish match on both sides (defender and attacker)
    Defender
    1. Regroup at the startpoint
    2. Move to the 1 capturepoint (with all units)
    3. Hold the position behind a fence or stonewall
    4. Shoot at the attacker on the open field while they try to move to the capture point
    5. Shoot at the attacker while they try to flank
    6. Time is getting close
    7. Shoot at the attacker while they charge
    8. Win

Attacker
    1. Regroup at the startpoint
    2. Move to the capturepoint
    3. Try to start a firefight in a battleline on the openfield
    4. Die
    5. Regroup and try to flank from the right side on the open field
    6. Die
    7. Regroup and try to flank from the left side on the open field
    8. Die
    9. Split the companies to flank from both sides
    10. Die
    11. Time is getting close
    12. Last (von platen) charge
    13. Die again...
    14. Lose

1. What is the big issue in my opinion?
    The defending team has a superior position (usually represented by a fence or wall) on most maps, resulting in a bloody, demoralizing race of the attacking team.
    Exactly that what maximus wrote, the defender have most of the time the possibility to stay behind a fence or a stonewall and they don't need to move because they've to defend the 1 capturepoint with all their units and that isn't hard, while the attacker have to try to get to that point without any cover (mostly they've to move across an open field).

How could we fix that issue?
    add more capture zones to the large maps to give the rounds more dynamics and flexibility.
    It would be great to see at least 2 capturepoints on multiple maps just to force the defender to move, split their units and use tactics aswell to get more dynamics/variations into the game and that shouldn't take too much time to implement another capturepoint into an existing map.

Im a big fan of this game and I want to help as good as I can and also my company even in its current state but I/we don't want as the attacker to charge always into the capturepoint or hold only 1 position as the defender just to win a game, what I/we want is to enjoy it and that works only if im able to use multiple tactics and play as realism as I/we can and that on both sides!.

I hope I could show you my perspective of the current state of the skirmish mode and what you could change to make it more enjoyable.

Best regards,
    Destinate aka. Roy Winters
    Last edited by Destinate; 07-06-2018 at 01:11 PM.

USA Brigadier General

@destinate

I would agree if you replace in your list CSA with defender and USA with attacker. there are also maps the other way round.

USA Lieutenant General

yea im sorry, thats true

CSA Major

At work hard to type
    The biggest problem on all maps is the fence they bullet from more than 10 ft make 50% of all bullets go though fences and you an entirely new game play period the union won't be at such a disadvange one simple fix makes an entirely new game

CSA Captain

Agreed Sergeant Major Sal, have a good day at work.

Also, depends on how good the defender team is VVV @destinate

USA Lieutenant General

And I forgot to add that its also possible to win as the attacker but you'll need a good team to do that and that is too rare to hold the moral up

CSA Captain

I am one that is more for a flowing battlefield. I understand the reason to the cap points but also don't always agree with the placement of them. The uneven borders on some maps are a problem to me also. Allowing one side free reign while forcing another to be funneled limits our options. Hagerstown turnpike or some of Harpers ferry stands out to me. When I first pictured WoR I thought of a line battle style game where who won or loss would be up to the decisions and discipline of the people playing. As the maps are now it seems the maps are set up for limited maneuvers and almost as if one side or the other is already set to win that map by default. I for one would like to play a map based off of terrain and not just one side gets a defense the other gets an open field. I would love to see more Civil War era flank and counter flank going on. The community is speaking and we are still in Alpha so now is the time to start really testing all these ideas before we paint ourselves into a corner. I understand that the Devs had a dream, a predefined image of how this game was going to be but as we have learned with our units sometimes we have to adapt to make something work properly.