Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Idea for skirmishes

USA Captain

Updated list:

- A development checklist of things to come
    - frequent development progress reports
    - Remove the timer. I've lead several line battles where we could have won, but were stopped short due to time restraints.
    - Capture point is fine to keep as another way to win a match, and gives both sides a reason to maneuver around the map.
    - Maps can be a bit larger as well to encourage more maneuverability for attacking forces.
    - Volume option is a must need since in-game voice is way too quiet.
    - Private servers for certain closed events.
    - Union shooting range is way to far from camp, and discourages Union players from using it unless their captain brings them there during drill. I've seen a lot of union players using the Confederate shooting range because it's closer to spawn and made much better.
    - Picking your correct rank, and removing class limitations in drill camp would be a awesome as well.
    - Releasing artillery would also help spice things up.
    - Moderators to oversee events, and keep order. This would be more efficient for line battle events than private servers. Non-regiment people can participate in the events still, and people who want to troll or not play along can get booted.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by PAIOLETTI View Post
    I generally stay off the forums as much as possible but, due to the request and out of respect for Captain Frank i will throw my hat in the ring as well.....

WoR has become a little stale recently and it would be a great idea to try to find some ways to make events more exciting and give us a little more than the status quo. Hence why i started up the Double Rank Organized Line Battle Events. The idea is to get the confeds off the fences or walls all the time and hit the open field and trade with the enemy standing toe to toe. It makes for some epic and very bloody battles that atleast in some way can give us an idea of the pure carnage that was the civil war. I do believe we can and must do more in the future to spice up the events so its really fantastic to see the devs really keeping an eye on this thread and considering some of the suggestions. Even if they don't all work out its better to try and to fail then to just do nothing.

+1 Major Tyler for his ideas. All are very good the only one i would disagree with is the Timer. During line battles we give up our concealment and hit the open field. Obviously every time we do one of these battles the CSA is at a major disadvantage because we have less men "tickets" and a smaller area of movment due to the borders on the maps for the CSA. Essentially we fight in a Nike Shoe Box whereas the Union has a large area of field that they can maneuver upon. Other than that i couldn't agree more with my friend Tyler on his other ideas.

+1 to Captain Frank "Maximus" Thanks for putting this thread up and getting the convo going. Great ideas put forward by you and a good back and fourth from those within the community. Lets hope this breathes new life into the game and gives us a few new ways to hold events.

*PoorlaggedMan* I actually like a lot of what he has to say, although i may not agree to everything the man says at least he has the guts to state his opinion. I think ignoring him or his ideas would be rather counter intuitive. The one thing that stood out to me the most was your worries about making private servers that would alienate a lot of the community. I couldn't agree more. Over a year ago the 1st TX had a round table meeting with EVERYONE in the community that had a company or even a stake in the game. Community Event Organizers or Coordinators where asked to volunteer. I put my hand up for Sunday NA Events, as well as did many others. I belive Patwick took the EU events on Sunday, my boy Massey took Saturdays ect ect....now do you know how many of those guys are left? Literally just me, within weeks of that meeting all the guys who wanted to be event coordinators realized its not easy, you have to communicate well with others and take everyones opinions to heart and try to come up with some set and simple rules for events. Not only that it takes a huge amount of time from your day trying to organize and get passed some of the inter rivalries from within the Union or CSA factions. Just getting these people to work together has been more difficult than winning the event itself. Getting more directly to my point, I have no interest in making my Sunday or Monday Event times a password protected server whereas no one but the "organized" units could join and have fun. Will there be rules for line battles? Of course, and all it takes is having one good moderator to watch over the action to remind guys to stay in formation, no FOL ect ect. and if they cant follow the rules they will get respawned or if they refused the rules or are obviously trolling, just flat out booted from the server for not playing by the rules. Pulling the organized groups away from the newer guys in the game that just want to learn and be a part of the experience would be the opposite of my intentions.
    Thank you PAIOLETTI.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

Ummmmm thank you for forgetting the EU time by myself Paioletti https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...kirmish-Battle

USA General of the Army

Is there a way for developers to let us lock players names in without always having to press the T key all the time, press T once and names stay till you press the T Key again to make names disappear, when looking for team mates on the field of battle or forming up at spawn as everyone logs in, is just a bit much to always have to keep hitting the T key every 30 seconds. this would make things so much easier, not to mention one will always have a bearing of the cap points and even multiple cap points if ever implemented, when on the move through woods or corn field as one maneuvers.

Also is there a way once we click on the poster roster page that all we have to do is click inter or just plane click or double click on the faction we want instead of having to move the mouse over that join deployment to get in, cause like wow sometimes I cant move the mouse fast enough to get the side I want.
    Last edited by calmmyst; 07-16-2018 at 01:12 AM.

The last realism game I devoted my gaming world too had lots of a certain type of people and we faced the same impending dilemmas. Everything was just dandy until the closed beta turned into the Open Alpha and later the Open Beta. Most of the folks who'd been on the forums and poured countless hours into game-talk vanished within a year or two as it became clear the vision was falling short of standing up to the average player. Everything soon relied on holding together contrived events where everyone pushed or broke rules which were enforced selectively and poorly because it had to directly dictate player behavior.

Big organizations with big rosters come and go. It's hard to fundamentally change a game when a mediocre core is set down. I'm seeing the community eager or indifferent to bring about the same thing but on a whole different level because it's literally like I'm dealing with re-enactors in the servers and it's more about appearance than functionality.

It's easy to do something among friends and say that it works fine, it's a totally different animal when you invite the public. The solution I'm hearing is "Well, the public should change." Okay. Okay. Fair point. No matter what happens from here on the first time you have a guy playing fart sounds in your formation remember I predicted it would happen. Keeping players engaged and competitive will get you a lot less trolling. Once your average Joe realizes he's just playing a part of a script he's going to get bored after the token/niche experience wears off.

95% of the players or more who will play this game during it's existence don't currently own it. Do you want a game that strongly compels them to play your way or do you want to play whack-a-mole with every single guy who comes in your server?

If private servers were allowed tomorrow then it wouldn't be long at all before experienced players would only play in closed events because that would all that's fun to them. Without learning how to deal with the problem it could very well always exist and will grow exponentially with later releases. The organizations need to play to win whether it's maneuvering in teams of two or twenty.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 07-16-2018 at 02:39 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Community admins with basic admin powers on servers to allow us to change maps, kick(not ban) TKers, and keep things going smoothly.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Community admins with basic admin powers on servers to allow us to change maps, kick(not ban) TKers, and keep things going smoothly.
    It was a thing; we used to have administration powers on the server but at some point the functionality broke and, if it has been returned, the method isn't particularly user-friendly.

USA General of the Army

With the new officer aspect of the game, not being part of a group, is he to become immediately considered out of formation and thus subject to the 20 second desertion rule, if he is the last man standing if he went into battle with 10 men and they were all killed off, leaving the officer standing alone? I have on many occasions been with 10 men and I was the last man standing and when killed I was considered out of line when in fact I was not, as just plain ole regular infantry man. I was just the last man to die. I dont think its fair that and officer has 20 seconds to find a large group of men, when he was the last man standing. he may not have enough time to find another group of men. this may need to be tweaked, I would say caused more harm than good trying to worry about and Rambo Officer. I dont take ever the officer mode, due to not being able to reload a revolver when I fired off my measly 6 shots. I cant pick up a rifle off the field of battle, and my name has my rank above my head, and better to have a rifle, for their is no advantage of playing as an officer yet in this game. so why bother worrying about being an officer.

Other wise Just aim at all the infantry, kill them off knowing 20 seconds later the officer will be just as gone. just as dead and just out of line. Or no one will want to take the officer role. just pointing this out, for if it hasnt happened yet, this will very soon. and how many players will be just as upset with this new rule and quit playing the game as well. when the community is trying to get the players back into the game.
    Last edited by calmmyst; 07-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calmmyst View Post
    With the new officer aspect of the game, not being part of a group, is he to become immediately considered out of formation and thus subject to the 20 second desertion rule, if he is the last man standing if he went into battle with 10 men and they were all killed off, leaving the officer standing alone? I have on many occasions been with 10 men and I was the last man standing and when killed I was considered out of line when in fact I was not, as just plain ole regular infantry man. I was just the last man to die. I dont think its fair that and officer has 20 seconds to find a large group of men, when he was the last man standing. he may not have enough time to find another group of men. this may need to be tweaked, I would say caused more harm than good trying to worry about and Rambo Officer. I dont take ever the officer mode, due to not being able to reload a revolver when I fired off my measly 6 shots. I cant pick up a rifle off the field of battle, and my name has my rank above my head, and better to have a rifle, for their is no advantage of playing as an officer yet in this game. so why bother worrying about being an officer.

Other wise Just aim at all the infantry, kill them off knowing 20 seconds later the officer will be just as gone. just as dead and just out of line. Or no one will want to take the officer role. just pointing this out, for if it hasnt happened yet, this will very soon. and how many players will be just as upset with this new rule and quit playing the game as well. when the community is trying to get the players back into the game.
    Thank you for the feedback.

The officer has no place on the field alone. He's there to command men. You are correct, this will happen likely happen from time to time.

It is worth noting that an officer "killed" by this new rule does not cost his team any morale (I realize it says the normal "out of line" stuff when you die currently - this will be updated to better reflect what is happening).

We also have the ability to teleport the officer back to spawn instead of killing him - we opted with killing him as teleports (vanishing players) are more immersion breaking than dying ones.

With all of the above being said, we'll naturally monitor how the class plays out in the following weeks and adjust based off of you guys's feedback.

- Trusty

CSA Major

Look at it this way if you 20 people and they all died you didn't lead a very good assault so after the 20 seconds are up you will be with your men at spawn ready to lead them again I see no problem with that at all
    If you lead unsuccessful charges u are with your men dead also