Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Idea for skirmishes

USA General of the Army

LOL how about adding a time warp to the RR bridge and pontoon, so its as long as the burnside bridge. I know wont happen, it just shows how determined the CSA Players are getting across it, versus the union players over such a little bridge on the Antietam map, They mostly quit when it comes up. they dont see the CSA quit. we have a longer run, with no where to hide. so when can we get the use of artillery and rain down ahead of our troops and walk the Fire in giving our boys a chance on this one? as they follow the steal rain in.

USA Brigadier General

Don't let us drive this thread into a "which side has it harder" thread. That's not the topic.

The topic is a collection of suggestions to make skirmishing more enjoyable.

Since I am the main author and I am a billy yank most of the thread is written in the view of the US but I had help from some johnny revs who helped me and they said the same. Most time they have to hold a position which is totally superior or completely undefendable which is also annoying like running against them.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

Thank you Maximus. This isn't the four Yorkshiremen sketch. This is what is mainly seen the the US perspective and why we're unable to bring and decent numbers to arms anymore. We're bored. War of Rights has become boring.

USA General of the Army

I like the aspect of multiple objectives per map, to make it a total victory, or a draw. with larger map area of play, I for one hate the fact that I got 20 seconds to get back into bounds, I get it keep out of spawn areas, but when they give us the horse to ride , one will no sooner get on it to get off it, so whats the point of ever introducing it to begin with. I must admit i want the horse, but then this will have to make the maps larger. to stitch all of harpers ferry into one large map, thats 7 capture points right there. Then with artillery, the map will have to be larger. these 2 aspects alone will bring people back into the game, but Im not concerned, due to if the game is released before its truly ready, will become problematic. The DEVS have this, they are doing a great job. But lets be fair about the aspect of this, I would rather never cross that RR bridge nor that pontoon and just shell from the heights. for I hate that crossing that much, but I dont quit, because of it. thus why I hate playing on the union side. and Ive seen both sides never engage, to force a new map.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Thank you Maximus. This isn't the four Yorkshiremen sketch. This is what is mainly seen the the US perspective and why we're unable to bring and decent numbers to arms anymore. We're bored. War of Rights has become boring.
    Sorry to hear it.

Please keep the suggestions coming - we're listening.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    A lot of people appreciate drilling more than skirmishing which should be like that (even if I like it as a company commander ^^ )
    A divided community ?

My humble insights on this topic are that we have a two-split community :

1. Historical purists / reenactors : A part wants historical drills, movement, orders and line battles in what they believe should be historical accurate.
    2. The gamers : Another part want to play the maps and see it more like a game in a civil war setting.

Both don't think much of each other sometimes, 1 thinks that 2 is just competitive and plays lacking honor while 2 believes 1 takes things way to serious and trying to prevent them playing the game as they please.
    Now we have an unique opportunity to bring the community closer together and learn from each other.

Same old shit, different day ?

I read that's it's getting hard to find something new and exiting about WoR and that we keep doing the same stuff all over … until we get bored ?
    It's true that 'tried and tested' tactics are often used leaving less room for dynamic plays which even degrade when tickets start running out -> Suggestions :

1) Line battle server : only with maps that are suitable for line battles with an 'interesting' part at similar range/terrain for both sides to traverse without cap and with even tickets (even weapons or specials units I leave in the middle)
    2) Skirmish servers : Corn maps, wood maps, city maps --> fast paced maps where we can get up close and do the tango ! (for testing a nice old wild west town with some pistols and rifles works for me, including a piano and a brothel)
    3) Big maps : maps with multiple points to cap (moveable front line) -> see battlefield 1
    4) Drill server with both factions : this could greatly help to educate the 'men' in combat situations, however this would imply a mature attitude and zero troll policy.

Another system to keep it more dynamic --> like 'Verdun' where both sides charge (burnsides bridge or Harpers Ferry) in turns.

Real questions not fully answered : What do we want ? What do the devs see as priority ? Why do people stop playing ?

For me the crashes are a gamebreaker which prevent me from doing my duty.

Are you suggesting a vote on all maps which are popular, and then comment on the maps which aren't and how they could be changed ?
    Last edited by Redleader; 07-06-2018 at 02:48 AM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    It's not only the Union who sadly is bestowed this faith, it's a more general fatigue that has befallen our community (off course holiday and 'steam sales' have a part in it).
    Did we overdo it with the events in the weekend ? Mostly if officers or the driving force in a regiment stops ... numbers spiral down.
    Now in all honesty, but maybe the current faction balance and playstyle partially led to the loss of motivation in Union players ? It isn't much fun for new Union players sometimes !

CSA Lieutenant General

#rescueWoR
    Last edited by Johnny Walker; 07-06-2018 at 05:54 AM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post

Real questions not fully answered : What do we want ? What do the devs see as priority ? Why do people stop playing ?

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]For me the crashes are a gamebreaker which prevent me from doing my duty.

[/FONT][/SIZE]
    What do we want?

- We (3rd AL + Howitzers 1st. Co.) would like to see servers without a timer and just on tickets. Seems people rush to much and forget tactics. You have large enough maps to manoeuvre around on but it almost never happens its mostly mass vs mass without any consideration for tactical movement. Quoting from 1st Manassass "You have been turned!" You can divide the guys on the servers into 2 or 3 groups for some more tactical interesting (line / Skirmish / Combination of both) battles.

- Bigger maps with multiple capture points

- Whats on the agenda? What are you Devs working on? Which roadblocks are you hitting? Some maps are a few years old when you had the old engine(screenshots indieDB and the older reports) how much work is it converting them into the updated version of the Cry-engine? Like the last report you where working on the musicians how is that progress going?

For the rest you cant overkill a game. Going full on each week(end) eventually leads to people having enough of it. Thats just something you need to manage within your own company. That is also apart of gaming you can not prevent that but making some game features more interesting and have servers with different rules or without a timer or more capture points will help this game a lot! in our humble opinion.