Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Idea for skirmishes

USA Brigadier General

@Trusty

i don't think anyone has a problem with the capture points themselves, rather with the lack of different conditions how a round one can go off. A mix of different conditions on different cards would be wonderful. cards with a cap point, cards with several, maybe a card without a point or whatever you can think of.

The "problem" are not the capture points but the repetitive gameplay. Every map feels like more or less the same.

EDIT:

and like carter said: when is the time to experiment if not now?
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by FakeMessiah27 View Post
    A game mode without a capture point would indeed be a Team Deathmatch, and I don't think that's such a bad thing. Some teams might try to camp somewhere sure, but right now the capture point forces every team, on every map, to camp every time. Defenders can't decide to set up shop somewhere else for a change because they'll lose the capture point. The only difference is that in a TDM, the players get to decide what to fight over instead of the game telling them where to camp.
    I’m seeing plenty of non camping due to the shifting I described above. No cap points would likely result in both teams taking on the defensive role (and rightly so, if we’re talking kills and deaths it is always better to be the defender). It would most likely often end up with the time simply running out and no real progress being made (as no team is “forced”) to attack nor defend.

- Trusty

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I’m seeing plenty of non camping due to the shifting I described above. No cap points would likely result in both teams taking on the defensive role (and rightly so, if we’re talking kills and deaths it is always better to be the defender). It would most likely often end up with the time simply running out and no real progress being made (as no team is “forced”) to attack nor defend.

- Trusty
    but it gives the companies the freedom to have roleplay or reenactment events. it may be agreed who defends or who attacks. Of course, the one with the better position will want to defend and hold the position.

if you know me a little bit, you know that I don't like to use the following reference.

In MB: Napoleonic Wars also had maps without a cap point or any restriction. The map or the geography has quasi given who will attack and who did not. a close hill had it of course occupied and set up artillery above. We don't have artillery yet but this kind of gameplay gives a lot of freedom to the players who can fill it according to their wishes.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

- Trusty
    So keep the ideas coming but we are not going to test them? Which ideas do you like so far and you guys considering?

So far we have:

- Removing the Cap point (seems like a no no)
    - Adding Cap Points
    - Removing the clock
    - Random map conditions
    - Bigger maps

Could be missing a few ideas brought in from the community

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    So keep the ideas coming but we are not going to test them? Which ideas do you like so far and you guys considering?

So far we have:

- Removing the Cap point (seems like a no no)
    - Adding Cap Points
    - Removing the clock
    - Random map conditions
    - Bigger maps

Could be missing a few ideas brought in from the community
    Just because I don’t believe in something does not mean we won’t test it.

If I were to only speak of things we’ll most certainly test I’d never be able to reply to any of you.

- Trusty

CSA Major

- Trusty
    Then why not try a capture zone that runs the length of the map to the rear of the defenders? This still results in attackers/defenders but also allows freedom of tactical movement by commanders. Have a longer cap time to compensate for the increased time it would take to organise the attack/defence across a larger area, and incorporate the historically relevant locations within the cap zone. If you wanted to create a more 'granular' experience, have the cap counter speed up if you are actually on the currently existing cap point, and make it really slow if attackers simply camp in a corner, but it should still be possible to win by holding other locations. Take this to represent piercing the line and getting into the rear areas.

CSA Captain

I agree with LaBelle who posted on the first page of this thread, polishing what we already have. But, I am open to whatever will save the community from dying out or losing interest as long as we don't turn into an arcade styled game.

Removing the Cap point and time would be interesting forcing a very real seek and destroy type of gameplay. Adding Cap points to simulate a moving frontline sounds very appealing and could be done. ( I don't see how multiple caps is the same thing as "Historcial Battles" since in that mode you will have multiple engagements across a huge map. So two smartly located caps on each skirmish map wouldn't be totally the same thing...)

Maybe even also tweaking the original spawn points of both teams on every map to ensure that's where the forces moved from in the beginning of the real skimrishes. I am not very familiar with every fight during Antietam in real life, but I thought that for example Dunkards Church fight the Confederates moved in from the south to the North and it wasn't fought from west to east at the Church, I could be wrong like I said I am not familiar too much with the movements of both sides during Antietam. So, double checking that each team is spawning where it should be like the real counter parts might help. (if the spawns are right ignore this my bad)

Another thing that might help attackers, and make defenders consider more on how they defend.....is to possibly look at the fences. I will admit the fences seem to soak a lot of bullets and I myself personally almost NEVER fire at a target behind a fence unless I am within maybe 20 feet, or unless I am ordered to by my superior. The fences seem to make it difficult for an attacker, and easy for a defender, especially when there is barely any room for flanking on some maps. The civil war and this type of warfare was all about flanking and covering flanks.

I really like this game and understand its only Alpha, but come on. The devs had have to notice that the Union has lost a lot of people to turn out, and hopefully the CSA wont end up like that either. So there is a problem regardless. A lot of you have spoken some very good ideas and I hope they are heard out and even some considered by the devs. Another thing to keep in mind you they could add something to peak our interest with the means to get us all online to 'test' the game. I bet that if they released a server for a small time that didn't have a cap point and was solely about working with your team against the other team and duking it out, I bet a lot of people would show up for that. Keep the ideas coming though don't be afraid if they will be ignored or discarded, now is thinking time.
    Last edited by C. Moser; 07-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by C. Moser View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind you they could add something to peak our interest with the means to get us all online to 'test' the game. I bet that if they released a server for a small time that didn't have a cap point and was solely about working with your team against the other team and duking it out, I bet a lot of people would show up for that. Keep the ideas coming though don't be afraid if they will be ignored or discarded, now is thinking time.
    hear, hear
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

USA Brigadier General

Just because I don’t believe in something does not mean we won’t test it.
    a answer like "I dont think it will work but maybe we will test it one time" gives a far better feeling

there is a huge difference between both answers. The 2nd one give the feeling that you got the message and the suggestion wasn't a waste of time to write.

CSA Captain

Can we get the option to change volume levels?
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!