Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini radar that is lightly transparant on only shows 5 ft around you.

CSA Brigadier General

I'm part of a great company and yes, I do attend drills to become better as a unit but even in a great company, people come and go and veterans aren't always around. This would help out across the board not only in pick up games, but private server games games as well (whenever that will be). Why not streamline it just a little and make it better? Private servers are on the horizon but how far on the horizon? I'm not privy on that information so I really don't know. Maybe make it lockable option for private servers that don't want to use it.

CSA Brigadier General

no radar, no mini map. you want to know what's around you... hope they have cavalry

CSA Captain

Peripheral vision is heresy in this community. I applaud your attempt, though - would be a good way to have spatial awareness without having third person.
    Major H.P. Bouldin, 18th Virginia Infantry

Give me Kentucky Volunteers, or Give me Death!

Jostling around to form a straight line is a feature.

USA Major

maybe turn your head and look at the guy next to you?

I don't think a minimap would be right for a civil war game. In the heat of the momnent, you focus on your orders, the guy next to you, and the guy in front of you who's trying to kill you.

USA Private

No minimap. Pressing T gives us enough unrealistic advantages already.. that option alone makes it feel super gamey.
    Sergeant in the 1st Cav.

aka HARRY GODWIN

CSA Captain

The miniradar as described (maybe after pressing "T") would be realistic. This should be disabled when suppression effects are triggered.
    In real life you can feel, hear or overall have sense of others near you and you have peripheral sight. In game you are limited to very narrow field of view granted by your monitor and the sound you hear in game is very limited - this is gamey; implementing instrument fixing that is not.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    The miniradar as described (maybe after pressing "T") would be realistic. This should be disabled when suppression effects are triggered.
    In real life you can feel, hear or overall have sense of others near you and you have peripheral sight. In game you are limited to very narrow field of view granted by your monitor and the sound you hear in game is very limited - this is gamey; implementing instrument fixing that is not.
    I agree. The game needs a way to implement special awareness. An enemy soldier shouldn't be able to stand two feet behind you and kill people next to you and you not have any means to be aware of it. Also, it would make forming and maintaining lines much more realistic. It should also be a feature with a separate key for toggling it on and off. All that is needs is a small transparent display showing near by soldiers as dots. Enemy could be identified but you could still keep your fog of war by not doing so. The mini display would just act as a warning to look around if someone is behind you.

Right now the "look" feature is to difficult to use in a battle situation. The keyboard controls are just to clunky. Maybe if a VR head set was supported and all you had to do was turn your head to "look" but right now a artificial aide is needed.
    Lightfoot

USA Captain

Don't really understand how people claim it's too "game like" to add a mini-map/radar like this. If you want the real deal, then why even play a game like this in the first place?
    I agree with what some are saying here. A game limits the use of your basic sense so much that it becomes impossible to really get a grip of where you are. I am part of a good unit and solid company, but there are just things (like advancing in a battle line) that just becomes almost impossible because of the fact it is a game. Something like a radar or "sense display" ,which shows alongisde the formation info when you press -T-, would really be a good addition I feel.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Chekerz View Post
    Don't really understand how people claim it's too "game like" to add a mini-map/radar like this. If you want the real deal, then why even play a game like this in the first place?
    I agree with what some are saying here. A game limits the use of your basic sense so much that it becomes impossible to really get a grip of where you are. I am part of a good unit and solid company, but there are just things (like advancing in a battle line) that just becomes almost impossible because of the fact it is a game. Something like a radar or "sense display" ,which shows alongisde the formation info when you press -T-, would really be a good addition I feel.
    I personally think a small semi-transparent mini map in one of the screen corners less intrusive than the current "T" screen that blots out the upper center of the screen. All the "T" screen important information could easily be reduced in size and added to a "mini-map" overlay in the upper right corner. Information about gun and soldier state could be reduced to symbols and put over there too. Let the user adjust the transparency in the UI to their liking and everyone should be happy as a Yankee putting a bayonet through a Reb Officer.
    Lightfoot