Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekend Community Line Battle Events

CSA Brigadier General

I was operating under these rules.

Screenshot_20180911-141846.jpg

If you are referring to something else, please bring it up and post the rules. I do disagree with your choice of blasting your feelings in such a public way, not only on this forum but my personal youtube channel without reaching out to us to clarify why we did what we did.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    We're hoping for another epic 150-man Double-rank Line Battle this Sunday at 8 PM EST,

While we realize this is a public server and nobody is obligated to follow our "rules" during our events, we do want to provide some guidelines, agreed upon by the organizing companies, for the benefit of other companies that would also like to participate but maybe aren't clear about the expectations,

Encouraged,
    Double-rank formation
    Multiple 'In Formation' lines working cooperatively
    Maneuvering is highly encouraged (because line battles where one side never moves are intensely boring)
    Kneeling in 'Skirmishing' formation to conceal location, ambush the enemy, disguise screening movements, etc.
    Bayonet charges

Discouraged,
    Establishing a defensive position which is out of bounds to the enemy (again, this is really, really boring)
    Volleys from artificial cover (namely, standing in houses or behind railings and fences)
    Fighters 'Out Of Formation' (snipers, bushwhackers, lonewolves, or whatever they want to call themselves only eat up tickets for their own team)
    Breech-loading rifles (exceptions allowed once muzzle-loading roster is full)
    ^ Just in case my fellow's reply was too small for any of you to read. Good day.

quote came from : https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...PM-EST)/page12
    Last edited by C. Moser; 09-11-2018 at 08:17 PM.

CSA Brigadier General

Thanks Moser, I'm on my phone.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by C. Moser View Post
    ^ Just in case my fellow's reply was too small for any of you to read. Good day.

quote came from : https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...PM-EST)/page12
    So by reading this I understand it as this, there really are NO rules just recommendations...hmmmm well I was told differently countless of times in voice chat etc. As for the comment on your youtube Shocktroop I apologize and deleted it but that was before I posted it on here and I feel it DOES need to be brought up, I never directly pointed the finger at any one regiment but how the line battle was conducted overall and yes csa waiting behind hill wasn't cool but you guys decimated us so we were waiting for spawns to come to our depleted lines so we could resume a proper line battle again and as you know the spawn distances are the most of any map on that particular map as well as coordination going on between commanders on what to do next so it felt to you guys like we were camping. See this is why hard to get these 'events' right because so many assumptions as you see on my part and others on both sides.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    Totally upset in how Monday night's supposedly 'line battle' was played out. Union side broke two major rules, you guys moved out to take the point when attacking side is not suppose to take the point because will end line battle quicker second rule broken is you were all in a massive line firing in crouch/skirmish mode at the point bringing the clock down to fast which is why we charged ..... what happened? I thought this was suppose to be a line battle with agreed upon rules, no wonder we got obliterated on csa side because we follow the rules and stood in line unlike our counterparts. Lot of us aren't going to do these silly neat line battle rules until everyone abides by them, we will next time not form in lines out in open but sit behinds rocks/bushes and fences and win that way, all I will say on the matter. You can witness all I talk about in Shock Trooper's Video. It's like they got caught in the heat of the moment of having fun and totally forgot about the rules they talked about for the first half of the video.
    Why still do them? This is not intended as an inflammatory remark, it's a genuine question. People clearly don't like doing these events unless it's for an official event, because they simply are not as fun, you even pointed it out yourself by how the Union "...got caught in the heat of the moment of having fun...". All I see now are more and more units getting angrier at each other because someone broke whatever rules were in place as they attempt to fight in a 'line battle'. Plus, these line battles provide no real strategic challenge or even opportunity, so of course people do not want to follow them.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 09-12-2018 at 12:10 AM.

CSA Major

we have been trying to do these line battles since last july and they never work and this weekends event wont work either why do you ask because we cant force anyone to do anything they dont want to do and once one person or group sees one person or group doing something they do it also and poof there goes the line battle most of these so called events last a grand total of about 5min before one group hides behind a fence bush or what ever

so as mcmuffin says why the hell do them it wont work period so just play the game as the maps come up and do what you want and then there is no hard feeling on either side again we have been trying to do this for well over a year it wont work
    just my view since i have attended probably 95% of these events

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Why still do them? This is not intended as an inflammatory remark, it's a genuine question. People clearly don't like doing these events unless it's for an official event, because they simply are not as fun, you even pointed it out yourself by how the Union "...got caught in the heat of the moment of having fun...". All I see now are more and more units getting angrier at each other because someone broke whatever rules were in place as they attempt to fight in a 'line battle'. Plus, these line battles provide no real strategic challenge or even opportunity, so of course people do not want to follow them.
    Agreed. There is no strategy involved, maybe if there were several hundred players on a server...then sure. Plus I feel CSA is always at a disadvantage as union typically have better rifles for the long range we engage in.

CSA Captain

Some thoughts:

Line Battle. This term is confusing, and we need to stop using it since ALL our events are fought in lines, ragged, parade ground style, or otherwise.

Double Ranks. Worked great in the real Civil War, but in the real thing they could have upwards of a thousand men, here we do not, two ranks means a MUCH shorter front, which is why single rank lines allow us to extend frontage and thus it feels/looks like a bigger battle.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    Some thoughts:

Line Battle. This term is confusing, and we need to stop using it since ALL our events are fought in lines, ragged, parade ground style, or otherwise.

Double Ranks. Worked great in the real Civil War, but in the real thing they could have upwards of a thousand men, here we do not, two ranks means a MUCH shorter front, which is why single rank lines allow us to extend frontage and thus it feels/looks like a bigger battle.
    Visually, yes, the lines would look smaller, but there's plenty of reasons why you would use double ranks. I think in these events, just let people fight, we almost always form lines or use a civil war tactic. We do not need to waste our breath and energy trying to enforce rule that usually do not even make sense.

CSA Major

Event tonight at 8pm EST/1am GMT in 1ST GEORGIA REGULARS server, all are welcome and organized groups are encouraged to come, REFRESH THE SERVER BROWSER MULTIPLE TIMES UNTIL YOU SEE IT!!!
    Last edited by Warboy; 12-08-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)