Thread: Suppression System Feedback

USA Major

Suppression System Feedback

I played maybe 4-5 maps tonight on Harpers Ferry and here are my initial thoughts on the new suppression system:

I was around 5 or so guys and they slowly got killed after some skirmishing... next thing I know it seemed like my guy was having a heart-attack. I couldn't even retreat properly as everything was blurry and I couldn't see 10 feet away from me to even locate my guys. Then I got rushed and could neither aim or focus enough to even defend myself.

Another time I was loading in a corner behind a building and there's no way enemy bullets were coming anywhere near me and still my guy was acting like he was heavily suppressed. I can see how this can work and it needs more testing but right now it feels way too strong too me. When my musket is wildly waving around and I can't even defend myself that makes zero sense to me. That replicates someone who could in no way perform under fire and some guys could in that situation and some guys couldn't but the way it is know NOBODY can.

At one point while we were in a heavy fight it suppressed a bit and it actually felt pretty good and I was almost feeling the fear and frenzy of the fight so wherever it is now, I would halve that and see how that works.

* I think I put this in the wrong section... maybe move to suggestions/ideas?
    Last edited by Shiloh; 08-06-2018 at 05:15 AM.

USA Captain

Grey or blue?

I was there at Sunday evening event (2am CEST) at Harper's. This time I was fighting in a grey coat and fought with the II. Corps (mostly A Company). Saw a lot of fights and charges. So far, here's my feedback:

IMMERSION
    Got massively improved. You get influenced by everything: your unit receives a hefty volley? Your sight is blurred and you feel shocked. The guy next to you gets shot? Shocking! The other guy in front of you just fell over with a "squishy sound"? SHOCK! And once you're in the middle of a melee fight, your sight gets more and more blurry the bloodier that entire thing gets. In a way, the chaos of battle is displayed in a very believeable way.

GAMEPLAY
    All the immersion comes with a cost: gameplay suffers. It's less of an issue as long as you fight in a line or a well managed skirmish formation. When it comes to charge attacks and melee fights, the suppression system fully kicks in: you can't see much, time seems to move a tad slower / your soldier moves a bit slower. Color is gone and so, grey and blue coats look all the same. You charge into that enemy formation, friends behind you, you stab one guy in front of you and then you get stabbed, once, twice, you die. By friendly fire, because the guy behind you couldn't determine the color of your uniform. Dead, killed by your own brother in arms.

I like the system and I like the implementation. However, especially in melee fights it seems to have a too strong impact on gameplay, making melee charges almost too difficult to handle.
    Also, on Harper's Ferry there's that one scenario with the house you have to take as a Reb: you can't. You simply can't do that anymore since the suppression systems makes impossible to charge said house through doors and fight on even ground. Whomever is in there first wins, unless heavily outnumbered.
    Ingame Nick: [KRT.2ndAuriga]Cpt.Data
    I'm not part of any Company: KRT is a clan playing Star Citizen and 2ndAuriga means I'm member of the 2nd wing of the Auriga Squadron.

I liked the idea of making your hands shake and stamina down a bit, but I think the visual effect of the gray screen or something is a bit much, especially by yourself and low numbers when arty or something hits and may need to be dialed down a bit because of how over the top it can get. It get's to a point where it's not immersive, just stupid looking, the shakey hands are the most realistic part about all of it. I understand that it's meant to punish people off by themselves, and overall it's not a big deal since most people shouldn't be by themselves or are with a group, but still/. Aside from that, the system seems fine.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by CptData View Post
    Grey or blue?

I was there at Sunday evening event (2am CEST) at Harper's. This time I was fighting in a grey coat and fought with the II. Corps (mostly A Company). Saw a lot of fights and charges. So far, here's my feedback:

IMMERSION
    Got massively improved. You get influenced by everything: your unit receives a hefty volley? Your sight is blurred and you feel shocked. The guy next to you gets shot? Shocking! The other guy in front of you just fell over with a "squishy sound"? SHOCK! And once you're in the middle of a melee fight, your sight gets more and more blurry the bloodier that entire thing gets. In a way, the chaos of battle is displayed in a very believeable way.

GAMEPLAY
    All the immersion comes with a cost: gameplay suffers. It's less of an issue as long as you fight in a line or a well managed skirmish formation. When it comes to charge attacks and melee fights, the suppression system fully kicks in: you can't see much, time seems to move a tad slower / your soldier moves a bit slower. Color is gone and so, grey and blue coats look all the same. You charge into that enemy formation, friends behind you, you stab one guy in front of you and then you get stabbed, once, twice, you die. By friendly fire, because the guy behind you couldn't determine the color of your uniform. Dead, killed by your own brother in arms.

I like the system and I like the implementation. However, especially in melee fights it seems to have a too strong impact on gameplay, making melee charges almost too difficult to handle.
    Also, on Harper's Ferry there's that one scenario with the house you have to take as a Reb: you can't. You simply can't do that anymore since the suppression systems makes impossible to charge said house through doors and fight on even ground. Whomever is in there first wins, unless heavily outnumbered.
    I was blue.

I agree that a little bit of the shaking, blurred vision, etc. is okay but it all seemed like a bit much to me. I'm pretty sure my guy _______ his pants at one point as he couldn't function basically at all and to me that would be the extreme case of someone being entirely unable to perform in combat which happens in real life, but is not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I liked the idea of making your hands shake and stamina down a bit, but I think the visual effect of the gray screen or something is a bit much, especially by yourself and low numbers when arty or something hits and may need to be dialed down a bit because of how over the top it can get. It get's to a point where it's not immersive, just stupid looking, the shakey hands are the most realistic part about all of it. I understand that it's meant to punish people off by themselves, and overall it's not a big deal since most people shouldn't be by themselves or are with a group, but still/. Aside from that, the system seems fine.
    Agreed.