Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17th Michigan "stonewall" regiment recruiting

17th is still looking for a few good men!

CSA Captain

Top notch boys these are, join up Yanks!
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Gentlemen, the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment has positions available for all good soldiers! We participate in events and drill regularly. Attendance is not required. We are dedicated to excellence, but still able to relax and just enjoy killing rebs.

Please feel free to reach out to Lieutenant Colonel Lind for more information on how to join us!

Quote Originally Posted by NoStepBack View Post

About Our Unit

Mission statement will be released once the company becomes official on the company tool!

History before Antietam

The 17th was organized at Detroit, Michigan, under Colonel William Withington and Lieutenant Colonel Constance Luce from August 8th through 22nd, 1862. Colonel Withigton earned the Medal of Honor at Bull Run where he was wounded and captured while serving as a captain in the 1st Michigan Infantry. On August 27th, 1862 the 17th left the state for Washington, D.C.; Attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment would first be engaged at the Battle of South mountain, and according to their marker at the battlefield "The fighting began around 9:00 a.m. just south of this site. Around noon a Confederate battery opened fire on the regiment, which was supporting Cook’s Massachusetts Battery. The 17th held its position for several hours. At 4:00 p.m. the command ws given for an assault along the entire Union line. The Confederates came out of the woods to meet the charge at a fence line in the middle of the field, then moved back to the stone walls along the crest of the hill. The 17th advanced and captured the stone walls. Of the 500 men of the “Stonewall Regiment” engaged in battle here, 27 were killed and 114 wounded, many mortally." The Regiment was afterwards known as the “Stonewall Regiment” for its actions. Colonel Withington was breveted brigadier general for “conspicuous gallantry.”

History during Antietam

During the morning phases of the Battle the 17th Michigan was in reserve on the eastern slope of the ridge on the left bank of the Antietam, nearly opposite the Burnside Bridge. About 2 P.M., after Sturgis’ Division had carried the bridge, the 17th crossed and, following the stream and road to Sharpsburg, filed to the right where the course of the former diverged to the east and formed line on the narrow plateau at the foot of the bluff southeast of this point. After the formation of the Corps line, the 17th advanced, under a heavy fire from Cemetery Hill and the high ground west of the road, to within a few yards of this point where it was checked. The 17th was about to move forward, when the attack of A.P. Hill on the left of the Corps obliged it to fall back to the Antietam, where it remained until the evening of the next day, when it was relieved by Morell’s Division of the Fifth Corps.

History after Antietam

After Antietam the 17th would go on to fight in the Battle of Fredericksburg. The 17th would follow the 9th Corps out west, and joined Grant's army for the Siege of Vicksburg in 1863. The 17th would then see action at Campbell’s Station in 1863. The 9th Corps would then be transferred back over to the east to fight in the overland campaign with Grant in 1864. The 17th would fight in the Siege of Petersburg from 1864-65. The regiment would miss Appomattox in 1865 due to garrisoning the newly captured Petersburg until the end of the war. They participated in the Grand review on May 23, 1865. The 17th finally mustered out of service on June 3, 1865.

17th Michigan marker at Antietam

Weekly Event Schedule

Saturday (Drill): 9:30pm EST
    Sunday (Battle): 8:30pm EST
    Monday (Battle): 8:30pm EST

17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Add someone on our staff on Steam and we will be glad to answer any questions you may have and get you enlisted into the company.

Thank you Major Tyler of the 9th New York for helping the 17th Michigan create this forum page, and our discord.

Dang the 17th is smexy

Looks good man!

where do i apply? the job link ?

I sent a 'telegram' using the company tool to Captain Lind for consideration. I was a member of the 72nd PA but it disbanded on last Monday, so would like to be considered for the 17th MI. The Company tool still shows me as part of the 72nd, tho and I am not sure how to change that.

CSA Captain

Desert or ask to be discharged
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpytoo View Post
    I sent a 'telegram' using the company tool to Captain Lind for consideration. I was a member of the 72nd PA but it disbanded on last Monday, so would like to be considered for the 17th MI. The Company tool still shows me as part of the 72nd, tho and I am not sure how to change that.
    You can join us by filling out the form at https://17thmi.enjin.com/recruitment
    In addition, you will need to join our discord at https://discord.gg/3eCp9FN

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaGuy View Post
    You can join us by filling out the form at https://17thmi.enjin.com/recruitment
    In addition, you will need to join our discord at https://discord.gg/3eCp9FN
    I looked at the page. I'm in NA and EST. Your events for July are at times that are during the day for me, making them almost impossible for me to make. Are most of your events at that same time?