Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugler Needed

CSA Brigadier General

Bugler Needed

You need a Bugler to sound charge and retreat or a drummer boy.

Please have a look at this developer report

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport36

At the moment, many companies using the ingame voice chat and playing bugle calls through the mic.
    There are even some live buglers and fifer infront of the PC, playing live during the events.

We would like to add the musician class in the near future.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 08-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Please have a look at this developer report

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport36

At the moment, many companies using the ingame voice chat and playing bugle calls through the mic.
    There are even some live buglers and fifer infront of the PC, playing live during the events.

That would be a fine idea.

Respectfully,
    BG.John Hunt Morgan

You have to remember with any special class like that then that you're delegating authority in a sense. You don't do it recklessly. In a way a bugler has as much authority as an officer. Both of which are presumably randomly acquired by any random person on the internet who owns the game. What's to stop a bugler (who may have little-to-no other purpose, definitely give him a musket too) to do all sorts of false bugle calls? If you want the classes to be anything more than a formality and the game to not be a troll-fest anywhere outside of events with admins then you have to think these things out.

I suggested before when it came to any player (so privates can also build gravitas) that there be a simple up/down vote each player can apply or reapply to any other player which is recorded somewhere universal. That allows you to bump less favorable players from special roles. So I would be playing as an NCO but someone senior to me would take the role and the next time I die then I would have to select a class again if I was the least senior person playing that class who would get bumped. Trolling a class like the bugler class would get you downvotes and the market of that would eventually start to sort itself out.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

We've been using Soundpad to play bugle calls in game. I know I am not playing my bugle and chance waking up the 9 month old.

And hopefully do some corrections to the musicians kit. Let me know when you want a list...
    Last edited by SwingKid148; 08-15-2018 at 12:45 PM.

USA Lieutenant General

Alright guys cut out the uniform stuff. It will get fixed when the time is right. Let’s not push the issue.

Thanks

USA Captain

Ease up Kyle. Just offering some knowledge if they so wish it from my 10+ years as a bugler in the hobby.
    Last edited by SwingKid148; 08-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    And hopefully do some corrections to the musicians kit. Let me know when you want a list...
    What kind of corrections?
    Suggestions are always welcomed.

Last edited by Hinkel; 08-15-2018 at 01:49 PM.

USA Captain

What kind of corrections?
    Suggestions are always welcomed.
    For details on the birdcage (or musician facing) you can read the Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States (My copy is from 1861) from Article LI, Statement 1456. There is no diagram in the regulations but there images available from the Official Quartermaster General Photograph collections of 1861-1862.
    b0463eb4b16fb3abdc1e187e386ec293.jpg
    I have seen other images of more of a smooth bird cage than that presented by the QM. I have also seen images of the bird cage having a crescent at the shoulders.

Now for the coats of musicians from special uniformed regiments such as Zouaves or state militia coats, you can refer to the same line as above in the Revised Regulations. Although that would seem to suggest there were bird cages on Zouave jackets or militia jackets which I haven't found images to support this theory.

Musicians of all rank were issued the NCO plate or depending upon the state a buckle used by the color bearers of the US spoon and wreath. You can see in the colorized photo above.

One issue with the QM plates is they did not use the 1840 Musician's swords for the images. This sword is similar to the NCO 1840 Sword. Here is a good website for reference on the differences:
    https://civilwartalk.com/threads/m-1...y-ames.109658/

For the different musicians:
    Buglers typically would have a cap pouch to carry a spare mouthpiece
    Fifers would have a cylindrical black leather case for the fife
    Drummers have the brass drum stick holder which you have and an addition to the model would be the braided white cord at the bottom of the drum to allow the drummer to sling the drum or keep it in contact with their leg.

If you want images or more details I can go cruise for some more images.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Musicians of all rank were issued the NCO plate or depending upon the state a buckle used by the color bearers of the US spoon and wreath.
    Thank you very much for the references.
    But still, you can find many civil war photos, in which musicians had a regular oval US buckle as well as a regular frock coat. Some even have sack coats.

I doubt that all musicians were perfectly outfitted during the battle, like they were on a parade.

Last edited by Hinkel; 08-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.