Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pro tips on close combat?

USA Captain

Any pro tips on close combat?

So anyone got any?

My biggest playing issue is not being very good at close combat. My problem is years of training in confirming your target before firing or in this case melee fighting. And sometimes that is hard to do in crazy fighting especially when hurt and you can't tell who is who. Hesitation gets me killed more often than not. Too bad you can't hip fire at close range. (Maybe that is an idea.) I know you can use the "v" button to stay in melee mode, but I don't know if it's me or a bug, but some times I get all stabby without hitting the left mouse and I'm afraid to hit the person running in front of me in a charge. (So if I ever accidentally poke someone in a charge know it wasn't on purpose.)

Anyway, I've waffled on enough. If you have any tips or suggestions, feel free to post it. I'm open to pretty much anything.

CSA Captain

The only tips I can give you is pick your targets wisely in close range, and fall back as needed, or advance as needed. But prioritizing your targets a big one for me, I suggest aim at officers in close combat or whoever is aiming at you or just whoever is the biggest threat to you that very second. I hope this makes sense, it also helps to have good buddys by your side! Just keep playing you should get good eventually. (Not saying you aren't)

USA Major

1) Lateral movement is abysmal so stick hard then back up quick and try and get out of the bayonet strike you know is coming at you.
    2) Also on large charges sweep around in a wide arc and envelop or come up behind the enemy as the mass of fighting will be in the middle and at the first point of contact and it's a great way to get in behind guys and stab them in the back.
    3) If 2 of your guys are fighting 1 of the enemy, stay out of that fight as in a 3 on 1 one of you is likely to stab another friendly.
    4) Look twice before stabbing once. I know it's happening quick but be sure to identify the target as an enemy before sticking your bayonet through their gut. It's the number one way guys get TK'ed.
    5) None of us are pros. Until they add parrying it really is very basic and some luck/bad luck is involved. If you're outnumbered big time and there's a fence next to you or the woods you may want to sprint out of there, find some cover and live to fight another day. You can do very little in melee if you're heavily outnumbered.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 08-07-2018 at 06:33 PM.

USA Captain

All good advice. I try never to get into a dog pile because that is a way to kill your buddies or get yourself killed. The backing up thing is something I'll have to practice. I think it's a keyboard issue with me, I never think back only forward.

I would suggest aim carefully and try to be in range of the bayonet.
    And I would recommended bayonet over the gun buttstock

CSA Sergeant

I find when in a 1v1 bayonet fights that side stepping in a cirlce around the target nets good results in dodging the pointy end. Not always possible but I try to pick the guys in the charge that are a little more secluded. I always find the ones hiding behind the tree or fence praying that I kill their friends first so they can reload lol

CSA Captain

If you're hit in a melee and the screen washes out, hit T, it'll show names above friendly players.
    this has saved me skewering comrades a few times. (just a few though)

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    If you're hit in a melee and the screen washes out, hit T, it'll show names above friendly players.
    this has saved me skewering comrades a few times. (just a few though)
    Great idea.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    So anyone got any?

My biggest playing issue is not being very good at close combat. My problem is years of training in confirming your target before firing or in this case melee fighting. And sometimes that is hard to do in crazy fighting especially when hurt and you can't tell who is who. Hesitation gets me killed more often than not. Too bad you can't hip fire at close range. (Maybe that is an idea.) I know you can use the "v" button to stay in melee mode, but I don't know if it's me or a bug, but some times I get all stabby without hitting the left mouse and I'm afraid to hit the person running in front of me in a charge. (So if I ever accidentally poke someone in a charge know it wasn't on purpose.)

Anyway, I've waffled on enough. If you have any tips or suggestions, feel free to post it. I'm open to pretty much anything.
    My suggestions-
    1. Hit "T" as entering melee and refresh it often
    2. Forward only...
    3. If in the front of the charge stab once and move to next target, if in rear of charge, look to be the 2nd stab on someone for the kill.
    4. Dont stop to shot in front of enemy line, save your shot for the enemy retreating, saves you from chasing enemy too far from your main line.
    5. Target the officers, dont waste time on flag bearer even though they can respawn players, at the rate they come in its not going to turn the tide of the battle. Flag bearer should be last killed.
    6. Take the bullet for your officers, they are going to do more damage than you in melee, save them!!!

I Have a friend that plays this and he love to go in with his rifle held in baseball bat mode and he only hits people once and moves on, strictly to concuss, not to kill...it makes me laugh.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Try to avoid it as much as possible.