Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: auto balance??? Really?

Well as the skirmish mode was meant to be a game-mode where everyone could jump on at any time. This is not tailored for clans or such. Thus the officer and NCO could become just as much a victim to the auto-balance as any other player. Reason why this is a issue at the moment is because we miss a game mode tailored for the many clans already made and active. I personally do not like this balance mode either but maybe this game mode is pushing to much into something that hasn't been released yet in the upcoming battle mode.
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by brentcarter View Post
    Well as the skirmish mode was meant to be a game-mode where everyone could jump on at any time. This is not tailored for clans or such. Thus the officer and NCO could become just as much a victim to the auto-balance as any other player. Reason why this is a issue at the moment is because we miss a game mode tailored for the many clans already made and active. I personally do not like this balance mode either but maybe this game mode is pushing to much into something that hasn't been released yet in the upcoming battle mode.
    While that may be true, it could just as easily be us guessing. Fact is, we know less than nothing about the so called Historical Battle Mode other than a brief mention on that ages old roadmap, and from the blurb about commanding battles as a General that is on the home page. But one thing that is becoming glaringly clear is exactly what you said, Skirmish mode is looking less and less Company/Regiment friendly. In the Company tool you can, in theory, recruit and field a hundred men in ONE comapny, that system is most certainly not going to work for game mode tailored for a hundred and fifty players per map.

Even here, in closed alpha, with a limited number of players, we are seeing the system break down. For example, if II Corps fields sixty men (which does happen sometimes) that leaves only fifteen slots for other CSA outfits, result.....disgruntled CSA players have to go Union. Saturday was a prime example, one CS Regiment went Union by choice, for a Saturday that's normal because the Union do not usually field seventy five players for the NA Saturday event. This Saturday, however, they had a lot more players on which led to a total reverse of what normally happens, and some Union players were having to go CS. Now Confederate players get auto balanced over to the US all the time, but it rarely happens to US players and on Saturday when it did happen well, they were not happy about it, so unhappy in fact that they were fixing bayonets and stabbing friendlies in the spawn. An awful lot of bad feeling among players is being generated by this system, to the point where some Companies are actually being blamed for being 'too big'.

We cannot see beyond Skirmish mode and that is because we have no idea that there actually is anything beyond Skirmish mode. I fully understand the need to keep quiet, as Devs, while a game is still being developed, I fully understand the damage that can be caused if something is mentioned as a possibility, if it then fails to materialize. Having said that, it would help us, as players, if someone could at least tell us that we are not wasting our time here because as Cheeto pointed out, it really does not look like the Company system & the Skirmish mode are going to make pleasant bedfellows.
    Last edited by Sox; 09-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Captain

[QUOTE=McMuffin;83393]I'm countering your point because I can and I have every right to, and I'm not gonna let a cocky, hypocritical person tell me otherwise who thinks that telling other people to not even bother countering his point is an effective defense to his argument. Pretty ironic you tell me to not discard your opinions but one post before you tell me to not even bother countering your post, discarding my opinion.

Anyways, 'q' lines are really only helpful for forming a line, and even then, any unit with a semblance of competency can form a line. Now, if you are working with a majority public players who you cannot communicate as well with, a 'q' line would be helpful, but if you are working with your own unit, you should be able to communicate clearly where you want your unit and what you want it to do. As we saw in the period where there were no 'q' lines, units were plenty able to move and be effective, and even now many people do not use 'q' lines because they do not see it as vital to gameplay with your unit. That brings me to my point of not needing an officer class specifically, you don't. Is it nice to have one, yeah it is, but primarily for cosmetic reasons. No class or player should be exempt from the auto balance.[QUOTE=McMuffin;83393]
    Your opinion is noted and so is mine...but you did have the attitude in the beginning triggering my response. Your making my point in your own counter to me, So i thank you for helping me prove my point. And take it easy, relax, you'll live longer and have less stress.
    Last edited by Vulcarin; 09-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    On Q-lines

Units can operate without Q-lines, but being able to use them in certain situations can simplify things or clear up certain strategic info.
    This works on a variety of cases : Position, letting the unit and allies know your position / getting a nice line for a line battle / wheeling / showing general directions / forming up / … … line art ...

Q-lines are like an GPS or parking sensors in your car, I'm sure some don't need them or care for them … but it's mighty helpful sometimes. -< I'm sure it's a bad example, but hope you get what I'm trying to say.

An appeal

Gentlemen,

This forum is for discussing things and I'm fully supportive about all players speaking their mind (and that some have a "strong" opinion).
    And these days well … people may take offence and a lot of us take this game (too) serious.
    I only hope we can do this in a constructive way with mutual respect and if diplomacy fails … we can work it out on the battlefield (also means I don't get paid as a diplomat )

* This isn't telling someone what to do or pointing fingers on someone particular, just an appeal.

On topic

It's nice when you picked officer and spawn back in, you're still officer if you wait out the faction select (unless you decide to get autobalanced).
    But all players should be equal, if we buff or give certain classes special treatment .. people will tend to pick them right away .. kind of beating the original purpose of that class.
    Thank you Red, apparently instead of trying o see someones point some people just want to shoot things down so quickly, he actually helps argue my point in his replies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    While that may be true, it could just as easily be us guessing. Fact is, we know less than nothing about the so called Historical Battle Mode other than a brief mention on that ages old roadmap, and from the blurb about commanding battles as a General that is on the home page. But one thing that is becoming glaringly clear is exactly what you said, Skirmish mode is looking less and less Company/Regiment friendly. In the Company tool you can, in theory, recruit and field a hundred men in ONE comapny, that system is most certainly not going to work for game mode tailored for a hundred and fifty players per map.

Even here, in closed alpha, with a limited number of players, we are seeing the system break down. For example, if II Corps fields sixty men (which does happen sometimes) that leaves only fifteen slots for other CSA outfits, result.....disgruntled CSA players have to go Union. Saturday was a prime example, one CS Regiment went Union by choice, for a Saturday that's normal because the Union do not usually field seventy five players for the NA Saturday event. This Saturday, however, they had a lot more players on which led to a total reverse of what normally happens, and some Union players were having to go CS. Now Confederate players get auto balanced over to the US all the time, but it rarely happens to US players and on Saturday when it did happen well, they were not happy about it, so unhappy in fact that they were fixing bayonets and stabbing friendlies in the spawn. An awful lot of bad feeling among players is being generated by this system, to the point where some Companies are actually being blamed for being 'too big'.

We cannot see beyond Skirmish mode and that is because we have no idea that there actually is anything beyond Skirmish mode. I fully understand the need to keep quiet, as Devs, while a game is still being developed, I fully understand the damage that can be caused if something is mentioned as a possibility, if it then fails to materialize. Having said that, it would help us, as players, if someone could at least tell us that we are not wasting our time here because as Cheeto pointed out, it really does not look like the Company system & the Skirmish mode are going to make pleasant bedfellows.
    Yeah you are right some more details about the other possible battles modes would be welcomed indeed. As far as I have followed this project they are still on track with the field reports they have posted over the years. And So far we have not heard that anything has changed in these plans.

For example: https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate3 gives a description about the Historical Battle-mode as the devs called it.

and the Skirmish Mode that in this link https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate2 gives a description about two different types of gameplay types.

This is also a interesting peace of information about the bigger battle mode which will not work in the current version of the skirmish mode and thus this lets me believe is more for the Historical battle mode. https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate5

So maybe they can at least share if these reports are still valid or have they changed into a new vision. I think that would be interesting for us players to know. That would help this thread and discussion for the future of this game and how to balance the players.

Quote Originally Posted by brentcarter View Post
    Yeah you are right some more details about the other possible battles modes would be welcomed indeed. As far as I have followed this project they are still on track with the field reports they have posted over the years. And So far we have not heard that anything has changed in these plans.

For example: https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate3 gives a description about the Historical Battle-mode as the devs called it.

and the Skirmish Mode that in this link https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate2 gives a description about two different types of gameplay types.

This is also a interesting peace of information about the bigger battle mode which will not work in the current version of the skirmish mode and thus this lets me believe is more for the Historical battle mode. https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate5

So maybe they can at least share if these reports are still valid or have they changed into a new vision. I think that would be interesting for us players to know. That would help this thread and discussion for the future of this game and how to balance the players.
    Vision is unchanged - don't expect it to change a huge amount either, that is not really our style.

That being said, the historical battles mode is not a priority to us at the moment and thus will not see the light of day for a long time indeed.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Vision is unchanged - don't expect it to change a huge amount either, that is not really our style.

That being said, the historical battles mode is not a priority to us at the moment and thus will not see the light of day for a long time indeed.

- Trusty
    Than since we are stuck with the skirmish mode for a long time this discussion is more then relevant to have about the balance system.
    Thank you Trusty for your reply. I am glad that the initial ideas are still unchanged and still to come in the future.