Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: auto balance??? Really?

CSA Brigadier General

auto balance??? Really?

Not a fan of this. If I pick CSA... or U.S.A then that is the side I wish to remain on. War are not auto balanced.. keep that out of this game. Some days will be good for CSA some days for USA. Warfare is not fair..it isn't even and there is a loss of pride for people who actually pull off a win over a superior force. I would like to see the auto balance system removed. Players should be allowed to stay with the side they are on. It already forces a player to choose the other side if one is filled. Disappointed to see this.

USA General of the Army

I agree but ...
    There is hope since this is Alpha.
    Certain mechanics, rules, unit names, uniforms, (fill in the blank), etc might (or might not) be present in the games final form.
    Most exist to "persuade" players to test specific things.
    As an example just take a look at how many changes have been introduced simply to discourage Rambo's from foiling the tests.

It is important that we remember not only is this not the final product but also the more we show up to test ... the sooner we can move onto another more enjoyable portion of the game.
    YES I am looking directly at you Line Battles!
    I hate them but I also know that the longer it takes to get them the data on this portion the longer Arty and Cav will have to play as LEG Infantry.

Active Testing and Patience are what we encourage in II Corps ...
    Lots of the first and a tremendous amount of the second.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major General

I get some people want to play :

• a certain faction
    • play with a certain group (like a regiment)

Only thing is its no fun to go up against an enemy that has an advantage in numbers and experience.

What happens lately is one or more 'larger' groups fill up a faction (lately that is CSA) and the other side is stuck with :
    • some smaller units
    • some 'new' or non regimental players
    • players from the bigger groups who could get on the 'their' side but still want to play.

Now I get that real life battles weren't always in balance or fair, but imagine you play a game :
    • You spawn in a Sherman, and the enemy always in a Tiger tank.
    • You spawn in a biplane, and the more experienced enemy has a spitfire.

Now I agree it might break cohesion ingame, I don't mind some 'sealclubbing' neither … but some 'even' factions is in everybody's best interest and this 'autobalance' feature might be far from ideal … it's an idea to resolve an issue.

Point is some game have some sort of balancing, making it so people feel they have a chance … some matchmakers are 'strict' (World of tanks), some less (Crossout).
    Last edited by Redleader; 08-11-2018 at 11:29 PM.

There's other ways to balance the game -- all of which I'm also opposed to. And the game rounds don't live or die on pure numbers of random human players. It doesn't account for AFK or all the dead weight. It's just something for people off their medication to bitch over when teams are off by a few. I prefer them unbalanced. I like a challenge. A realistic shooter game is a far ways from a sports arena with professional athletes where the effect is blatant when it's unfair. A certain portion of your team is dead weight anyway.

I hate auto-balance that forces team switch more than almost anything else and I loathe any game servers that keep it on. Nothing like getting invested with all your effort in the success of your team and then suddenly being told you have to pick up the ashes of your opponent carrying all the inside knowledge with you of your own team's workings. It never fails that some genius gaming servers always think they're savvy for having it at +/-2 or something. So I play to win and I'm fighting and killing and dying a lot more than some folks just who're just trying to get a positive kill ratio and thus I'm the one getting switched more than anyone else. It's truly an abomination for gaming and I never comply with it. I reconnect or I wait.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 08-13-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

I also hate the auto-balance as is. When I try to contribute to my side and suddenly *pow* I am enemy and now I have to do against my previous efforts... that just feels wrong and destroys the immersion.

Not talking about playing with friends on one side and being forced to split by this system.

If there is need for some balance feature, simple bonus/malus to respawn time / ticket reduction is far better.

CSA Captain

This a a faction based game with clans being called companies and higher. All this work for the skirmish servers when eventually the goal is to spawn in with your whole company in the big battle mode. I thought the company tool would make that happen eventually. In other posts I seem to read the CT will be hard to connect almost undoable? Shouldn't the goal and focus be to implement a way for companies to spawn in together. Because that seems to be the problem now companies brigades Corp being split apart . Skirmish server always had the purpose to jump in a game in a free setting. Seems a lot of difficult stuff for a game mode that supposed to be a jump in the action thing. Just some things I was thinking about.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    If there is need for some balance feature, simple bonus/malus to respawn time / ticket reduction is far better.
    That's the mean goal of a 'certain' balance, to prevent that one group of players have a major advantage over another.

@Poorlaggedman : I agree it would be ideal that you can select your preferred factions and regiments/group of players can play together, but when the 'overweight' gets to big it might feel like 'ganking'.
    @Bivoj : I'm a fan of some sort of balance and I agree the current installment is far from ideal, so any suggestions are great … I also thought about a closer spawn, less ticket loss (but we don't want to encourage loners) …

Again my opinion : 'a organized event' is different then a 'quick skirmish' … and now they are kind off pulled together.

I do not understand how you can make a games so heavily based around faction based companies and team play and then religiously trying to keep the teams as equal as possible to the point where teams should be torn apart mid game because of it. The argument that your not forced to switch teams does not hold water because your still forced to sit in some kind of waiting room until the developers think its fair enough for you to rejoin your ranks. This is turning me off from wanting to play the game because I do not feel like playing with a possible forced team switch in mind. I would absolutely hate for all the work I did to be thrown away for the purpose of "keeping it fair". It is also a total immersion kill. What if it is an officer who cannot rejoin his team because of it? This is also going to dis-proportionally affect Confederate Players due to them usually seeming to have a better turn out as units. Regardless why should one side be punished because the other had a low turnout or some people left? Because of this your likely to see decreased turn outs to events while this is a thing. A lot of people do not want to play with something like this in the game, You are also going to see people not playing as aggressively since no one wants to be forced onto the other team. I sincerely hope you rethink this.

The update says it's experimental. I think there's a little tendency to obsess over the balancing of results of rounds too much as a way of balancing gameplay and there's probably some frustration with teams being perpetually unbalanced.There was a lot of fine-tuning with the team morale ratios for the various scenarios to obtain balance. I don't see the need since it's going to be shaken up so radically with a functioning flag-bearer spawn system. I doubt the flow of maps will much resemble what they are now.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    The update says it's experimental. I think there's a little tendency to obsess over the balancing of results of rounds too much as a way of balancing gameplay and there's probably some frustration with teams being perpetually unbalanced.There was a lot of fine-tuning with the team morale ratios for the various scenarios to obtain balance. I don't see the need since it's going to be shaken up so radically with a functioning flag-bearer spawn system. I doubt the flow of maps will much resemble what they are now.
    It is indeed experimental - as in not actually working in the current build.

While feedback is always welcome (thanks all for sharing your thoughts!) I hope you'll also give some feedback when you have gameplay tested it in action and not just read about its intended functions.

It might work as intended in the next update - these systems are tough to properly test before going out to you guys as we're just two guys doing the build testing.

- Trusty