Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition counter

The percentage of times people run out of ammo vs the aesthetic cost of having one just doesn't make it worth it. You're out when your cartridge box is empty. Have you been firing your musket for almost 20 minutes of combat? You might be close to being out.

I'm familiar with the "magazine is light, magazine is heavy" gibberish that some games like to spam in text form, why? It really isn't needed. Anything but a stupid counter. How about just an animation change that pauses you briefly when reloading when you're down to five or ten rounds to do a double take at your cartridge box? That in itself might get you killed.

People go full OCD on this stuff because they're used to having it. I'm over here thinking "Man, I wish we could get that stupid compass off the screen and these line icons out of my face." This game would really, really, really suck if we started tacking all these post-it notes all over the place. Why have a feature for a concern that's a rare happening for players and is avoidable through a yet-to-exist ammunition replenishment?

It'd serve a way bigger purpose to just have some method of replenishing or sharing ammo in the first place.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 01-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

We can go all out and have an animation for tearing apart the package of 10 cartridges to fill a slot in the cartridge box tins with fumbling the 12 percussion caps to put into your pouch. Then if you are suppressed/shocked you drop them and lose them in the mud (because it always seems to rain now)!

If anything it should be a peak at the box to see your top row and that's it.

It would be neat if you went through an animation to check the cartridge box so you get a general idea of how many rounds are left.

CSA Captain

well for every weapon in the game you get 40 rounds total except the pistols of course. So a ammo counter you could just, i dont know, count?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'm familiar with the "magazine is light, magazine is heavy" gibberish that some games like to spam in text form, why? It really isn't needed.
    Sigh. Probably because the games that use that feature cater to players who min/max their ammo count.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Blimey, I didn't even realise there was limited ammunition! Shows how long I live...

"C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie"

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    "Man, I wish we could get that stupid compass off the screen and these line icons out of my face." This game would really, really, really suck if we started tacking all these post-it notes all over the place. Why have a feature for a concern that's a rare happening for players and is avoidable through a yet-to-exist ammunition replenishment?
    The best suggestions I have seen here are all based on pressing a button to get an ammo count/estimate. If you really don't want to see it, don't press that button. Quite simple and both sides of the debate can be happy.

CSA Captain

I dont see a problem with an ammo counter, we already see our type of ammo and it wouldn't be hard to add a counter right by it.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA General of the Army

If you don't want a precise count, you can always go with Full, Near Full, Half, Near Empty, Empty. It would be nice to be able to loot bodies for ammo at some point, or at least be able to give rounds to someone else. Maybe leave that for file closers.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    If you don't want a precise count, you can always go with Full, Near Full, Half, Near Empty, Empty. It would be nice to be able to loot bodies for ammo at some point, or at least be able to give rounds to someone else. Maybe leave that for file closers.
    Thats a really nice idea and I hope the devs look into it, if it would be possible to check bodies of friends and foes for ammo to loot. That`s what happened all the time on the battlefields I guess. So at some point this should be added to the game. And I feel the ammo counter should also make it into the game somehow. Maybe there might be a "warning" of some kind if the soldier only has 5 rounds left. At least I can better recall how many I`ve got left if I only need to count down from 5 rather than from 40; but may be an aging thing