Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new more complex community discord

CSA Major General

Gentlemen,

As usual, the community is divided and lots of people started their own initiative … some flourished, others are struggling.
    So far I found following initiatives, the order is not intended to show my personal preference …
    If I forgot one, let me know and I'll add it

My idea : if the people behind all these initiatives could come together and Unite, the workload will be distributed and it will be more transparent where players can commit

STEAM

STORE PAGE
    - The official steam store page where Trusty referred to.
    Official War of Rights group
    - Before the steam store page, the Devs set up this group.
    Community driven War of Rights group
    - Severus hopped back in, maybe we can go for an all in revival
    War of Rights High Activity group
    - Most know when it's event time, but if we got 35+ players .. we'll send out announcement letting all know -< it's time for War !.

DISCORD

"Unofficial" War of Rights discord (about 80 persons)
    War of rights community events (about 110 persons)
    War of rights (about 5 persons)
    War of rights community discord group (about 130 persons)

REDDIT

Yeah, even reddit

Since this is a thread about communication :

For diplomatic purposes we welcome representatives of other regiments/companies to our teamspeak.
    If interested, you can add me on 'Steam' so I can give the TS link and add tags/permissions.

Ps : I'm one of those oldtimers who used teamspeak before it had a number, it's easy to use (we can add tags, regiments, medals … we can use whisper) … the main advantage (and an disadvantage on clutter) on discord it's more like and advanced chat (with an archive).
    Last edited by Redleader; 09-01-2018 at 10:00 AM.

CSA Major

You would do best to keep Kiff/Jupiter/Severus at arm's length.
    Dude cycles through names, games and communities faster than shite off a shovel. It will only complicate matters in an unnecessary manner.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    You would do best to keep Kiff/Jupiter/Severus at arm's length.
    Dude cycles through names, games and communities faster than shite off a shovel. It will only complicate matters in an unnecessary manner.
    Like I said, I'm not "evaluating positive or negative" people who showed initiative, my only hope is these initiatives come together and are a "+" to the community.
    However, if there are issues with certain members/groups, then I'm all ears (that's why my steam profile was posted).

The main advantage of steam groups that you can multiple admins/mods, so that if one/more loose interest … the rest can carry on.
    Don't let work be lost, ask help and (keep the good parts) transfer it to someone else if needed

USA Private

The biggest disappointment I had in joining this community is that outside of the Company Tool all the regiments are hidden in their own cliques. I at least expected a semi active IRC chatroom of banter between CSA & USA. But there isn't even solo chatrooms for CSA/USA organization/recruitment/camaraderie. The only time I talk to the CSA outside of yelling at them on the battlefield is on this forum and it is just as much as I talk to USA off the battlefield.

We need a good reception area for newcomers. Being sent to the empty discord servers or the couple dozen of us here on the forums isn't very welcoming and makes the community seem empty & more out of line than it actually is. I think it was a Youtube comment that first told me the game is usually active around 8pm EST otherwise I might have just bought the game and never played because the first time I looked at the servers they were empty. A new player from two days ago was shocked when I told him games get to 100+ on the weekends. At face this community does a good job of advertising itself as small & inactive which couldn't be further from the truth.

Although I would prefer it, we don't necessarily need a chatroom where we can all go for fun when the servers are inactive. But we certainly do need a chatroom for newcomers to see we are all actively participating. Great effort General Grant. It won't be in vain.
    Sergeant in the 1st Cav.

aka HARRY GODWIN

CSA Captain

Fact - getting the majority of gamers to use forums is, at best, like pulling teeth. Fact - Steam groups are terrible. NOT including voice communication, Discord offers the best means of mass communication for a community in gaming, but what WoR needs is an official Discord. Sooner or later we are going to have to start operating as two functioning armies, and that's going to take a LOT of co-ordination, an official Discord will offer the easiest way to do that.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Major

War of Rights Community Steam Group(7,800 members) is up and running and scheduling events again, please get you and all your men to join the group https://steamcommunity.com/groups/WORCOMM
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    War of Rights Community Steam Group(7,800 members) is up and running and scheduling events again, please get you and all your men to join the group https://steamcommunity.com/groups/WORCOMM
    I think you mean 6,500 members. But regardless, the group is an excellent way to communicate community events or just general updates about the game. It has suffered from inconsistent usage though, and previously it's been a hit or miss if anything will be posted.

A tip of advice to those who run it, don't post announcements for the weekend events or the regularly occurring events, post only special or noteworthy events or big news since event spam will make people either leave the group or ignore it.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 09-01-2018 at 10:28 PM.

CSA Major

if you click the group, lot of members prefer to remain hidden as you won't see that number until you hit members tab on main group page, I would like just one event announcement to go out for each 'big' event, that's 100 plus players so like Sunday EU and NA and Monday NA events. if we were to schedule only community/dev hosted events that would be like once every two months, what's the point of having a steam group if you can't give people an opportunity to know about a large event each week, plus they can always disable group notifications and announcements in their steam friend activity settings.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    if you click the group, lot of members prefer to remain hidden as you won't see that number until you hit members tab on main group page, I would like just one event announcement to go out for each 'big' event, that's 100 plus players so like Sunday EU and NA and Monday NA events. if we were to schedule only community/dev hosted events that would be like once every two months, what's the point of having a steam group if you can't give people an opportunity to know about a large event each week, plus they can always disable group notifications and announcements in their steam friend activity settings.

I'm just saying, especially since I saw a lot of events being scheduled today, that you should be wary of how many announcements you post for events. And if someone disables steam notifications for the group, they might as well not be in the group, which could be prevented by just limiting announcements to avoid spam.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    The biggest disappointment I had in joining this community is that outside of the Company Tool all the regiments are hidden in their own cliques. I at least expected a semi active IRC chatroom of banter between CSA & USA …
    We need a good reception area for newcomers. Being sent to the empty discord servers or the couple dozen of us here on the forums isn't very welcoming and makes the community seem empty & more out of line than it actually is.
    AGREED : when I first joined (chose Union) I only found people on CSA drill camp -> since they where helpful and taught me some basics and weren't pushy … after some thoughts I joined CSA.

IDEA : it would be nice to have a sticky on the forum with a 'newcomers guide', some for discord/steam groups.
    BEFORE WE ACT : we should have a thread going on who will maintain that forum post/ask dev support and discuss what crucial information (Union & CSA) should be in it (which links ...)
    WHO ? : maybe someone who is "a neutral person" , maybe also someone who does some "layout & maybe some eyecandy".

Note : there are sometimes regimental meetings, can we also have some input from other regiments plz ?

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin
    A tip of advice to those who run it, don't post announcements for the weekend events or the regularly occurring events, post only special or noteworthy events or big news since event spam will make people either leave the group or ignore it.

AGREED :
    • most players know when the 'official' events are on (around 15.30EST (EU) & 20EST (NA) Saturday -> Monday evening)
    • for new players (and regimental command), the WOR high activity group was a good alternative, since we try to let people know (outside events) when we gave a good game (30ish people) going -> Contact Poorlaggedman if you're interested becoming an admin.
    • We want to prevent spamming messages all over, but its very handy to let people know when there is something special/big is going on … or a meeting .. new info …