Thread: 4th Maryland Artillery Officer's Kepi Insignia

4th Maryland Artillery Officer's Kepi Insignia

http://images.worthpoint.com/files/c...ages/d6073.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...land-artillery

Very interesting "patch" that would've been sown to an officer's Kepi or slouch hat.

Any chance we'd see this added into the game?

Hey there Johnny Reb,
    It would depend on when that patch was sewn on. Do either website offer any letters or annotated pictures that showcase when the officer had them on his hat? We would want to make sure it was during the same period as the Antietam campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey there Johnny Reb,
    It would depend on when that patch was sewn on. Do either website offer any letters or annotated pictures that showcase when the officer had them on his hat? We would want to make sure it was during the same period as the Antietam campaign.
    The Antietam Campaign?

Also, here is the history pertaining to the unit during the Maryland campaign courtesy of the 4th Maryland Light Artillery re-enacting unit's 'History' page

"In September 1862 the 4th Maryland participated in the Maryland Campaign and Siege of Harpers Ferry and one of the shells from the battery was responsible for the death of Colonel D.H. Miles, the Federal commander at Harpers Ferry. The battery remained in Harpers Ferry during the Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) due to the lack of horses."

As for photos, I'm really struggling to find photos of them at all.

Last edited by McMuffin; 09-02-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    The Antietam Campaign?

Also, here is the history pertaining to the unit during the Maryland campaign courtesy of the 4th Maryland Light Artillery re-enacting unit's 'History' page

"In September 1862 the 4th Maryland participated in the Maryland Campaign and Siege of Harpers Ferry and one of the shells from the battery was responsible for the death of Colonel D.H. Miles, the Federal commander at Harpers Ferry. The battery remained in Harpers Ferry during the Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) due to the lack of horses."

As for photos, I'm really struggling to find photos of them at all.

Hey there McMuffin,

In saying the Antietam campaign, that would include the siege of Harper's Ferry, rather than if I had said the battle of Antietam. Also I am moreso using the term to regard the period of September of 1862.
    Hope that helps!

Hey there McMuffin,

In saying the Antietam campaign, that would include the siege of Harper's Ferry, rather than if I had said the battle of Antietam. Also I am moreso using the term to regard the period of September of 1862.
    Hope that helps!

Ah, thanks for clarifying, makes sense though.

Hey there Johnny Reb,
    This patch is a version of the 2nd National Confederate Flag "Stainless Banner" which would have been sown on an officer's kepi after May 1st 1863. (Official adoption by the Confederate Government)

So this patch would not have existed during the Maryland Campaign but that doesn't mean we might not see it in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    This patch is a version of the 2nd National Confederate Flag "Stainless Banner" which would have been sown on an officer's kepi after May 1st 1863. (Official adoption by the Confederate Government)

So this patch would not have existed during the Maryland Campaign but that doesn't mean we might not see it in the future!

Are you sure about that? If so, please link a source, because I have never once heard of or seen a kepi cap or any cap from the Confederates, even the regiments that got their own actual uniforms and were well supplied, that had a patch like that.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 09-03-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Well, we know for sure that the description is not true,

That statement is, of course, false. We know it is not typical.

(I'm guessing this is a one-off craft made by a bored soldier, prisoner, or post-war veteran.)
    That sounds about right.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post

I'd actually dispute that. The corner flag on the patch only has twelve stars you notice? That was typical of battle flags that were issued as early as November 1861, both the 'stainless' & 'bloodstained' had thirteen stars. It's well documented that civil war troops did sew home made insignia onto their uniforms (the popular corps badges in the Army of the Potomac for example) As to it being 'uniform' or 'issue'? extremely doubtful.
    Last edited by Sox; 09-10-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.