Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st U.S. Sharpshooters "Berdan's" - Co. H

USA Major

Six members of the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters (not including myself - someone had to officiate) competed in the First Annual Holiday Shootout marskmanship competition... the winner was Cpl. Karlsen!

Finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively were 1st Lt. Clark and Cpl. Reed. Congratulations to all who participated and if I can determine one thing by these competitions it's that we're all damn good shots.

Thanks to 1st Lt. Clark for designing the trophy and ribbons and to he and Cpl. Williams for putting together the shootout.

Last edited by Shiloh; 12-17-2018 at 10:29 PM.

USA Captain

Huzzah!
    I wish I could say, "wait until I get my turn", but I am not really that confident!
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Cairnsy44 View Post
    Huzzah!
    I wish I could say, "wait until I get my turn", but I am not really that confident!
    Don't worry... we'll train you up.

Cpl. Karlsen hit 10 successive shots inside the inner circle on the third farthest set of targets from a kneeling position. 1st Lt. Clark missed his first then hit 9 in a row. Cpl. Reed hit 9 out of 10 which was impressive as well. We have a lot of guys who are good shots but it's all been due to consistent training. I haven't been able to take part in a competition yet as I'm always officiating but maybe next time

Last edited by Shiloh; 12-18-2018 at 09:46 PM.

USA 1st Lieutenant

How long did it take them, though? Don't get me wrong, 10 out of 10 is good, but it's easier with no time limit and skirmishing or in formation.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    How long did it take them, though? Don't get me wrong, 10 out of 10 is good, but it's easier with no time limit and skirmishing or in formation.

Best,
    Dman979
    We didn't put a time limit on it but typically we train to fire as soon as the sway is gone, or roughly 3 seconds. In essence that's as fast as anyone can fire with any accuracy. Waiting much beyond that will add its own sway as the weight of the musket starts to pull the hands down.

We fired in skirmish formation to level the playing field and ensure a fair competition. In-game we're often not in formation.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 12-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.

USA Major

What started out as something small - in fact a couple of guys at the very beginning dedicated to building a company - has hit a milestone.

USA General of the Army

Congratulations!

USA Captain

Some historical information from the excellent website www.vermontcivilwar.org

Company H, Second U. S. Sharpshooters.

Captains: Gilbert Hart, Albert Buxton, William Newell, William H. Churchill, Walter W. Smith.

This company, the third and last company raised in Vermont for this arm of the service, was recruited during the months of Nov. and Dec, 1861, rendezvoused at Brattleboro and was mustered into the U. S. service for three years, Dec. 31, 1861. The same day it left the state for Washington, and on its arrival there became Co. H, of the 2nd U. S. sharpshooters. An epidemic of measles made it necessary to leave behind a large number of men who rejoined the command at Washington the following February. On March 19, 1862, it took the field, the regiment having been assigned to Augur's brigade (ist), King's division (ist), ist corps, commanded by Gen. McDowell. Most of the summer was spent at Falmouth, Va., though the command shared in the various movements of McDowell's corps towards Rich- mond and afterwards towards Front Royal in the effort to cut off the retreat of Stonewall Jackson up the Shenandoah Valley. It also shared in the campaign of Pope, being engaged at Rappahannock Station, Sulphur springs, Groveton and the second Bull Run. In September, as part of Hooker's corps of the Army of the Potomac, it was active at Turner's gap and Antietam, losing a number of men, and Co. H was again active at Fredericksburg, but met with only slight loss. On June 16, 1862, it was armed with the Sharp breech-loading rifle instead of the unpopular Colt's rifle. At Chancellorsville, the company lost 3 wounded, and during the remainder of 1863, was engaged at Gettysburg, Wapping heights. Auburn, Kelly's ford. Brandy Station, Orange Grove, and Mine Run, besides numerous minor skirmishes. The winter of 1863-64 was spent at Brandy Sta- tion, where on Dec. 21, nearly all the members reenlisted and received the usual veteran furlough. In Feb., 1864, when the veterans returned, the ranks had been swelled by recruits and the company again numbered 100 men. On the opening of the bloody campaign of 1864, the 2nd sharpshooters were assigned to the ist brigade, 3d division, 2nd corps, under Gen. Hancock. Co. H lost at the Wilderness 8 killed, 16 wounded and 2 missing, among the mortally wounded being the gallant Capt. Buxton. It was active in the engagements at the Po river, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, Peters- burg, Deep Bottom, the capture of Fort Hell on the Jerusalem plank road, Boydton plank road, and the Weldon railroad. During the winter of 1864-65, the company's ranks were swelled by 17 recruits from Co. F, 1st U. S. sharpshooters, whose organization was discontinued. Their last skirmish as sharpshooters was at Hatcher's Run, Feb. 5-7, 1865, and on the 25th the sharpshooters were disbanded, Co. H retaining its letter, became a part of the 4th Vt. infantry and with this organization was engaged at Fort Fisher, in the final assault on Petersburg, and in the pursuit of Lee to Appomattox.

The total enrolment of the company was 191, of whom 18 were killed or mortally wounded, 19 died of disease, 3 in prison, 6 men deserted, 7 were captured and 44 were wounded.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

CSA Major

To one and all this fair Yuletide! Hail the blest morn!
    As our guns are put to rest and weary feet allowed but a moment's repose, may we reflect upon a fruitful and enterprising year.
    On behalf of the 8th Virginia Company 'H', I would beseech many warm blessings and a Merry Christmas upon both the Blue and Grey.

The best sharpshooters who fight at our side!