Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey out inactive regiments in Company Tool

CSA Captain

Adding on to this, I'd like to see inactive players deleted, as well. Whole lot of ghosts around here.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

We will have a look at your suggestions. I will discuss it with Fancy later on

CSA Major

I think it would be an ideal time to empty out those regiments too. Remove groups that have not seen their C/O log in for more than three months? Maybe Fancy could offer some statistical insight in to how the company tool is currently being used?

CSA Major

i am finally glad this is gaining some traction i always felt it really hurt the small and starting companies the most cause what i think happens alot is new people join the co they really want to and see that there is like 75 people on the company tool and yet they get in game and they cant find anyone in the company to play with, then when they are in game they see all these large companies and regiments and say what the hell i will just join them

as part of the largest csa group of people i see this every day 1st Ga or 6La prob get the lions share of new players cause they are most active and the little co that do play some cant get anyone to join i really hope Hinkle you guys make some changes to the company tool to reflect only co that have been active for lets say at least 2months hell if the company co doesnt login with in a month i say make that company inactive they can always change it latter
    please consider these changes that people have suggested i think it will really help new players

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    We will have a look at your suggestions. I will discuss it with Fancy later on
    Thank you Hinkel for not only listening, but for talking to the team about it. You know and I know it's time to fix this and the community appreciates the step forward with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I think it would be an ideal time to empty out those regiments too. Remove groups that have not seen their C/O log in for more than three months? Maybe Fancy could offer some statistical insight in to how the company tool is currently being used?
    I was thinking 2 months on the login with the understanding that once people log back in, they are instantly active. We have to be careful though to make sure company leaders aren't just logging in every 1.5 months just to stay active. We need KNOW that they're active in order for their company to not get greyed out and stay that way until they can show more activity. I know Fancy is the Company Tool expert and I'm happy to speak with him on my ideas to help see this through.

Quote Originally Posted by sal_tuskin View Post
    i am finally glad this is gaining some traction i always felt it really hurt the small and starting companies the most cause what i think happens alot is new people join the co they really want to and see that there is like 75 people on the company tool and yet they get in game and they cant find anyone in the company to play with, then when they are in game they see all these large companies and regiments and say what the hell i will just join them

as part of the largest csa group of people i see this every day 1st Ga or 6La prob get the lions share of new players cause they are most active and the little co that do play some cant get anyone to join i really hope Hinkle you guys make some changes to the company tool to reflect only co that have been active for lets say at least 2months hell if the company co doesnt login with in a month i say make that company inactive they can always change it latter
    please consider these changes that people have suggested i think it will really help new players
    Thanks for the support and ideas Sal. Any veteran of the game like yourself can see how this makes sense, and how it's hurting the community NOT to fix it. I'm glad we're making headway.

Just to provide a graphical representation of what Company Tool looks like right now to incoming players on the Union side, versus the actual active companies I have these graphics that were prepared by Major Tyler. The ones that are crossed out are obviously the inactive companies.

What players see now when they look at prospective companies to join.

What they're not seeing is that the ones that are inactive are not delineated at all.

Now if these companies DO get disbanded, then of course they wouldn't show up and that would significantly alter the list.

I do have suggestions if disbanding the inactive companies begins to take place.

1) Members are notified via email that the company they were part of has now been disbanded due to inactivity.
    2) They are notified that Company Tool will now function differently so that they can rejoin another company with renewed confidence and high-probability that it will be an active company.

This can potentially bring a lot of players back into the game who have since stopped playing for reasons of their company they committed to being inactive.

CSA Major

See I can already see this pissing off some commanders, you have 1st Massachusetts cavalry crossed off but they are active and I've talked to one of their officers, sure their number in CT doesn't represent their true active number but still 4-5 of them play once a month, maybe checking with them first instead of writing them off right away will be the best approach, again lot of time and coordination getting in contact with them as I have been doing. I don't think Thomas Bates would be happy seeing his New York Battery disbanded after he just took over for the previous commander, again they only have like 3 active guys maybe once a month in game but the fact is that their still there as for the others crossed off from what I can see is fine.
    Last edited by Warboy; 09-19-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Excellent illustration of the situation on both sides, Shiloh. Thanks.
    Thank you rbsmith and you brought up some interesting points to discuss as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    See I can already see this pissing off some commanders, you have 1st Massachusetts cavalry crossed off but they are active and I've talked to one of their officers, sure their number in CT doesn't represent their true active number but still 4-5 of them play once a month, maybe checking with them first instead of writing them off right away will be the best approach, again lot of time and coordination getting in contact with them as I have been doing. I don't think Thomas Bates would be happy seeing his New York Battery disbanded after he just took over for the previous commander, again they only have like 3 active guys maybe once a month in game but the fact is that their still there as for the others crossed off from what I can see is fine.
    Whether we crossed off or didn't cross off the correct companies here is not the point and my apologies if active companies in this example were crossed off. This was meant purely as an example and when you look at it graphically, it really hits home. The point is if they're logging into Company Tool and being active there, they will not or should not be disbanded. If people are logging in and not being active at all just to keep their company active then that is a problem.

To your point of "checking in" maybe an email can be sent out saying all inactive companies will be disbanded and defining what that looks like so that everyone is clear as to what "inactive" means.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 09-19-2018 at 02:32 PM.

CSA Major

i remember when i started playing last june 1st i looked at the company tool and see 100s of 100s of people signed up and then i join the game and i see like 7 people and lol those 7 people still playing, general p was just starting 6la so i joined that cause they had the most people on lol 5 out of the 7 ah the good times lol- when the csa could cross burnside bridge also now that was fun-
    but i understand shiloh when new players look at the company tool and see 1000s of people signed up and then get on during the week and see 20-30 people playing i am sure they say the same thing did where the hell are all the people and just join the biggest one they see

i swear prob 90% of all players on the company tool are fictional and need to be taken off for the good of the game and if a company gets inactivated and they do still play some then maybe they should play a little more thats why i still believe it should be tied to the company commander cause if he is not play hell how does the company grow and they can always be reactivated when they play again not the end of the world but they might lose their company but that should be an incentive to play and keep your company active

but counterpoint warboy does 3 people really make a company i dont think it does maybe all these little 2-3 man companies get together and form a bigger on and then they would have no prob with the inactivity but that is just my view i know not all play nice with others
    Last edited by sal_tuskin; 09-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.

CSA Major

My list depicts two different categories of regiments, 5 or more guys in game once a month qualifies as a active regiment, any less I have them under mustering/smaller consolidated regiment list again if I get anymore restrictive then that others will feel that's its not fair and favoring others. If they have one or none their not even on any of those two lists because that to me is a ghost company/regiment.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Just my spitballing ideas, with some pros and cons,

1. Only 'Captain' pledges or higher should be allowed to start up a company (for now) and companies owned by non-Captains should be re-set. This means the end of "franchises," which franchise owners with their multiple accounts will not be happy about, but it also means the end of paper companies being owned by ten burner e-mail accounts. Several legendary regiments (not just companies, but basically entire regiments) are taken by squatters. I was so disappointed when I first got War of Rights and realized that there is no 69th NY, there is no 15th South Carolina, there is no 11th Mississippi, etc.
    Isn't "owning" multiple companies under multiple accounts already against the established rules? I thought I remember seeing something to that effect.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!