Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Heights Cap

USA Major

Maryland Heights Cap

Just a bit ago the Union was playing the Maryland Heights map and we were literally sitting on the point with our entire team and the CSA was still capturing. So we pushed down the hill past the point to seek out the enemy and still they were capping. We finally were firing down into the CSA camp? and that's when the map was capped and we lost. I have no way to explain how that happened but it did and we were all very confused by it on the Union side.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Just a bit ago the Union was playing the Maryland Heights map and we were literally sitting on the point with our entire team and the CSA was still capturing. So we pushed down the hill past the point to seek out the enemy and still they were capping. We finally were firing down into the CSA camp? and that's when the map was capped and we lost. I have no way to explain how that happened but it did and we were all very confused by it on the Union side.
    Maryland Heights has a huge capture area - almost covering the entirety of the heights. You will have to move out and locate the enemy force ournumbering your own in the capture area.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Maryland Heights has a huge capture area - almost covering the entirety of the heights. You will have to move out and locate the enemy force ournumbering your own in the capture area.

- Trusty
    That map is fun...

We are looking into displaying the rough boundaries of the capture point on the overview maps/skirmish start maps to better convey the particulars of it to the players as the capture zones have a lot of different sizes (Maryland Heights is an oddball and experiment however as it is far bigger than any other capture areas).

In essence, we've concluded that players will tend to flock to the capture area icon pretty relentlessly no matter the other visual updates of the zone already being captured such as the capture circle which is logical enough. The experiment was basically to see if players would figure out that the capture area is indeed huge and therefore not only fight around the capture point icon - this would introduce a great deal of uncertainty to the map, not knowing where the enemy is which appealed to us on the specific map - it is largely the same conclusion with Miller's Cornfield - another skirmish area with a big capture area which we'd like to get more dynamic and less sitting beneath the capture point icon.

In the end, a typical team deathmatch with even morale for both teams might end up being the best solutions for these kind of maps not intended to have a specific attack/defence feeling to them but more of a free flowing one.

- Trusty

USA Major

We hardly fought the enemy until the very end and they capped without much of a fight at all. The cap point icon was directly above our heads and by the time we figured out that we had to move we had no time to win the map. I think this needs to be tested more for sure but 8 minutes or so was the length of the battle. I think we may have to adjust the speed in which a point is capped to give opposing forces time to find each other before the point is quickly capped by one side or the other if the zones remain this large. But oddly it turned into some minor scrapping without much of a fight at all before we lost it.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    We hardly fought the enemy until the very end and they capped without much of a fight at all. The cap point icon was directly above our heads and by the time we figured out that we had to move we had no time to win the map.
    Certain maps have sort of a 'good cap spot' (I can talk for CSA sidewise) which could be at a distance of the 'actual cap icon' :
    • Roulette lane : at the fence in front of the big barn
    • Maryland Heights : the little tent camp with cannons
    • Miller's corn field : certain points right of cap
    • Hookers push : near the big rocks
    • Harpers ferry map with the white two story house : directly front door across the road near white picket fence.

We sometimes get on a map to test out how far cap reaches and where we can cap up while not being exposed to much.
    Like for 'Pipers Farm' it's pretty hard for us to cap while not being in the open (like union has a good overview and good cover at that stone wall) -< so we adapted tactics.

But I get that one some maps, 'cap time' could make a difference.
    Last edited by Redleader; 09-16-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Major

have to learn the maps sometimes its where you have to be not just under the arrow and you need to play these maps to learn that, the union hardly wants to play harpers ferry might play it some more, not a criticism just from what i noticed play some more and you might find an area to cap from also

Quote Originally Posted by sal_tuskin View Post
    have to learn the maps sometimes its where you have to be not just under the arrow and you need to play these maps to learn that, the union hardly wants to play harpers ferry might play it some more, not a criticism just from what i noticed play some more and you might find an area to cap from also
    Most people don't like playing Harper's because it does not at all lend itself to any sort of line battle gameplay, which is fine, but not what most people want. Some people call it 'skilless' because all it takes is the CSA rushing the point, which is generally a lot easier to do on Harpers, to win.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Most people don't like playing Harper's because it does not at all lend itself to any sort of line battle gameplay, which is fine, but not what most people want. Some people call it 'skilless' because all it takes is the CSA rushing the point, which is generally a lot easier to do on Harpers, to win.
    Bah we have played as union on Harpers and won easily, im not buying that one.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcarin View Post
    Bah we have played as union on Harpers and won easily, im not buying that one.
    Think Harpers is a mix where maps tend to lean more towards one or the other faction. We mostly know which maps are "easy" or are a "menace"
    But I believe most are pretty balanced leaving both factions a chance of victory !

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Most people don't like playing Harper's because it does not at all lend itself to any sort of line battle gameplay … Some people call it 'skilless' because all it takes is the CSA rushing the point, which is generally a lot easier to do on Harpers, to win.

One of the 'possible' tactics is to keep bum-rushing the enemy as an attacking force, since as an attacker you have superior morale (tickets) to throw at the enemy.
    This works on Harpers Ferry when rushing Pontoon/Roalroad (CSA) & on Burnsides bridge (Union) … the attacks need to be swift and effective though.

Most maps on Harpers tend to be more skirmish like then actual open line battle engagements.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.