Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about disproportion

CSA Major General

@Lt. Col Labelle : intro is great, but it's all about the tone and what message you send … but it's good to have some sort of disclaimer lately it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Col LaBelle
    To catch you up on the events of last weekend, severe miscommunication and a lack of foresight led to several units of both Union and Confederates being unable to join the scheduled proceedings. Among those were many individuals who had chosen to arrive early to these events and an understanding that the event would be played on NA6, leading them to populate the server to near 100 players before being asked to join another server(NA1) by Paioletti and several other players. Once they arrived in that server, it had become clear to many individuals that the server population would consist of primarily II Corps members. Many Union companies found themselves split between CSA and USA, while many companies were entirely unable to join. I'll outline why this is a dangerous precedent to set ...

There are multiple issues here at play
    :
    A) Communication : think we all learned that information should be 'clear' and 'consistent' through out the community, als having a meeting some days/time on forehand would be advisable.
    B) Server CAP : atm the player cap is 150, for a long while we didn't have full servers but now it seems people are getting more active.
    C) Technical issues : some people have trouble to join an already 'full' server or crash and can't rejoin.
    D) Faction select : since there is no queue you have two options when there is an unbalance : wait or pick the other one.
    E) CSA & USA companies who play the other faction : this could be for multiple reasons (usually balance related, learning tactics …)
    F) …

There was a forum post by Capt. Bradley concerning the event (here) which clearly states NA1, but even myself got confused to see NA6 @ 100 + ,cause usually it's NA1 that is normally preferred.

My hopes : Would be great if we all timely and in a gentlemen way agreed on what to do (line battle, skirmish, certain rules …), which maps, getting the numbers (who can fit where) ...

For several weeks now, events have been dominated by II Corps. As a player, .. new players will flock to the largest clan available ... bigger = better in the eyes of the beholder. Why else would a clan be so large if it wasn't doing something right? New players, "pubbies," obviously see that too. As the leaders of such a large clan, it's equally as obvious that you want to see your clan grow not just in numbers, but in health as well.
    II corps have been a beating heart* for events for a while, this partially cause there was a hiatus on organized events and we tried to keep momentum.
    Our main goal was to spark the community and the most efficient way seemed 'dedicated' events for both EU & NA.
    We've always been trying to contribute to the game and activity.

*Don't get me wrong : a lot of other companies pitch in a great deal to and it's greatly appreciated.

II Corps is big. Very big. They can fill the CSA with half of their numbers, let alone the entirety of their force. It should be no problem to have, say, one of your units attend a Saturday event, and the other units attend a Sunday event. I understand that this can be seen as "limiting" your play time, but that can't be further from the truth. If any organisation can fill a server at any time of the day, any day of the week, it's II Corps. A Wednesday night server pop against pubbies could certainly work just as well as a Sunday event. Hell, if II Corps called for a Wednesday night event, multiple units and pubbies would show up. By splitting your numbers on the weekend events, it could even mean WoR sees more activity throughout the week.

Filling the server : Some CSA members weren't happy about Union not showing up so they had to play against each other (filling up both faction), when UNION & CSA show up in mass you got this major issue to.
    Splitting forces (current): this may not by clear but II corps is partially split between Saturday & Sunday/Monday events and between the EU & NA timezone.
    Splitting forces (future) : if beta hits and there are a lot of players, it will be "impossible" and "unfair" to take up one side … unless it's organized (or private/moderated server).
    Weekday events : there have been multiple initiatives by many involved, Capt.Winn (Shiloh) have been working on these events and it shifted from Saturday to Friday.

Better communication. By having a dedicated community ambassadorand bi-weekly meetings, miscommunications like last weekend would be severely minimised. I know there's "envoys" and "meeting spots" spread out through out the community, but the community seems pretty split between all of them. Perhaps we as a collective can work towards a more centralised system? I'm certainly open to ideas. Especially if those ideas are created by our CFG Community Manager...

-> Better communication is the keyword here, but as you noticed on the forum/ingame … lately the communication is somewhat … spicy ?
    -> Yes there are many intiatives and channels and that also leaves the community a bit dispersed … but it also show that there is a will to communicate and organize.
    -> Can you clarify the CFG a bit plz ?

I've talked to people from the 6th LA, the 1st GA, the 72nd PVI, among many others, and it's clear that everyone wants to make sure last weekend never happens again.

Conclusion : Look having 'bad sentiment' towards each other or a general feeling doesn't serve anyone and many I've spoken to are willing to work on these things.

A sidenote on "The toybox dilemma" : you indeed can never have enough Star Wars toys, I would ditch the 'autobots' and keep the 'decepticons' … for the 'not enough space dilemma' … waves hand 'there is enough space'.
    Last edited by Redleader; 09-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Major

[QUOTE=rbsmith7;83486]My understanding is that people began populating NA6 because a self-appointed spokesperson for the II Corps posted announcements on one or more of the redundant community groups that the event was being held at NA6.

I believe you were talking about me good sir, and I'm not a self-appointed spokesperson at all for anyone - I am the senior admin for the war of rights community steam group and at the time (30 mins before event) there was 30 people on NA 6 and only 3 on NA 1, so it made sense to me and 'others' to just continue populating the larger server so I put out a message on both the community events discord(tagged everyone) where 'all' you commanders are on and also the steam group saying that it's now NA 6, I realize it was scheduled on the forums here for NA 1 but before the event started more and more joined NA 6 before I made the two announcements so I just went with it not thinking switching over would make that a big deal (like can't anyone adapt to the situation) here in the community. I've taken so much heat and personal verbal attacks that I'm considering not helping the community in different avenues as I have been doing and just saying 'I don't care anymore', I don't deserve this nor anyone should over a little mistake. It's like someone told me recently that opened my eyes to the drama - " I wish I took my life as serious as you guys take this game"

P.S. I apologize for confusing the community and will not state the server name ever again to avoid these arguments and debates cause all they do is make this community look bad to the new players
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcarin View Post
    HMMM interesting. Asking 2nd corp to stand down is unfair and probably wont happen.
    As I stated, I'm not asking for you guys to stand down. I'm just asking you take your size into account when promoting an event that's supposed to be "open for all."

Quote Originally Posted by sal_tuskin
    all i see here is a group couldnt read or understand what the directions were, they were posted 2 weeks in advance that it would be na1 east 2 WEEKS in advance and still some people couldnt read that is not 2nd corps and any other peoples fault except those who could not read
    Quote Originally Posted by Valk
    Also I wish to point this out:

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...ighlight=156th

The server was stated beforehand. (don't take it the wrong way) by joining NA6 while the event would be hosted on NA1 is well simply up the the groups self.

HOWEVER! I would see adapting should have been done, the information was out there.
    The blame can not placed upon the shoulders of those who did not organise the event. Yes, there was a forum post; but as you can see from this screenshot, we were all under the impression that plans had changed.

Thank you all for replying so far, it's clear this post hit off some discussion and that was my intention. To Valk; We already split our numbers to compensate for events. Company E is a European company, designed to alleviate how many people we send to any given event without clogging the tube. And again, I'm not insinuating that anyone is out to ruin the game; these are just issues that have risen from the situation.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    As I stated, I'm not asking for you guys to stand down. I'm just asking you take your size into account when promoting an event that's supposed to be "open for all."

The blame can not placed upon the shoulders of those who did not organise the event. Yes, there was a forum post; but as you can see from this screenshot, we were all under the impression that plans had changed.

Thank you all for replying so far, it's clear this post hit off some discussion and that was my intention. To Valk; We already split our numbers to compensate for events. Company E is a European company, designed to alleviate how many people we send to any given event without clogging the tube. And again, I'm not insinuating that anyone is out to ruin the game; these are just issues that have risen from the situation.
    See I feel like I'm being victimized here, show them the full conversation please you were in agreement after all your boys and other regiments that were already on that it made sense to stay, your making out that it was my idea to start populating NA 6 when it already was populating in numbers before my announcements and messages to you so please don't make this out to be all about 'me'
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

CSA Major

I request this thread to be closed as it's now being directed at people personally and out to try to 'shame' them in the community

CSA Captain

Alright, but I'm not sure what the rest of the convo will change.

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post

The small problem here is too many people are organizing that dont have the authority. Dont take this wrong warboy, but those messages are what created this mess, as the server had been posted weeks earlier on forum from Bradley. I too am guilty of jumping chain of command, but it always causes problems and we need to work on these things.

CSA Major General

I'm to blame to, we all got a bit confused ... we are trying to work on solutions and hoping not feeling the need to crucify someone.
    Think we all make mistakes and we need to work on them.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA General of the Army

Good Points by all and may it continue to be civil and productive.

Quoting so many posts would move us from page 2 to page 6 so I will apologize in advance if anyone feels they were overlooked.

- Sadly, many of these issues are controlled Client Side and we have to adjust accordingly.
    We will never set server caps, map rotation, class limits, weapon types, etc as long as we are in an Alpha state.
    While these cause many problems for organizing events it is our responsibility to adapt and test what is provided.
    - Reading this thread made me chuckle a little as about a year ago all of these things were said about the then dominant unit ... 1st TX
    Almost every event was organized, run and overly populated with our Brothers from The Lone Star State.
    II Corps added 2 events to the 2 already scheduled weekend events but only after 1st TX declared they were leaving until BETA launch.
    Granted we see the die hards on a regular basis but II Corps (then the Southern Independent Brigade) took on the responsibility of organizing events.
    We added a Monday and Wednesday Event as we grew.
    - Initially we merely made sure the events were attended by many and were loosely organized. This changed when commanders, both Yank and Reb, screamed bloody murder about the chaos, rampant TKs and our innovative Tactics. The Setting of Rules became a must. Community meetings were held and very little came of it, unless you count people becoming even more entrenched in their opinions and bias ...of course.
    - I do not believe in No Win Situations or setting people up to fail so ...
    Getting everyone to agree or comply with those rules can not be the responsibility of II Corps if we are not given the power to Moderate servers.
    Nobody is ever forced to join any event or a particular server. We own nothing here and do not dictate rules or regulations to anyone, including our own soldiers, beyond our Basic Code of Conduct ...
    Pasted Directly from our Corps Charter ....
    --- Unit Autonomy
    Every unit answers directly to their Company Command Staff.
    It is up to each Accepted Company to decide which Brigade they will be in and may be changed at any time.
    --- Behavior
    Everyone has freedom of choice.
    However, if you choose to be a Company or member of II Corps you agree to be respectful toward others and act as a good example of II Corps. This includes, but is not limited to, WoR Forums, Steam Groups, Voice Servers and In-game.
    --- II Corps has a Foundation Code of Conduct, as noted in Article VI of the Corps Charter. Member Companies might also have additional Rues and Regulations but they do NOT permit the breaking of the II Corps Code of Conduct. Breaking Laws, Racism, Bullying or Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated in II Corps.
    --- Company Leadership is responsible for the Conduct of their Soldiers and Corps Leadership will get involved in Problems … as the Charter has always stated in Article VI.
    This will happen when the Problem is between Member Units OR when a Unit's behavior becomes so disruptive that their presence is a detriment to Corps Cohesion.

- Indeed, as Sgt-Maj Valk mentioned, we anticipate each Brigade fighting on a different server but we are in the same boat as most of you ...
    We base our future plans on a slippery slope as the Rules, Game Mechanics and Additions will change as we test different aspects of the game.
    I am not sure I can say this enough ... this is ALPHA and we are testing various mechanics and rule sets ... this is NOT the game we will be playing at Launch!

- II Corps Representatives
    Everyone is an Ambassador of II Corps at all times through both words and actions.
    This being said I appointed Maj-Gen Paioletti to head our Corps Communications Unit and he has full say on who our "Official" Envoys are.

It is my sincerest hope that this clarifies a few things and contributes to an open and civil discourse on some very touchy subjects.
    I am not expecting it but I am hopeful. This incident, currently playing out, is why it is doubtful any consensus or progress will be made ...
    I wasn't even informed of this "Community Meeting but luckily Valk attended. For a short while as you will see.
    - welp they want a meeting coming sunday
    and Vito proposed that per organization only 2 representatives
    and all of the sudden its a fact?
    while bradley stated that it would be unfair that say 1stGA represents the 6thLA and the other way around. I backed this up
    Then of course stone replied ... well your II-Corps so just 2 guys
    yes we are II-Corps but with company autonomy in high regards
    so if we would only send 2 reps. that means that a week later II-Corps has to have a meeting. probably a week or probably 2 to vote on the matter. so after a month the original meeting can come together is inefficient
    and then of course I had to explain why some people have what rank (general ranks and me Sgt-Maj)
    of course they dont understand
    then they cant stand it me making valid and good points so they say hey he is sgt-maj so not a officer what is he doing here?
    and stone of course stated yeah please kick him
    i said not a problem I can become a officer if you guys want.
    as they kicked me i promoted myself. and now im a week banned from that chat XD

- But II Corps is the Problem?
    Gentlemen, I propose that you clean up your own Blue Bullies before trying to tell us Rebs what to do.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

From what I've understood from all the different voices within II Corps is that you only speak for your unit and not for II Corps beacuse all the units are independant and free to speak for themselves.