Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Horses in War of Rights

CSA Captain

That would be beautiful!

USA Captain

Cav

a quick fix for that when game releases private servers for the events, just like any other line battle game the server has rules one of which could be cav cannot charge though i think they should make it possible.
    personally i think private servers will fix alot of things.
    Recon

Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    If we ever reach the point where horses are viable, I’d rather see them added only for the officers.
    That would be AMAZING...
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    - Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I think it'd be cool to see horses as actual creatures in-game. I think that they could make it so that horses can frighten (although it should be more difficult than in M&B and in real life), but only when the rider is dismounted. I like the idea of having one man being able to manage 10 or so riderless horses, so that the maximum number of men can be on the front line. Having simple AI with the horses so that they'll path-find like in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, would be a nice touch. On the one hand I think having one man staying behind the skirmish line with the horses is realistic, I don't think that it's necessarily practical for game-play. In events, I have no doubt someone would be fine managing the horses, but in random matches, I am doubtful.

As to the effectiveness of charging, I think that it would not be difficult to make cavalry charges punishing. One could make it so that if a horse is dismounted it has more health than when mounted, and you could make the effectiveness of hits on horses change based on distance to the firer. This way a ball hitting a horse within 10 metres of the firer would kill it instantly (with the exception of revolver and carbine rounds, for cav vs. cav gameplay), punishing the rider for getting too close, but making long-range play more viable, and having it so that cavalry couldn't be neutered early in the game by a bunch of well-placed rifle rounds at long range. Making bayonets easy at killing horses and their riders would also deter Napoleonic tactics.

Limbers would be something interesting to handle, and I'd love to see the ability for gunners to hop onto a limber and ride it like a wagon, as I've seen with Napoleonic horse artillery. I doubt foot artillery would do that, but having it as an option sounds like fun.