Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA)

CSA Sergeant

Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA)

Does anybody do HEMA here?

What is HEMA?

HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts. While mostly self-explanatory, HEMA encompasses the study and application of martial practices of or relating to European cultures.

These techniques include but are not limited to:

Unarmored combat with various weapons (longsword, rapier, sword & shield, dagger, polearms, etc.
    Armored combat with various weapons
    Mounted combat both unarmored and armored, primarily with the sword and lance.
    Unarmed combat which includes wrestling, grappling, punching and kicked; which are fully integrated into all of the above.

Videos

These are cinematic videos. HEMA is not LARP.

Last edited by DONT TREAD ON ME; 10-07-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    https://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8102&dateline=1538357  280

Moving town to town very often make it hard for me to continue practice actually. Cause it's sometimes hard to find a good swords-master and a good Fencing Circle. But I'v started from the age of 15 after competitive fencing. And in my opinion, it's one of the best sport to practice.

I'm more into more modern swords than the jousting long sword.
    Rapier and sabers got my heart, but yes, it's definitively a sport I recommend in combination of other bare hand European martial art.

Lot of HEMA stuff www.hema.nl
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jack "Smiling" Drake View Post
    Moving town to town very often make it hard for me to continue practice actually. Cause it's sometimes hard to find a good swords-master and a good Fencing Circle. But I'v started from the age of 15 after competitive fencing. And in my opinion, it's one of the best sport to practice.

I'm more into more modern swords than the jousting long sword.
    Rapier and sabers got my heart, but yes, it's definitively a sport I recommend in combination of other bare hand European martial art.
    Cool cool. I just started HEMA last week. HEMA has a pretty decent scene in Finland, because of Guy Windsor's SES and its various branches in many cities which cracks down on McDojos trying to cash in on HEMA.
    https://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8102&dateline=1538357  280

Last week? Nice, so welcome in this new world. Hope you like?

Guy Windsor's book is also a good way to learn and train, but I recommend you De Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi, from Maestro Philippo Vadi. His book he's also called "The Vadi", it's a reference one a mater of sword fighting.

Lot of HEMA stuff www.hema.nl
    Brentcarter, you make me laugh so hard that I'v spited my coffee all my desk. At first I'v really trusted it was a site about the martial art.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jack "Smiling" Drake View Post
    Last week? Nice, so welcome in this new world. Hope you like?

Guy Windsor's book is also a good way to learn and train, but I recommend you De Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi, from Maestro Philippo Vadi. His book he's also called "The Vadi", it's a reference one a mater of sword fighting.

Brentcarter, you make me laugh so hard that I'v spited my coffee all my desk. At first I'v really trusted it was a site about the martial art.
    Gotta check Vadi. I'm currently reading Guy Windsor's The Swordsman's Companion. HEMA seems like a really interesting sport to do. I am doing with a few real life friends of mine that study history in a university.

Nice, reenactment seems also a good option if you like to study living history. Plus there are many exchange programs across Europe in this way, depending on what period suit you.

So...it's fencing that occasionally has manly swords?

I've traveled to Sweden for Swordfish before. It was an amazingly good time.

I don't do HEMA anymore, but I fight Heavy Combat in the SCA. I like HEMA for the technical aspect, but the SCA is full contact on a larger scale and less of a risk to my health than ACL.

Did you participate to the "Battle of the Nations" in France? I'm not a great fan of the ACL, but it's a sport, like MMA but with armor and sword.