Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by amelius View Post
    I've been doing the same. I am concerned though, that my use of the in game VoIP system to transmit these bugle calls, while fun and immersive, may soon become an annoyance to the regiment/overall community if there is no real purpose. It is my goal to remedy this by giving these bugle calls purpose.

Proposal: I encourage individual communities to try and "standardize" bugle calls in game. It will not only add a sense of immersion, but also help orders to be heard by all officers (non-com or otherwise). I am aware of the fact that most groups use TS/Discord to communicate (much to my chagrin) , but this can facilitate as a redundancy to ensure that all orders are heard by all those that need to hear it. I have compiled a condensed list of 8 bugle calls that you could use. Each have been taken from recordings of US Infantry/Skirmishers bugle calls, and shortened to be less than 10 seconds in total length (Save, the "to the colors" call. Though I don't feel it to be a bother). I feel that this is a perfect length of time for the calls to not impede further orders in the field, yet also provide enough information for you to differentiate between them all.

BUGLES WERE IMPORTANT DURING THE CIVIL WAR. THEY CAN HELP US. BELOW ARE THE FEW YOU SHOULD LEARN, AND SOME TIPS TO REMEMBER THEM BY.

NOTE: It was common practice to write 'lyrics' to help differentiate and remember the Bugle Calls. I have written a few to help us remember them. Additionally, each title is a link to be able to listen to/download each audio file.

Forward March:
    "Let's hurry up! Let's hurry up! Let's hurry up, and go boys! Let's hurry up, let's hurry up, let's hurry up, and go!"

Halt:
    "Stop your feet! Stop your feet!"

CHARGE!
    *Couldn't think of one but this is very distinct. Hard to forget.

Cease Fire:
    "CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!"

Fix Bayonets:
    "Let's go boys, let's go boys, and grab your bayonets! Fix 'em now, fix 'em on your muskets now!"

Unfix Bayonets:
    "Take 'em off now! Take 'em off now!"

Retreat March:
    “Time to retreat, we wont be beat, but keep up the fire, no slack as we retire!”

I like the sound of those! Perhaps they could use it! Thanks for posting.

Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Bugle calls were not standardised in the United States until 1867, and so it is really quite accurate that the many regiments and companies here use just as many varities of calls. Standardising across the board would ultimately detract from immersion if you are looking for something historically correct.
    I would only ask that you please read the full post. I did state that it was my proposal was to "...encourage individual communities to try and 'standardize' bugle calls in game..." The rest of the post was merely what I personally have done for use within my community (not that it is even officially recognized within it, to be honest). I agree that it should be up to individual communities to effectively use the in game bugle calls. Just like how bugle calls were, as you stated, were used during the U.S. Civil War. This, my friend, is purely a call to action to communities within WoR to standardize THEIR bugle calls.
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    - Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Musician

My apologies amelius!
    No worries boss. All friends here... I really like how active the forums are. It gives me hope for the longevity of the communities here.

~Cheers
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."

USA Captain

But what about my To The Colors?

Great for those large marches to the point and after all when sounded at the head of the column is to note fighting ahead! I need to get unlazy and finish my infantry bugling guide.

USA Sergeant

Bugle calls were not standardised in the United States until 1867, and so it is really quite accurate that the many regiments and companies here use just as many varities of calls. Standardising across the board would ultimately detract from immersion if you are looking for something historically correct.
    ??
    Casey's "Infantry Tactics" include bugle calls at the end of Volume I.
    And his books was made the official one to be used by all US infantry regiments.
    So bugle calls actually where standardized by the order of the Secretary of war on august 11th, 1862.

Not that it should have been needed, because they are the exact same as the bugle calls found in the 1861 US infantry tactics. (save the fact that Casey added one "signal of Execution")
    That was also the official drill books to be used.

And its the same as what is found in Hardee's original 1855 book (not a surprise since USIT 1861 it is the same as Hardee's 1855, just with a new cover and the manual of arms for muskets added at the end)

And it is the same in Hardee's revised book that was published by Goetzel in 1861. (and used by the south)
    Again not a big surprise since he only changed some things in the manual of arms. And the music was obviously not the issue.

And most, but not all are the same as in Scotts 1835 manual.
    The list of orders that got a bugle call is somewhat different... but with the exception of "Tattoo" if the same order got a call in both, the actual music is the same.

And going forward it is also the same in the 1863 drill book for the USCT.

In short by 1861 the US army had used the same bugles calls for a long time...
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 11-27-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA 1st Lieutenant

Well, the calls were standardized for the Infantry, the Artillery, and the Cavalry, but each branch had its own version of some calls. So while any infantryman could understand a bugle call from another brigade, an artilleryman wouldn't be able to understand the cavalry calls- or worse, would interpret them as a different artillery call!

Best,
    Dman979

CSA Sergeant

Wasn't this a big issue in Holdfast? Guys just tooling around the battlefield playing the flute etc running between lines and just jackassery.

I haven't played Holdfast but heard these issues so just curious.

Just seems like an opportunity for a lone wolf to ruin things instead having a combat role.

Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Jason99vmi View Post
    Wasn't this a big issue in Holdfast? Guys just tooling around the battlefield playing the flute etc running between lines and just jackassery.

Just seems like an opportunity for a lone wolf to ruin things instead having a combat role.

I agree that it is an opportunity for asshats to ruin it for the rest of us. I hope that it doesn't come to that. To be fair though, that still could happen whether individual units create their own standardized bugle calls, or not. Unfortunately, we as Americans love being assholes haha. So in the end, trolls gonna troll. Though, just to continue the conversation, do you foresee any solution to the proposed concern?

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Jason99vmi View Post

I trust in there being some sensible restriction with the musician classes in a similar manner to both the officer and flag-bearer. One would think that folk would abuse the flag-bearer but I am yet to see it...