Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ability to pick up the flag.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by RhettVito View Post
    The job of the man carrying the flag is just to carry the flag he shouldn't have any weapon at all. I don't want this to turn into Holdfast Nations at War. Also no way to stab someone with the flag we don't need to reenact the patriot.
    +1

There were colour guards for a reason. If you've ever held one of the regimental flags you'd know it'd be tough to hold the flag and a sword, especially with a strong breeze.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    I'm response to Poorlaggedman, as my phone is being wonky today: Perhaps when carrying an enemy flag, it can either be dragged, or rolled up around the staff? I favor the second idea.
    A captured flag was indeed supposed to be furled so that the soldier taking it didn't get shot by his own men (most famously when Tom Custer captured his second Confederate flag)
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

In the interest of allowing the flag bearer to ‘play’ more, why not allow the bearer to plant the flag in the ground and that becomes the spawn point?

The flag bearer then becomes a regular infantryman and can join the line.

At any point someone else can grab the flag and move it or charge with it and they become the flag bearer until it is planted again.

(my thinking with this centres on the flag bearer role as it is now being a bit tedious).

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    In the interest of allowing the flag bearer to ‘play’ more, why not allow the bearer to plant the flag in the ground and that becomes the spawn point?

At any point someone else can grab the flag and move it or charge with it and they become the flag bearer until it is planted again.

(my thinking with this centres on the flag bearer role as it is now being a bit tedious).
    I'd be well against this, the flag should be the rally point, the symbol of defiance to the enemy and the reason men will stand in the face of a volley, it really needs to be carried and remain mobile.
    i've had quite a bit of fun playing as the flag bearer, standing and getting shot at whilst guys pop in all around you.

The flag bearer has the function to display the regimental colors, he is not a private, who fight within the line.

We would like to add more features for the flag bearer in the future, so his "job" is not just standing around and waiting for respawning soldiers. He might get some other usefull functions aswell (we have some fancy stuff in our mind)
    Same for the NCO class.

I guess I am trying to look at it more from the perspective of playability rather than historicity.

Perhaps as you say giving the flagbearer other useful functions would help.

Could he hand out some bottles of Oh-Be-Joyful for a stamina spurt?

I guess I am trying to look at it more from the perspective of playability rather than historicity.

Perhaps as you say giving the flagbearer other useful functions would help.

Could he hand out some bottles of Oh-Be-Joyful for a stamina spurt?
    I keep rather busy as a flag bearer when I play one; trying to stay in formation, not be open to fire, and be the line watchdog.
    Yours Truly,
    - Korvyr Vorthrel, Captain, CSA
    - Commander, Co. A, 14th Virginia

Speaking of game flags, most in-game seem huge (as in bedsheet size).

From my basic research it seems most of the flags carried by flag bearers were smaller in size.

The reason I raise this is the bedsheet size that seem to be the norm in this game stand out so much in forests, over cornfields etc. and can give away positions.

Does (or will) the game allow you to select flag size?

Probably a non-issue but I noticed it when watching YouTube.

CSA Major

There is plenty of accessible information out there about this.
    Many of the flags in the Museum of the Confederacy are around 4' x 4' which looks to be about what is in-game. Some are slightly smaller than this and others are larger, and depending on Union or Confederacy.

It would be nice to eventually furl and unfurl the colours.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    It would be nice to eventually furl and unfurl the colours.
    Seconded, you could even make it so that you can't spawn unless they're unfurled. i'd rather like that in fact, you could sneak about then when ready to go into battle break out the colours and lay on the volleys!