Thread: 71st Pennsylvania Research

USA Lieutenant General

71st Pennsylvania Research

Hey everyone, I have been doing research on Zouaves for a while now. I recently found another Zouave Company that was in the Philadelphia Brigade. That Zouave company is the 71st Pennsylvania Company R, Washington City Zouaves. I was wondering if someone Could point me in the right direction for the style of zouave uniform they wore. The only thing that I know as of right now is that they wore a Chasseur hat "similar to a kepi" that was trimmed in green. However I have found no mention of a Zouave uniform as of yet. Though going on a whim here since they have a trimmed hat they most likely had some sort of uniform to go with it. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe Mr. A. P. Hill can help out with this one.

- Thanks Kyle

You can also check the zouave master list for almost all known zouave units both union and CSA lot of research as been put into this

https://zouavedatabase.weebly.com/ci...ster-list.html

Maybe email the owner of the website seems he is open to help with any question, he can point you in the right direction?
    Last edited by SouthCarolina; 11-03-2018 at 02:31 PM.

USA Lieutenant General

I was looking at but even so I have emailed others and have not gotten many responses back yet so time will tell. I do know I really want to find out the uniform for this company. I already have a Chasseur cap for the 71st PA Co. R made

- Kyle

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle422 View Post
    I was looking at but even so I have emailed others and have not gotten many responses back yet so time will tell. I do know I really want to find out the uniform for this company. I already have a Chasseur cap for the 71st PA Co. R made

- Kyle
    I think you'll be very lucky to find anything Kyle, from what I've seen Company R were disbanded in late July 1862.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I think you'll be very lucky to find anything Kyle, from what I've seen Company R were disbanded in late July 1862.
    Im sure Ill be able to find something. I do know the uniform had Green trim, Im starting to wonder if its the similar to the 69th PA uniform.

Kyle

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I did a quick search and found a picture of a reenactment group that does part of the philly brigade … their uniforms were the typical blue sack and light blue trousers and standard accouterments.

Indicating they either didn't do a lot of research on their unit, or … as was the case with some of these zouave units, they didn't wear typical zouave attire.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I did a quick search and found a picture of a reenactment group that does part of the philly brigade … their uniforms were the typical blue sack and light blue trousers and standard accouterments.

Indicating they either didn't do a lot of research on their unit, or … as was the case with some of these zouave units, they didn't wear typical zouave attire.
    Some units didnt wear the French style zouave uniforms. They took the "French Style" Americanized it in the Case that comes to mind is the 72nd PA and 69th PA by adding buttons and their own trim. So I am thinking this is what Company R did. The French style American Zouave units mostly all wore a Fez. Co. R had a green trimmed chasseur hat so I am thinking they Americanized it in the way the 69th and 72nd PA did.

Kyle