Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LONE WOLF-RESPWAN Penalty

I don't get the kid gloves for people out of line. It happens, there's consequences-deal with it. Act like you don't want to freakin' die when you're alone and don't. Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes. I'm all about players pushing the limits but you should have to earn success and have risks involved. It's not the end of the world if you have to spawn in the rear. Congrats, you're now representing a straggler. Return cautiously. We don't need people 35 yards away doing their own thing spawning on the colors and going right back off on their own. Imagine that skirmish line, guys 35 yards apart, where is that in the manual?

Everyone wants to imagine consequences for their utterly shattered formations and think how awful it is, how about keeping a formation together in the first place? How about not going down to the last guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Korvyr View Post

My example field is 100% disconnected from the "formation" or "out of line" mechanic. It's a separate 35-50 yard (by radius) circle around each and every ally (or allied corpses that died less than a minute ago) that would negate the lone wolf penalty.

The only time you're going to run into this penalty is if you're 35+ yards from any allies (or again, recently dead allies), and the only time that would be the case is if you are very much a lone wolf way on the sidelines completely doing your own thing without even a single other ally nearby.
    35 yards is a long distance in this game. That's from one side of Burnside Bridge to the other. Though I'm all about a radius rather than a proximity mechanic completely replacing the linear requirement. The linear formation would be the natural balance. TBH even the line feature was totally altered to a radius, I'm not entirely sure how the lines are determined other than what I saw on the forums a year ago. It does seem that a line is the natural requirement to get people spawning on the field in the wrong place, a gaggle of people would result in some people spawning in front.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-23-2018 at 03:17 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    35 yards is a long distance in this game. That's from one side of Burnside Bridge to the other. Though I'm all about a radius rather than a proximity mechanic completely replacing the linear requirement. The linear formation would be the natural balance. TBH even the line feature was totally altered to a radius, I'm not entirely sure how the lines are determined other than what I saw on the forums a year ago. It does seem that a line is the natural requirement to get people spawning on the field in the wrong place, a gaggle of people would result in some people spawning in front.
    That distance could be longer or shorter. It's just to give some clearance for your unique cases that are still legitimately part of the group effort, such as city/street battles.

Just trying to catch those mad men who undoubtedly are way out there on their own, give them a bit of a scare notice when they die, and bring them back into the fight rather than wasting tickets.
    Yours Truly,
    - Korvyr Vorthrel, Captain, CSA
    - Commander, Co. A, 14th Virginia

USA Major

I scout a lot in this game. To punish me for being out of line when in fact I was being a team player. Will not be fair to players like me. As I have said before, we will always have those out of line guys, nothing we can do about it. Anything we do to try to punish those players will also punish the players scouting. We all paid for this game, people will play as they please. Having no buffs as an out of liner I think is enough punishment. This is just something each team will have to deal with. The devs cannot fix every single little problem, or dis like that everyone brings up. It is part of this game, and will always be.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Act like you don't want to freakin' die when you're alone and don't. Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.

(...)

Everyone wants to imagine consequences for their utterly shattered formations and think how awful it is, how about keeping a formation together in the first place? How about not going down to the last guy?
    Exactly! It is even more reasonable to implement the respawn time penalty, because of players in formation: are you the last one in formation during melee? Too bad, you should have retreated - hereby the penalty. Is your formation shrinking in the volley exchange? You should consider retreat&regroup or suffer consequences! Are you too ahead of your unit during charge? Your bad, you should stick to your unit next time.

In one hand, people here are crying, that "proper feel of death" cannot be implemented in game, ergo we are seeing unrealistic last-man-standing melees and firefights. On the other hand, people are crying "I do not want to be punished for being the last man in melee or firefight". In fact, the second cry is exactly what can help to bring the feel of dying alone and forcing players to avoid it.

The more I am thinking about individual penalty for out-of-formation death, the more I like the idea. I would even exchange the respawn time malus for ticket loss penalty. While selfish players won't be harmed in any way by losing tickets for their team, the longer respond time is something everyone feels and implicitly wants to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronewb View Post
    I scout a lot in this game. To punish me for being out of line when in fact I was being a team player. Will not be fair to players like me.
    No, it would be more than fair! You are already penalised by dying alone - you cause ticket loss for your team! The respawn time penalty would only make you feel the consequence.
    So, either do not die while scouting and be not punished or stick to the formation. If your "scouting" is too hazardous, feel the consequence...
    Last edited by Bivoj; 10-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.

CSA Major

pronewb then take 3 people with you so u have 4 so if one dies you still in skirmish formation, you should never be out alone in this game period scouting is very misunderstood you can scout from far back to see other people coming you dont need be out alone
    i am an original scout for 6th la over 15 months ago and trust me you very really need to be out alone all you will do is die and cost the team tickets we can scout from further back and not die and see everything a single person sees ahead so please stay with 3 other people to scout so stay in line

I scout a lot in this game. To punish me for being out of line when in fact I was being a team player. Will not be fair to players like me.
    You're not being a team player, because your tactic of choice is causing the team to lose 5 tickets every time you die playing the way you want to. If you want to say you don't die, then how would a re-spawn penalty hurt you? You're just as capable as the next to play the game as a team player, so how in any way does it single you out and take away your ability to play the game? How is you playing the way you want while crippling your team fair to them?

As I have said before, we will always have those out of line guys, nothing we can do about it.
    Sure we can. That's exactly what we're talking about.

Anything we do to try to punish those players will also punish the players scouting.
    That's the point. Mainly because it doesn't matter what you're doing, if you die out there ramboing or scouting, that's 5 tickets each and every time. If you take my idea, however, just keep a friendly fellow scout nearby and you'll still be good.

We all paid for this game, people will play as they please.
    Sure, but that doesn't mean not being cautious while you scout, and thus causing the team 5 tickets every time you get shot, is acceptable. That becomes extremely unfair to the rest of your teammates who are following the rules of formations and not putting their selves unduly in harms way. Why should their chances of winning the round suffer because people want to rambo and scout unsafely? How is that fair? And if you say you're staying safe, then again, how does a re-spawn penalty affect you?

Having no buffs as an out of liner I think is enough punishment. This is just something each team will have to deal with.
    Obviously it's not punishment enough if people still charge non-stop to their deaths, or run around doing their own thing, burning 5 tickets each time they die.

The devs cannot fix every single little problem, or dis like that everyone brings up. It is part of this game, and will always be.
    Who says? The game is in development. It's constantly being changed. That's the entire point of development. Changes, improvements, making the game into a beautiful creation. They very much can make a big dent in it by utilizing something like I suggested.

They can destroy the issue entirely by putting such a penalty on all out of line deaths, but that might be far too cruel and not take into account edge cases where (as you say) people are genuinely playing with their team, hence my suggestion and having it be a stacking penalty that doesn't even affect you the first two deaths as a lone wolf, and after those two first deaths, just sticks at a 30 second penalty for every additional death while notifying the server at large.

If you've died 3+ times in a round way out in the boonies, you absolutely deserve a penalty, because you've put a penalty on your teammates by not being cautious with your lone wolf missions.

Hell, you could even remove any thought of a penalty, and just have it so the server gets notified when people have died going lone wolf 3+ times in a round. Let us know who is causing us to lose tickets, and let us deal with it.

Just define lone wolf using the field I specified before, 30+ yards away from any allies or recently dead allies (within a minute of death).
    Last edited by Korvyr; 10-25-2018 at 03:11 AM.
    Yours Truly,

USA Major

In a perfect world yes having 3 players with me would be great, but that is not always the case.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Korvyr View Post
    You're not being a team player, because your tactic of choice is causing the team to lose 5 tickets every time you die playing the way you want to. If you want to say you don't die, then how would a re-spawn penalty hurt you? You're just as capable as the next to play the game as a team player, so how in any way does it single you out and take away your ability to play the game? How is you playing the way you want while crippling your team fair to them?
    I have played many battles, where I was deep behind enemy lines scouting. Ive sat in those hiding places all game, giving constant enemy movements. I died once in each of those battles with 2 minutes left in game. In those battles my intel game my team a victory. If that is not a team player then I don't know what to tell you.

Just a thought.... How about you can't chat to teammates or there is a delay in team chat based off a server-side variable (in seconds) if you are isolated? I've came across numerous 'scouts' (not to mention spectators doing it) who lurk in a bush and try to watch the team pass by. They have the advantage of instant commo presently by team chat. Of course certain voice programs that go against the spirit of the game circumnavigate this but a delay I think would be helpful. Of course a player should still be able to speak in all-chat (if there ever is an all chat).
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

I have played many battles, where I was deep behind enemy lines scouting. Ive sat in those hiding places all game, giving constant enemy movements. I died once in each of those battles with 2 minutes left in game. In those battles my intel game my team a victory. If that is not a team player then I don't know what to tell you.
    Then how would a re-spawn penalty hurt you? I asked that in what you quoted from my previous post. Especially one that stacks where, unless you're actually being incautious and wasting tickets, doesn't affect you?
    Yours Truly,