Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LONE WOLF-RESPWAN Penalty

This is actually a good idea if it can be implemented. if you are caught out charging, then you are doing it wrong. Yes, I noticed a lot of charges on youtube that is just a bunch of guys running piecemeal at a line. Charges are supposed to be a hammer, not raindrops.
    <--PikeStance -----
    New Orleans Native, Living in Shanghai!

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Just a thought.... How about you can't chat to teammates or there is a delay in team chat based off a server-side variable (in seconds) if you are isolated? I've came across numerous 'scouts' (not to mention spectators doing it) who lurk in a bush and try to watch the team pass by. They have the advantage of instant commo presently by team chat. Of course certain voice programs that go against the spirit of the game circumnavigate this but a delay I think would be helpful. Of course a player should still be able to speak in all-chat (if there ever is an all chat).
    That might be worth posting in a different idea thread, my friend.
    Yours Truly,
    - Korvyr Vorthrel, Captain, CSA
    - Commander, Co. A, 14th Virginia

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Pronewb View Post
    I have played many battles, where I was deep behind enemy lines scouting. Ive sat in those hiding places all game, giving constant enemy movements . I died once in each of those battles with 2 minutes left in game. In those battles my intel game my team a victory. If that is not a team player then I don't know what to tell you.
    So, was your Intel relayed by TEAMSPEAK or some other VOIP.....If so then that is not in the spirit of the game and all the more reason to have LONE WOLF/moral penalties for players off on their own for long periods.

The lone wolf penalty and or a MORAL penalty should be just that..to keep players from doing just what you just said you did.
    Last edited by AP514; 10-29-2018 at 01:11 AM.

It’s going to be paradoxical for a lot of non-re-enactors when the game goes public.

Fundamentally you’re asking them to act counter-intuitively and bunch-up and make an easier target of themselves when their natural instinct will be to spread out behind cover and shoot the other guys.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. It may end up as a community comprised of Historical servers (re-enactors) and game servers (fight as you want).
    Last edited by Quaker; 10-29-2018 at 05:41 AM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    It’s going to be paradoxical for a lot of non-re-enactors when the game goes public.

Fundamentally you’re asking them to act counter-intuitively and bunch-up and make an easier target of themselves when their natural instinct will be to spread out behind cover and shoot the other guys.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. It may end up as a community comprised of Historical servers (re-enactors) and game servers (fight as you want).
    People are smart and can learn. People buying this game want “play the period”, so they should expect some game rules forcing period tactics. Realistic shooters are like that.
    But they must have individual penalty (or reward) or they will ignore the formations - the ticket penalty is so abstract, that it is not sufficient to motivate regular public players.

Just wanted to say I’ve read this fantastic individual morale thread:

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...ghlight=Morale

and I know Trusty says in it that it’s not feasible in the near future but something like this would go a long way towards solving some gameplay issues including lonewolfing (ie. the further away from friendlies you are the more terrified you would be and your battle effectiveness should suffer accordingly).

So implementing something like this - give players about 2 minutes after spawning to 1) reload and 2) join their units and after that if they’re more than ‘x’ distance away from ‘y’ amount of friendlies then they start to suffer from bad morale which gradually impedes their aim, reload, movement etc.
    Last edited by Quaker; 10-29-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    People are smart and can learn. People buying this game want “play the period”, so they should expect some game rules forcing period tactics. Realistic shooters are like that.
    But they must have individual penalty (or reward) or they will ignore the formations - the ticket penalty is so abstract, that it is not sufficient to motivate regular public players.
    Yes, game rules not server rules. It's indeed a great paradox trying to make players play counter-intuitively. That's what concerns me more than anything because it's so standard in games like this and we already have the same culture imported from every other interchangeable player behavior-dependent game. And team morale definitely works only when each player is committed to the team experience which is as laughable a proposition as always in gaming. As I pointed out elsewhere I don't even think respawn penalties are enough. Then you're just asking players to weigh whether a quick death in formation is better than a more drawn-out death on your own terms. The pure functionality of operating effectively should be dependent on being in close proximity to players and not just up to minimal standards of receiving one of two formation statuses either.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-29-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Just curious, would the above “proximity morale” suggestion I made be viable?

Referring to: - give players about 2 minutes (or whatever time devs judge reasonable) after spawning to 1) reload and 2) join their units and after that if they’re ever more than ‘x’ distance away from ‘y’ amount of friendlies for a prolonged period then they start to suffer from bad morale which gradually impedes their aim, reload, movement etc.

In other words lone wolf and you eventually become dysfunctional and cannot fight.

(I see lone-wolfism as potentially the greatest scourge this game might face when it is released on Steam because it will lead to chaos and potentially turn many players away, including dedicated re-enactors who form the backbone of this community.)
    Last edited by Quaker; 10-31-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Referring to: - give players about 2 minutes (or whatever time devs judge reasonable) after spawning to 1) reload and 2) join their units and after that if they’re ever more than ‘x’ distance away from ‘y’ amount of friendlies for a prolonged period then they start to suffer from bad morale which gradually impedes their aim, reload, movement etc.

In other words lone wolf and you eventually become dysfunctional and cannot fight.

(I see lone-wolfism as potentially the greatest scourge this game might face when it is released on Steam because it will lead to chaos and potentially turn many players away, including dedicated re-enactors who form the backbone of this community.)
    I really like the direction you're taking, but sadly the vast majority of the issue is due to players spawning and then immediately charging to their death. Debuffs wouldn't hinder them in the slightest as their only inclination is to run in, fire once, then go for some stabs. On the best of runs they might kill 3 people in enemy lines, but they burned 5 tickets on their own out of line death.

The only people your idea is likely to hinder are scouts and individuals sent on legitimate skirmisher missions, the ones who make an effort to survive away from other people long enough for your debuffs to kick in. Those are the players we need to actually try to not penalize.

Sadly the only way to stop this particular madness is to either call them out on it or to actually stop them, say with a respawn penalty if they do it 3+ times. Using a large additional anti-penalty field as I described that is applied by every single nearby (<30 yards) ally or recently dead ally is the only feasible way I can think of, with a penalty that stacks within a certain period of time. First penalty, get a warning. Second, the server gets notified. Third and beyond, server gets notified, and you get a 30 second respawn debuff.

The penalties don't have to be harsh or overly game-changing. Just enough to shock the lone wolves back into playing properly, either as a more cautious scout/skirmisher, or as a part of an actual team.
    Last edited by Korvyr; 10-31-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added last line
    Yours Truly,
    - Korvyr Vorthrel, Captain, CSA
    - Commander, Co. A, 14th Virginia

/\ Scouts don't need to be able to fight though. There should always be pros/cons to the ways of going in.

No, nothing changes until you come under fire. Then you're highly vulnerable to suppression and it's much harder to recover. It's already this way BTW. I'd like several changes however to seal the deal better - slower recovery once suppressed - autosurrender - many more line statuses (around 10) from 'isolated' to the very difficult to achieve 'Kaiser's Daydream' (or something ) which all effect your ability to resist morale hits, recover from morale hits, and respawn in faster or slower. That's my thinking now. Check out the thread I started a while ago called 'the great trap' in Alpha suggestions and the three part video I made also linked there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkN...ature=youtu.be
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n