Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Class

CSA Captain

This is where I rarely disagree with Poorlaggedman. The officer class is important to provide proper feel or "immersion"; it would be just very strange to be commanded by someone with private avatar.

While every elitist here hates any system of ingame rewards (like stream achievements), in this case it should help a lot:
    unless a player has some ingame experience or unless achieving "something", he should be allowed to access an officer class with sword only. Sword-only officers would not be that attractive for new/casual players, who pursue the revolver and want to play CQB and majority of veterans would not exploit the class - they can have revolvers.

CSA Major

At what point would you determine that a player be considered a 'veteran' and therefore allowed access to a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    This is where I rarely disagree with Poorlaggedman. The officer class is important to provide proper feel or "immersion"; it would be just very strange to be commanded by someone with private avatar.

While every elitist here hates any system of ingame rewards (like stream achievements), in this case it should help a lot:
    unless a player has some ingame experience or unless achieving "something", he should be allowed to access an officer class with sword only. Sword-only officers would not be that attractive for new/casual players, who pursue the revolver and want to play CQB and majority of veterans would not exploit the class - they can have revolvers.
    Many 'veteran' players would and do exploit the officer class, you are just punishing the majority of responsible public players or 'non-veteran' players for the mistakes of the few. Furthermore, if people want the officer class for the immersion, I highly doubt that people would realistically be deterred from the officer class just because of a pistol being removed.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 10-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    At what point would you determine that a player be considered a 'veteran' and therefore allowed access to a revolver?
    There is plethora of options. The number of hours played, the number of victorious "matches" attended, killed XY enemies by gunfire, killed XY enemies by melee, etc. Any other stuff, that is usually connected with "steam achievements" (I know you dislike them, but this is a game you know ) . It could even be like: first set of achievements = NCO allowed; second set (more difficult) = officer allowed; third set (you need to invest some time into the game) = officer can revolver; fourth set = decent chance of NCO getting revolver.
    Maybe with captain or major and higher backers having a shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Many 'veteran' players would and do exploit the officer class, you are just punishing the majority of responsible public players or 'non-veteran' players for the mistakes of the few. Fuithermore, if people want the officer class for the immersion, I highly doubt that people would realistically be deterred from the officer class just because of a pistol being removed.
    Yes, some "veterans" do exploit the class, but significantly less of them. There is a correlation between time invested into the game and responsibility of the player. It is not 100%, but it is significant.
    And you should not see it as punishment, but as a "reward". It works in other games.
    Last edited by Bivoj; 10-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.

There is plethora of options. The number of hours played, the number of victorious "matches" attended, killed XY enemies by gunfire, killed XY enemies by melee, etc. Any other stuff, that is usually connected with "steam achievements" (I know you dislike them, but this is a game you know ) . It could even be like: first set of achievements = NCO allowed; second set (more difficult) = officer allowed; third set (you need to invest some time into the game) = officer can revolver; fourth set = decent chance of NCO getting revolver.
    Maybe with captain or major and higher backers having a shortcut.

Yes, some "veterans" do exploit the class, but significantly less of them. There is a correlation between time invested into the game and responsibility of the player. It is not 100%, but it is significant.
    And you should not see it as punishment, but as a "reward". It works in other games.
    Yes, some public players and non-veterans do exploit the class, but significantly less of them do so Most of them have almost never played the game but they find out quickly how it is supposed to work and will use the class correctly, and that is just for the small group who do not use it properly. Most of the public players I have seen use it perfectly fine, that is to say, just as well as unit leaders. It makes no sense to just lock off the pistol to try and senselessly deter a small group of people from playing a bad way, and even then, you think those people will actually be deterred from taking officer? Most of them cannot even rambo anymore because of the need for an officer to be in formation.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 10-21-2018 at 07:34 PM.

CSA Sergeant

I see a lot of complaining about line spam and CQB officers.

Honestly? The CQB capability of the officer is exclusively useful on a -few- parts of harper's ferry. 90 percent of all other maps make the rifle so easily able to ruin a line compared to the pistol.

For the line spam, I say give the line-drawing a cooldown-say, 30 seconds' cooldown. Gives more than enough time between commands to form once, command to move, and then command to re-form.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    It's not just about access to a revolver, but I know what you mean. Perhaps simply time in-game? Perhaps simply having played at least 2 or 3 times on all the maps on that server's rotation? Perhaps anything but allowing the first Tom, Dick, or Harry who picks it up? I'm on board with the individual who stated earlier that just about any additional restriction would help. It will assuage the newcomer who thinks just because they survived a charge they happened to lead on the last map, they're suddenly God's gift to the server.

I myself have never played the officer class. I've only been here a week. I'm not qualified.
    Last edited by Korvyr; 10-21-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Yours Truly,
    - Korvyr Vorthrel, Captain, CSA
    - Commander, Co. A, 14th Virginia

CSA Captain

Yes, some public players and non-veterans do exploit the class
    I'm curious, just how do they 'exploit' the class?
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I'm curious, just how do they 'exploit' the class?
    The few chances they have they can, a person can sometimes get around the system and rambo, but that's really only on Harpers where people are very close together. What did you mean by 'exploit'?

It feels very weird being commanded by a totally random person in an officer role as well. For public gameplay purposes it's about impossible to make the class truly useful without an election system of some kind. I don't like the idea of the Company Tool or steam or anything else interfering in a server. I know people really dig the tool but I have little-to-no interest in ever utilizing it myself further. I'll be damned if that thing is going to ever determine who can play officer role in my server. Just let the servers to set who can play an officer or not. Does this not make perfect sense? Limit the class just like normal but let the server further limit what steamID can actually select it or whether to truly leave it open. Just don't link it to the admin feature, God that would be awful. I fear every day what type of system of admining servers this game is going to have and that the developers have no idea the volume of trolling that is coming their way with further releases.

I don't think the revolver is as big a problem as it's made out to be. The problem is the incessant CQB and officers willing to die in stupid ways just to get a couple kills when they never did or were good at their job in the first place half the time.

Many 'veteran' players would and do exploit the officer class, you are just punishing the majority of responsible public players or 'non-veteran' players for the mistakes of the few. Furthermore, if people want the officer class for the immersion, I highly doubt that people would realistically be deterred from the officer class just because of a pistol being removed.
    Any responsible veteran would fully utilize the class as best he can when he can or else he hasn't learned right. I wouldn't call that exploiting like some people are. Honestly I'd love to see the class be able to reload some day (like actually reload, not with the revolver equivalent of a magazine). Engagements are too close too consistently and people have no qualms about going down just to kill a few enemy. I think there should be a probability of the pistol bullets (I own one, these pistolball are incredibly small) only stun the target like a bayonet stab would the first hit. I like seeing people dropped with one shot but it shouldn't be a sure thing. There should be some discrepancy from getting nailed with a .58 cal.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-22-2018 at 02:03 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n