Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Class

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    What's to stop him from simply self-appointing himself Col. JuicyFruit like so many others have already done? The Union, in particular, has a plethora of officers with a squad's worth of enlisted (or less). I like the idea of voting because whoever brings the most players under his flag should be officer.
    Nothing. But at that point it's an extra step of having to go into Steam and do that and how many pubs will go through that process of making up a fake title and company name? We all know who the active companies are and we can call them out for that in-game.

Voting could work too... I'm not opposed to that.

I don't necessarily agree with whoever brings the most people. For instance on the Union side last night Major Tyler only had 5 or so 9th New York guys which is much lower than the 9th normally has for that event. With that said I would vote for him even if my company had more guys as he needs that officer class and I would ask my guys to vote for him too because I fight with a musket and rifle I don't need that officer spot. Plus he'll often lead a larger group than just his guys including pubs who agree to follow.

Also please know I use Major Tyler as an example for the Union side. There are a handful of 'strong' leaders on the Union side I would do the same for.

CSA Captain

Unit voting & kicking system, let the Troops decide who leads them!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Nothing. But at that point it's an extra step of having to go into Steam and do that and how many pubs will go through that process of making up a fake title and company name? We all know who the active companies are and we can call them out for that in-game.

Voting could work too... I'm not opposed to that.

I don't necessarily agree with whoever brings the most people. For instance on the Union side last night Major Tyler only had 5 or so 9th New York guys which is much lower than the 9th normally has for that event. With that said I would vote for him even if my company had more guys as he needs that officer class and I would ask my guys to vote for him too because I fight with a musket and rifle I don't need that officer spot. Plus he'll often lead a larger group than just his guys including pubs who agree to follow.

Also please know I use Major Tyler as an example for the Union side. There are a handful of 'strong' leaders on the Union side I would do the same for.
    You're missing a 1 in there Winn. We had 15, and if you add in the pubs and other units that fell in my line grew to 30+. Which tbf 15 is a low number for us considering the previous weekend we had 22. Thank you though for your kind words.

Last edited by Tyler28256; 10-23-2018 at 07:35 PM.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    You're missing a 1 in there Winn. We had 15, and if you add in the pubs and other units that fell in my line grew to 30+. Which tbf 15 is a low number for us considering the previous weekend we had 22. Thank you though for your kind words.

My mistake. The 9th New York always brings good numbers to the Sunday and Monday events as long as I've been involved with them.

I do like the idea of a vote system to get officers in but voting people off could get tricky and blow up into something bad real quick.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 10-23-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Yeah I can totally see organizations showing up and voting out smaller organization's officers. You also have to consider that the officer class is fluid. One or two people don't necessarily stay connected and playing the whole round.

I know I just promoted election but I do feel like it'd be an underused mechanic. On a team would you really get a lot of people voting? And what if they leave?

I'd like a mix of seniority and selection. Let's not pretend like a sizeable part of the WoR experience will be 'public' servers. As I said before when I say 'public' I mean like we have now. Nobody (other than the devs) own it or exercise authority there. A private server does not mean password protected, it just means privately ran. Don't get used to the 'public' servers we have now.

The officer class is all about leading 'pubbers.' If you need it to lead your own guys you have bigger problems. I don't think it's necessary either way and an election system would be wonky and under-used.

If the mythical company tool is ever linked to the game then perhaps it could be used to establish a seniority system which is solely up/down votes from fellow players. TBH, it seems like something that could be somehow abused by phantom servers linking with the tool and rigging votes in order to have a higher seniority rating and be eligible to bump people for the officer role. It all seems like a lot of work for the devs compared to a simpler selection option where the server host has a file with the steamids of all the people eligible for picking the officer class. You don't really have a lot of business exercising deeper authority in someone's server anyway. Selection is perfectly viable for all but total absentee server-hosts. Nobody legit pays for a server and leaves it feral.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    The officer class is all about leading 'pubbers.' If you need it to lead your own guys you have bigger problems. I don't think it's necessary either way and an election system would be wonky and under-used.
    This "if you need it to lead your guys you have bigger problems" is annoying, and ive had many debates on this topic. The officer class is extremely important to lead even seasoned men. I cant count the amount of times people under my command people have asked where everyone is, boom put a line down, they come a flocking. It is 10x easier to throw a line down and say line up here, then to waste the time of describing where you are or people figuring out where you are by voice or name plates. Even a 90° wheel is 10x easier then actually wheeling without a line, ive tested it... It is so much more efficient than whatever example can be thrown here especially where seconds matter a lot in this game. There is no easier way to rally the men than the use of lines. I get the argument about being able to do it in case there is no officer class available and you should always have a backup plan but i dare you to try and prove it is just as easy without lines. next ill here it wasn't historically accurate...dam straight its not, but this is not real life it is a game with limitations compared to real life. Given the choice im taking the officer every chance i get.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    And, usually, is being argued by people that have never, and probably will never, lead a group of 20-40 people in War of Rights. The Q-line is extremely valuable and the distinctive avatar is also extremely valuable.
    Some people just can't let you have what they want. It can't be stated how much a single officer is easier to pick apart from the mass of spawning enlisted. Instead, we get these people with no experience in a company in this game telling OTHER people who do have that experience, what's best for them.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA Major

Nothing can really be done about people choosing the officer. This is something we will just have to deal with. suck it up butter cups!

You need a Q-line to reform your shattered team only after you 1) failed to lead it properly in the first place in the Flag Bearer era and 2) became separated from the bulk of your team. It's about manipulating players, that's all it's about. Other than that it's clutter on the screen. And I don't say it like manipulation is a bad thing. Yet it's a totally random player at the wheel of that manipulation which absolutely is detrimental in many cases. I'm sure the devs know this and don't plan on leaving the class selection up in the air. Any class selection restriction has to take into account planned events on private servers in which any player should be able to be assigned to the officer role. That's all that's really important because that's the only time the officer role means anything.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    You need a Q-line to reform your shattered team only after you 1) failed to lead it properly in the first place in the Flag Bearer era and 2) became separated from the bulk of your team.
    Wheeling a line featuring a substantial number of non-unit players, Q-Line
    Communicating with players who aren't in your discord when the in game voice chat fails, Q Line.
    Showing non-unit players where to place themselves if they lack voice chat capabilities, Q Line.

Those three examples, plus the obvious uses, makes the Q Line more than just some "bad commander tool." If your only problem with the Q Line is that you feel you can do a better job than everyone else and hate "hand holding" features, then I don't know what to tell you. Good luck, I guess.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!