Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Officer Class

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    So I would get removed and banned because I am able to lead my men only by voice commands and dont need to use this tool. I would say that the use of the "abilities" is not a good marker if someone is leading or not. the other extreme would be a troll who only draw thousand of lines randomly at the map. In this case he would be a "good" commander and I am the "bad" one.

I think that would work
    Hadn't quite thought of that

I guess the only system is just a vote to remove a Captain, however I also think this would mean no-one within a company would be able to captain, even if they were good, because companies would vote remove anyone who wasn't with them.
    Last edited by anderon46; 12-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.

USA Captain

[QUOTE][/Companies will follow their Captains regardless of who sniped the Officer class first. New players definitely do not need to make the mistake of thinking that just because they've managed to get the Officer role, anyone is obligated to follow their orders or even heed their suggestions. QUOTE]

Always funny to see pub officers show up and try to give orders. Companies follow their leaders or will fall in with another company. Nobody listens to people who just show up and try to give commands.

Might as well throw this in here. It's off topic of randos using the officer class but is still on the topic of playing as an officer.

Is there any chance that we'll be able to use rifles while playing as an officer? I'm not bad with a revolver or anything but I'd much rather have a rifle but still have the ability to point and use lines. I can't find anything online about it occurring historically, but in a book about a fictional war in that era, there was an officer who opted for a rifle instead of a revolver.

It's not a huge deal if it never becomes a thing, especially because I can't find anything that shows any officer historically opting for a rifle, and I can manage playing as an NCO but I'd like to see something like that being an option.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph High View Post
    Is there any chance that we'll be able to use rifles while playing as an officer? I'm not bad with a revolver or anything but I'd much rather have a rifle but still have the ability to point and use lines. I can't find anything online about it occurring historically, but in a book about a fictional war in that era, there was an officer who opted for a rifle instead of a revolver.
    You mean Starbuck? :P
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    … Is there any chance that we'll be able to use rifles while playing as an officer? I'm not bad with a revolver or anything but I'd much rather have a rifle but still have the ability to point and use lines. I can't find anything online about it occurring historically, but in a book about a fictional war in that era, there was an officer who opted for a rifle instead of a revolver.

It's not a huge deal if it never becomes a thing, especially because I can't find anything that shows any officer historically opting for a rifle, and I can manage playing as an NCO but I'd like to see something like that being an option.
    Your job as an officer is to direct your men who have the rifles.

If you want a rifle, be a private or a low level NCO.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Your job as an officer is to direct your men who have the rifles.

If you want a rifle, be a private or a low level NCO.
    My happy medium right now is SgtMaj.

There's a LOT of people trying to play officer who just walked into the game the first time and people are following them. gaga.gif
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

It's up to us veterans to lead the charge, boys. I had no trouble getting the newbs into line. Even beat II Corps with them on Cooke's Countercharge
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA 1st Lieutenant

New players will follow anyone who seems to know what they're doing. It doesn't matter if you have the officer class or not, a commanding presence will trump a line tool any day.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Major

Might as well throw this in here. It's off topic of randos using the officer class but is still on the topic of playing as an officer.

I fight as an NCO because I want to fight too. If that's not available I'll lead as a private. It makes no difference to my men what class I am. And in particular our unit are Sharpshooters so often we fight from distance and a pistol is useless at that range. I would strongly suggest that unless you're commanding a company yourself, that you leave the officer class for organized groups as leaders often depend on drawing lines to get their men organized and will actually use that class as intended and that is strictly to lead.

To answer your question I would say the devs are committed to historical accuracy so if something was not historically the norm such as weapon options, they won't put it in game.