Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framerate Issues

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    i7-6700, 16GB RAM, GTX970M, 4k screen, running it on an SSD.

I mean, I'm using Windows Defender until I can find a good antivirus. I hear that Avast is good, but IDK about how resource intensive it is.

Best,
    Dman979
    Yeah I mean... my rig is ancient and I get higher FPS than what you've mentioned Dman. Do you play any other games? Have you recently reseated your CPU and checked the cooler/paste? From what I recall, the CPU plays a larger and larger part in WoR as more folk join the server.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    ... I mean, I'm using Windows Defender until I can find a good antivirus. I hear that Avast is good, but IDK about how resource intensive it is.

Best,
    Dman979
    I run the Windows Defender, and the "Pro" version of MalwareBytes. That's all you need.
    All the other stuff is a waste of money.

(I also have CrapCleaner, run independent of the two mentioned above but it is more of a maintenance thing, keeping cookies and crap off my system. Beware, this pro, program is not for casual users, you can seriously do damage with the wrong settings.)

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Yeah I mean... my rig is ancient and I get higher FPS than what you've mentioned Dman. Do you play any other games? Have you recently reseated your CPU and checked the cooler/paste? From what I recall, the CPU plays a larger and larger part in WoR as more folk join the server.
    I do play other games, and I get about the same performance. It is a laptop, though, so that might be affecting things, maybe? I am not the most tech-savvy of people.

Best,
    Dman979

I do play other games, and I get about the same performance. It is a laptop, though, so that might be affecting things, maybe? I am not the most tech-savvy of people.

Best,
    Dman979
    Heat could be the issue as others have mentioned.

Another issue could be the mobile GPU trying to run the game on a 4k monitor. It very well may have maxed out its VRAM (which will result in very low FPS indeed).

- Trusty

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Heat could be the issue as others have mentioned.

Another issue could be the mobile GPU trying to run the game on a 4k monitor. It very well may have maxed out its VRAM (which will result in very low FPS indeed).

- Trusty
    I don't know how to measure the heat, short of sticking a thermometer on the CPU. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

It's got 3 gigs of VRAM. Is that enough?

Best,
    Dman979

I don't know how to measure the heat, short of sticking a thermometer on the CPU. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

It's got 3 gigs of VRAM. Is that enough?

Best,
    Dman979
    I doubt it is for 4k. My 970 (non mobile version) is not happy at all at 4k and that is quite a bit faster than the mobile version.

I'd turn my game resolution down to 1080p if I were you for starters.

- Trusty

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I doubt it is for 4k. My 970 (non mobile version) is not happy at all at 4k and that is quite a bit faster than the mobile version.

I'd turn my game resolution down to 1080p if I were you for starters.

- Trusty
    I'll try that tonight, and let you know how it works!

Best,
    Dman979

I think CPU-Z shows temperatures. I used Open Hardware Monitor.

Yep. Cleaning the heatsink and adding new thermal paste did the trick. Back at 100+ FPS on low.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    M.H.O. Thing with laptops, they're not user friendly to certain maintenance tasks, and generally, I shy away from laptops as a gaming machine. (hardware is usually wanting in order to keep the weight down.) In order to clean your heatsink you have to tear the whole thing apart, then remember how to put it back together again.

I've only ever attempted self maintenance on one laptop and it was a p.i.t.a. Desktops rule for this.