Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Steam Key Drought Of '18

CSA Captain

The Great Steam Key Drought Of '18

What's the latest word on extra steam keys? The game is P O P P I N G right now, and we gotta cash in on that extra publicity asap. I know the dev team is working hard on securing more and that it's up to Valve, but I just thought I'd stress it some more to you guys.

Ya know, keep ya ok yer toes and all.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

What's the reason valve hoards keys?

Thanks for stressing it to us.

I'm going to be honest with you and tell you that we might not put more up even if we did get additional keys.

The main reason for this is the importance of the first few days of the early access launch in regards to sale numbers.

The more sales on early access the higher on the "new and trending" and "top sellers" list the game will be placed it. This is a sort of snowball effect as more people will thus become aware of it which turns into even more sales and thus a bigger community. Backer reward keys will likely not be counted as a sale by Steam.

While more money is secured on a per sergeant backer basis compared to an early access sale, our primary goal is to have as big a community as we can possibly get.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    What's the reason valve hoards keys?
    Valve is a business.

Currently they earn 0% of WoR's crowdfunding income.

When on early access they earn 30% of it.

- Trusty

USA Major

I totally understand that rationale but that's a bummer for the players getting locked out. I have a new recruit who missed out on the last set of keys by mere minutes and he's pretty bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I totally understand that rationale but that's a bummer for the players getting locked out. I have a new recruit who missed out on the last set of keys by mere minutes and he's pretty bummed.
    Understandable. We have offered access for more than 2 years however - and the EA launch is not that far away if all goes to plan.

- Trusty

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Understandable. We have offered access for more than 2 years however - and the EA launch is not that far away if all goes to plan.

- Trusty
    I just re-read the Skirmishes II release and I see that the goal is to get this done (Steam early access) by the end of the year which is not too long to wait as long as that stays on/close to schedule. And of course I understand this is your opportunity to cash in with a great early access release and you guys certainly deserve a successful launch so all my best that that happens.

Hello I’m trying to pledge but is it too late? Or can I pledge in the future?
    I’m really hoping for the physical copy...

CSA Captain

You can no longer pledge, but Early Access on Steam shouldn't be far off. If we're still on schedule, no longer than three months!

I understand now Trusty, it makes sense. I can't wait!
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Valve is a business.

Currently they earn 0% of WoR's crowdfunding income.

When on early access they earn 30% of it.

- Trusty
    Wow, 30 per cent, "gulp"!