Thread: Does anyone shoot black powder?

CSA Captain

Does anyone shoot black powder?

Wondering if anyone currently shoots black powder and what you have.
    I'm in the UK and looking at sorting my section 1, i'm really rather taken with the perdersoli 1862 Sharps Carbine (confederate) and i'm rather fancying either a lorenz or enfield muzzle loader, maybe even the springfield, they're all great rifles.

some of the lads at my local range shoot percussion pistol and some have breach loaders/trap doors too, one has an utterly amazing 45-70 sharps 1874, it's a repro but lovely to shoot, hell he has a few late 19thC rifles too, they're beaten up but still going.

Melonfish

CSA Major

Perhaps ask Richard (rapier17) on our Discord dude. He has, or is in the process of, doing this. At the very least he is experienced with the whole affair.

USA Lieutenant General

I shoot black powder often own a 1861 springfield. Pedersoli Lorenz, Enfield and am in the process of buying a Pedersoli Sharps Rifle.

I don’t shoot nearly as much as I’d like to. There aren’t too many outdoor ranges here. I know some people who have land but it’s a bit of a drive. I have a Zouave rifle and have shot it a few times. I got conversion cylinders for the 1860 Army and the Remington so I can shoot .45 LC/Schofields our of them. Also have a mostly-unoperational 3rd Model Dragoon and a confederate navy... Leech & Rigdon I think.

Wish List: Enfield Rifle or 1842 Springfield, and an operational dragoon or two.

I do have all those listed that you are talking about. I am however on the other side of the pond, so I can't say what's legal for cartridge types.

Sharps:
    Shiloh is king, Pedersoli queen.

Muskets:
    Pedersoli and Parker-Hale are your best bets for readily avaliable brands.

Another set reputable brands is EuroArms and ArmiSport-Chiappa.

For revolvers there are plenty out there, if anyone is curious, just ask and I'll give you my opinion on the brand.
    Last edited by L. Hopper; 12-19-2018 at 10:35 PM.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West

For revolvers, Uberti and Pietta are the two big ones I know of. Both are decent.

For handguns:
    Pedersoli makes a very nice Deringer style line of screwbarrel pistols and target (precussion and flintlock).

Uberti is the better pick for fit and function. Matter of fact, in the 1970s, Colt asked Uberti to make exact copies of their Black powder revolvers and stamp them with correct markings and consecutive numbers after the originals.

Pietta makes the more odd and out there weapons with their own problems. For example: the LeMat, Starr, and etc.

There have been others but only produced off hand pistols.

Personally I carry a Colt 1855 Sidehammer revolver. Lightweight and fun to show folks.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West