Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What To Do As A Company/Battalion/etc. Leader To Deal With Trolls

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Sounds like an interesting idea to pursue, would dying and reconnecting influence this counter ?

Some insight on advanced troll tactics :
    • They just plainly execute players (smart trolls wait until enemy fire begins or a charge is in effect)
    • They will stab only once (non lethal, but very annoying and will limit combat efficiency), an officer/NCO & flagbearer would be priority targets.
    • They provoke teamkilling (by blocking, standing in the line of fire or by any verbal/chat means)
    • They wear an officers uniform and shout contradicting orders or cause confusing within the ranks.
    • They 'solo' charge enemy positions to drain morale (on maps with low population this has a big impact cause of the multiplier)
    • A few rare cases some even took on names of existing players (doesn't mean we didn't find out …)
    • ….

-< sometimes a teamkill happens when trying to help a comrade (being stuck …) -> Maybe the 'respawn or F9' method is preferred. (hopefully at least in skirmish mode)

The response :

• A company is usually able to handle the situation, by firstly addressing that person … and if diplomacy fails ->
    • Non regimentals/little groups have bigger issues, we are there also usually to keep an eye out an spot grievers
    • If shit really hits the fan, I try and contact Trusty/devteam and report what is going on. (these are rare occasions)
    I have also witnessed people at the beginning immediately respawn having never moved. Do these count as kills? I suspected they were doing so to increase the ticket totals.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Cairnsy44 View Post
    I have also witnessed people at the beginning immediately respawn having never moved. Do these count as kills? I suspected they were doing so to increase the ticket totals.
    -> Answer : Killing yourself drops morale … even worse when out of line or on a low populated server (morale multiplier)
    -> On rare occasions I've seen this tactic used to cycle maps* (the morale multiplier weighs more here and could get a side easily to breaking)
    *Dueling contests for some are a more popular way of passing time while the other faction is busy capping.

Depends on the situation why people respawn

• When stuck
    • Spawned glitched (no rifle …)
    • Changing factions

People standing still at spawn ? :

• Aren't helping their team.
    • Could be idle (toilet break, phone …)
    • Waiting for the map to end
    • Waiting to reform with comrades
    • Recruiting purposes
    • Joined another faction to balance the server (the preference would be that you fight instead of "camping" )
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    -> Answer : Killing yourself drops morale … even worse when out of line or on a low populated server (morale multiplier)
    -> On rare occasions I've seen this tactic used to cycle maps* (the morale multiplier weighs more here and could get a side easily to breaking)
    *Dueling contests for some are a more popular way of passing time while the other faction is busy capping.

Depends on the situation why people respawn

• When stuck
    • Spawned glitched (no rifle …)
    • Changing factions

People standing still at spawn ? :

• Aren't helping their team.
    • Could be idle (toilet break, phone …)
    • Waiting for the map to end
    • Waiting to reform with comrades
    • Recruiting purposes
    • Joined another faction to balance the server (the preference would be that you fight instead of "camping" )
    I think in this case, it was someone didn't like that they came in as a flag bearer, or the sergeant. I saw it happen twice in about 2 minutes. I was helping my kid with something and wasn't actively playing at that moment, but saw it happen.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

A team damage total system would be way superior to just a pure TK. Team wounders are way harder to deal with an police than TKers.

The flag bearer I think is every troll's wet dream and it concerns me quite a bit even once the role becomes fluid among players. One thing you can do is have the current flag bearer be public team knowledge. Show up in the score or such with a flag icon. That way if some jackass picks it up and makes a beeline for no man's land you don't have to jump to spectate, TK him, or just wonder who he was. I think of a better way to induce friendlies to TK than to run off with the flag and making other people TK you is a lot more effective trolling than just TKing.

People do try to drain team morale by suicide. Perhaps making the original deployment area somewhere you can respawn without penalty would help.

It also would help tremendously if team damage appears in the consoles of admins. Or on some screen somewhere. As far as I'm concerned there's zero reason to be wounding or killing other players in spawn. The real problem is when someone is wounding and others TK back, which happens quite frequently. If there is any reflexive damage system or forgive system or TK or team damage threshold I hope it's a server-side variable that can be altered entirely from it's default settings.

I also hate forgiving systems with a passon.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-13-2018 at 01:31 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

kick them out of the game if they're just there and ruin for others. I can jump in and give feedback and then I'm already in a regimen

USA Major

Go back to the manual system of reporting trolls and repeat TK'ers. When you get 10 reports on the same person then toss them. It could come with proof like screenshots or video. There's no place for that in-game and if a hard-edged approach is taken and word gets out, people will think twice.

Names have been revealed here and the same names keep coming up over and over.

I'm not sure what the reluctance is to take out the trash? Just toss them.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Go back to the manual system of reporting trolls and repeat TK'ers. When you get 10 reports on the same person then toss them. It could come with proof like screenshots or video. There's no place for that in-game and if a hard-edged approach is taken and word gets out, people will think twice.

Names have been revealed here and the same names keep coming up over and over.

I'm not sure what the reluctance is to take out the trash? Just toss them.
    Please read my previous replies as to why we don’t support player reports anymore.

- Trusty

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Please read my previous replies as to why we don’t support player reports anymore.

- Trusty
    I understand you said you don't have time and it felt to you like the community was turning on each other. Some of these cases of TK'ing are grey, and some are black and white. In the black and white cases let's ban these people and make a statement that this will not be tolerated.

I know I'm sick of these people and many others are too. Let's at least toss the people who are blatantly doing it over and over again. I sense a general reluctance for devs to toss people regardless of how much TK'ing they're doing. Maybe it's my Italian heritage but where I come from you 'send a strong message' and hopefully the rest will get it.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-14-2018 at 01:24 PM.

USA Major

Do a 7 day ban. Then if that player does it again ban them for 14 days, if that doesn't work then ban them for good. If certain cases are 100% certain. Or something along the lines of this