Thread: Idea for Organised OFF PEAK Play

Idea for Organised OFF PEAK Play

As it stands now and not surprisingly, WoR primarily revolves around NA and EU players and Companies in their time zones. When it goes live, the companies will have their servers and events geared to their prime time.

As a Southern Hemispherean (is there such a term ?), I am not sure we will ever have the numbers, Company structures, servers or strong enough WoR “culture” to facilitate the organised gameplay that happens in peak Northern Hemisphere time.

My idea to address this for off peakers is simple and would be community-driven with minimal CG support required.

Form two optional (no one has to join) generic ahistorical organisations called the Union Reserve and the Confederate Reserve for off-peak players. And a dedicated Southern Hemisphere server to host them. Anyone at all can join either Reserve - how they structure internally thereafter would be up to them. I repeat, it would be purely optional; no one would have to join.

Players would be coordinated through their Reserve Discords - affectively off-peak community hubs. This way we can build up a steady base of players and have coordinated structured fun and play the game as it is meant to be played.

It’s the bit of infrastructure needed to encourage and facilitate quality teamplay.

Of course they could still join regular Companies if they want to and play in Northern Hemisphere times, and likewise any of our American and European friends could join the Reserves if they wanted to play “after hours”.

It helps the game because without structured gameplay WoR might lose a lot of off-peak players and become a niche game in a limited timezone.

With a bit of support from CG something like this could make WoR a 24/7 game.
    Last edited by Quaker; 11-11-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Asian servers will soon be provided, as the developers have said. Your solution, while I understand your frustration, is too complicated and there are not nearly enough people to consider warranting it. Personally, I would recommend joining a European company as they will have the least difference in time.

The best thing that can be done for organization is for the gameplay to be so solid as to not necessitate servers hosting 'realisms' or 'line battles' in order to play the game to top experiences. That doesn't mean there wouldn't be any events, it just means they would not be essential as they are in nearly all other games in the realism genre. That's been the great mistake for the realism games I've followed. They cared too much about what reservations early iterations of community beacons had about certain radical concepts designed to promote teamwork. You don't get a good experience without being different. Every shooter I've ever gotten into to, I literally never installed the game thinking "Gee, I hope this is just like every other shooter where we all run around like sociopaths not using teamwork and reserving voice chat for small talk while complimenting each other's KDR." You'd be hard pressed to create a system that's more opposed to teamwork than that but there's always room for improvement and none of that involves doing business as usual. Peel away the many layers of BS that's been portioned out to gamers since the 90s and you can begin to build a game that works on its own.

I'm not too optimistic about sports-league level cooperation. The thing about having an internet organization is a lot of people think (and probably can) do it better and will constantly be peeling away. The magnetic personalities that draw people places will inevitably get sucked into the real world and be replaced by buffoons.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-12-2018 at 02:36 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    The best thing that can be done for organization is for the gameplay to be so solid as to not necessitate servers hosting 'realisms' or 'line battles' in order to play the game to top experiences. That doesn't mean there wouldn't be any events, it just means they would not be essential as they are in nearly all other games in the realism genre. That's been the great mistake for the realism games I've followed. They cared too much about what reservations early iterations of community beacons had about certain radical concepts designed to promote teamwork. You don't get a good experience without being different. Every shooter I've ever gotten into to, I literally never installed the game thinking "Gee, I hope this is just like every other shooter where we all run around like sociopaths not using teamwork and reserving voice chat for small talk while complimenting each other's KDR." You'd be hard pressed to create a system that's more opposed to teamwork than that but there's always room for improvement and none of that involves doing business as usual. Peel away the many layers of BS that's been portioned out to gamers since the 90s and you can begin to build a game that works on its own.

I'm not too optimistic about sports-league level cooperation. The thing about having an internet organization is a lot of people think (and probably can) do it better and will constantly be peeling away. The magnetic personalities that draw people places will inevitably get sucked into the real world and be replaced by buffoons.
    *Not to be argumentative, rather, just conversational*
    I totally understand you position. The game itself, like many other titles of late. But I would bring up the point that this is more of an issue with the player base than the game. From my perspective, I also belong to an ARMA 3 group that has been together for over 4 years. That game is old af, buggy af, and sometime just not fun. But because people got together and made a community of friends, it lasted. We only had]ve ~150 active members. I would agrue that communities can be built around this game if people are willing to create the infrastructure. I, for one, hope that this game takes off like squad has, or how in some respects the Arma community. I wish everyone here the best of luck building their communities. That will be what keeps this game going. It is what ultimately will extend the shelf-life of this game that I have come to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    As it stands now and not surprisingly, WoR primarily revolves around NA and EU players and Companies in their time zones. When it goes live, the companies will have their servers and events geared to their prime time.

As a Southern Hemispherean (is there such a term ?), I am not sure we will ever have the numbers, Company structures, servers or strong enough WoR “culture” to facilitate the organised gameplay that happens in peak Northern Hemisphere time.

My idea to address this for off peakers is simple and would be community-driven with minimal CG support required.

Form two optional (no one has to join) generic ahistorical organisations called the Union Reserve and the Confederate Reserve for off-peak players. And a dedicated Southern Hemisphere server to host them. Anyone at all can join either Reserve - how they structure internally thereafter would be up to them. I repeat, it would be purely optional; no one would have to join.

Players would be coordinated through their Reserve Discords - affectively off-peak community hubs. This way we can build up a steady base of players and have coordinated structured fun and play the game as it is meant to be played.

It’s the bit of infrastructure needed to encourage and facilitate quality teamplay.

Of course they could still join regular Companies if they want to and play in Northern Hemisphere times, and likewise any of our American and European friends could join the Reserves if they wanted to play “after hours”.

It helps the game because without structured gameplay WoR might lose a lot of off-peak players and become a niche game in a limited timezone.

With a bit of support from CG something like this could make WoR a 24/7 game.
    Ya know, I say try it. Talk with some of the NA/EU guys about how to do it. While it can't be promised that it will work, why not? As it sits, the company tool says that there are ~20k total "enlisted/volunteers". While I don't believe the game draws that many players currently, with some hard work and effort to set up the organizational structure, it 'could' work. I wish you the best of luck out in the field regardless bud.
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    - Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Musician

I got to thinking more about this, but if this is something that you are honestly serious about, then maybe you could reach out to an existing company/association and see if that is something that they would be interested in supporting. Just an idea. In the end, good luck. I'll shut up now haha.
    "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    - Major General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

CSA Captain

Go ahead and PM me with your ideas and let's see what we can cook up, and if it would be feasible.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!