Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Deathmatch

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Trusty, have you seen how II Corps operates? They'll do plenty of probing attacks, but as soon as Vulcarin or Paioletti knows where the bulk of their enemies are, they'll have the entire Corps converging on one location, lol.

That stuff EXCITES me to no end, and I don't think I'm the only one ready to see how a large map changes up the dynamics of this games strategy. Regardless of map design, or size, II Corps, 1st Texas, or any Yank unit aren't going to suddenly stop doing what we want to do: And what we wanna do is bring gigantic forces crashing into each other, and hear the volleys fire. You test a giant map, or a three point Burnsides Bridge for just a weekend, and if the response isn't overwhelmingly positive, I'll donate $200 to a charity of your choosing.
    I'm not against probing attacks or scouting - not at all. The game (especially at this time where we feature the quicker skirmishes gamemode) should however not be this for 80% of the time and actual fighting/moving while fighting, falling back, etc. 20% of the time. We are not looking to create another squad/PR experience in that regard.

I've heard mostly negative comments about the size of Hooker's Push - the biggest skirmish area we have.

As I said earlier, testing more cap areas is not a quick and easy thing to do - it isn't even quick and easy to do TDM on a few skirmish areas as it requires a lot of specific systems to be set up differently than they currently are which is, again, due to the nature of us having complete battlefields with no loading screens when you have joined.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

I meant releasing a map that's a few maps stitched together before Christmas, lol. Multiple points to contest.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I meant releasing a map that's a few maps stitched together before Christmas, lol. Multiple points to contest.
    Thanks for clarifying. That is not possible - probably wouldn't even be if we put all on hold (no early access) and had our programmers focus entirely on it either.

We're sceptical of introducing multiple points (historical battles is to be more of a "rush-like" mode where the front line can basically go back and forth - it was never the intention to have a lot of points to contest at any given time) as they will often end up splitting the server population in half, diminishing the civil war battle feel of the game by having less players fighting against each other (you'll have two pockets of 37.5 vs 37.5 players).

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    ... releasing a map that's a few maps stitched together ....
    There is no need to "stitch" anything together.

All the skirmishes exist on ONE single all encompassing map. The skirmishes are just areas of that one 16 square km map.

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport11

https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate2

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    There is no need to "stitch" anything together.

All the skirmishes exist on ONE single all encompassing map. The skirmishes are just areas of that one 16 square km map.

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport11

https://warofrights.com/KickstarterUpdate2
    By “stichting” together we mean putting the smaller play areas that are basically “maps” together to make a larger “map”. Putting the smaller play areas together to form a larger one that isn’t necessarily the entire Antietam battlefield. This has been explained multiple times whenever this has been brought up.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Proper terminology would be to redefine boundaries to encompass multiple points.

I dislike the term "stitch" (not that it matters, I'm sure, ) but it conveys an improper understanding of the existing game environment.

(As it stand now, several skirmish areas already overlap. )

Proper terminology would be to redefine boundaries to encompass multiple points.

I dislike the term "stitch" (not that it matters, I'm sure, ) but it conveys an improper understanding of the existing game environment.

Fair enough, but the terminology most people end up going to “is putting the maps together” because that’s how most people think of it.

CSA Captain

Couple of thoughts id like to add. You are right Trusty, people complain about the run times of hookers push, bigger maps may frustrate people until we can host more than 150 players on a server. A big map with 150 players= everyone massing on one point most likely, like current play of hookers push. Also if we go bigger maps we really should disable the spectator cam, everyone uses it as a tactical advantage to see where enemies are going...i believe that is what the binoculars are for. On a large map with someone using spectator cam they could easily adjust to a force moving and overwhelm them, with no hope of reinforcements for the smaller group due to larger distances to run to reinforce. Of Course if both sides are using spectator mode then it will just be a big chess match of shifting forces till one side makes a mistake.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcarin View Post
    Couple of thoughts id like to add. You are right Trusty, people complain about the run times of hookers push, bigger maps may frustrate people until we can host more than 150 players on a server. A big map with 150 players= everyone massing on one point most likely, like current play of hookers push. Also if we go bigger maps we really should disable the spectator cam, everyone uses it as a tactical advantage to see where enemies are going...i believe that is what the binoculars are for. On a large map with someone using spectator cam they could easily adjust to a force moving and overwhelm them, with no hope of reinforcements for the smaller group due to larger distances to run to reinforce. Of Course if both sides are using spectator mode then it will just be a big chess match of shifting forces till one side makes a mistake.
    Do people really still use spectator cam to see enemy movements? I never do and damned if I catch any of my guys doing it. I hope company officers are discouraging that and NOT encouraging it.

CSA Captain

(As it stand now, several skirmish areas already overlap. )
    Semantics just makes everyone look bad.

Shiloh: Unfortunately, people on both sides are. I make it a point to not use the cam, and when Calibrated.Core uses it for his videos, he makes it a point to have the 1st Texas discord muted while he does.
    Last edited by LaBelle; 11-20-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!