Thread: Grand Tactician - The Civil War 1861-1865

Cool Grand Tactician - The Civil War 1861-1865

Attention Commanders!

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this game. If not, keep reading below and I'll explain about it.

First off - it's a work in progress, and it states that it will be ready to release sometime in late 2019 - nothing has been mentioned about any beta testing but I have definitely reached out to the developers inquiring about it and they aren't not going to be offering beta testing (which leads me to believe when they are ready they will release it for beta testing).

You can visit their website at http://www.grandtactician.com

Summary of the Game

The best way for me to describe the game - it's a take on Empire Total War: ACW mod with the campaign features + Scourge of War + Ultimate General CW + it's own elements. The best thing about this entire game is YOU control everything. From the economy, to production, to the armies, to politics, etc. YOU are in control - and that includes the campaign as well. You don't have to do historical battles, you can make your own path.

What is really cool about this game is the command style and feel. First - they digitized a hand drawn battle map that shows the area and you can zoom in on the map and that is your battle field. It shows troop movement on the map (classic red and blue lines) and you can see it in real time as you make orders to move them. Oh - and with the orders they use couriers just like they did. You can create orders and distribute them to your commanders.

The graphics look alright - I believe they are going to be re-working them but for now, it looks pretty cool. I'm going to link gameplay video below. Check them out!

Battle of Perryville - Part I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZItdgeX5tU

Battle of Perryville - Part II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfem1_Ebbc&t=1340s

Battle of Bull Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeT-TYziqn8

I'm not sure about anyone else - but I'm excited and can't wait to get my hands on this game. What do you guys want to see on the game? - Also they have a steam community and a place on steam for the game when it launches. You can join in and speak directly to the devs about the game. I figured with all of the WoR community looking at this game and it's mass potential - they will finally get a game right where the user controls all aspects of the Civil War and actually make a game where the story is never the same (or it could be if you wanted a historical campaign).

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.

USA Captain

Oooh I’m VERY excited for this. I really wish they’d release more info on closed alpha or something like that.

USA Colonel

This is fantastic! I will definitely buy this when it comes out. It is very detailed yet simple.

I'm not really digging it based on the videos. I hope they continue to revise it.

Ultimate General is a good time killer but I have a lot of gripes about it. A lot of unfinished features that are borderline game-breaking not too. It's inexcusable to me that it doesn't offer multiplayer as the original did. Also the artillery regressed in the sequel as well, no longer factoring in terrain and elevation like the original did.

It doesn't look like this game is factoring in terrain or elevation for artillery as well, meaning artillery fires indirectly, through troops and over hills. Proper artillery representation relies heavily on terrain and elevation. The AI selecting that would be tough. It's all a lot to program and what tends to happen in those types of games is you start exploiting the same weaknesses and strengths again of the AI instead of pretending you're a real battlefield commander with logical decisions being made around you.

Mad Minute had some pretty great looking tactical strategy games, which I may get, but I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into more singleplayer games any time soon. The only one I bought was Bull Run but it was their first one and that was ages ago. I don't even know where I put that game.

AgeOD's Civil War 2 is probably the best as far as pure strategy goes. Unfortunately it doesn't work for Macintosh so the biggest Civil War nerds I know can't play vs me.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 02-17-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post

It doesn't look like this game is factoring in terrain or elevation for artillery as well, meaning artillery fires indirectly, through troops and over hills. Proper artillery representation relies heavily on terrain and elevation. The AI selecting that would be tough. It's all a lot to program and what tends to happen in those types of games is you start exploiting the same weaknesses and strengths again of the AI instead of pretending you're a real battlefield commander with logical decisions being made around you.

They just released an update today but I've been playing a close eye on this game for a few weeks now. They are factoring in elevation, weather, foliage, etc for troop movement, battles to include artillery and more.

Their latest blog post can be found here: http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/blog/

Also the developers answer your questions - I had contacted them via email and got a few replies.
    The thing I harped on was encampments and camp sites - they are going to be utilizing this feature, to what extent it seems we are not far off from each other when it comes to their team and the idea behind the feature and my idea.

A.P. Hill - I had looked for a post but I guess I didn't go too many pages over to find the old thread. But it seems the last update from anyone was back in July 2018 - figured I'd bring more light to it.

I honestly think if they are developing it how I believe they are, it's going to be better than Ultimate General and Mad Minute games. Primarily because if you look at some of the alpha gameplay footage you can see the feature of the cannons zeroing in, so it may take a few shells before they get the right elevation and adjust for movement as well. The cool part is that we as players influence their game. If you have a feature request or you want to share your thoughts on what would make the game awesome or all inclusive, message them, they have been very responsive to all of my communications.