Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Stand

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I think the idea with forcing the defenders to be on the actual point during last stand is a great one.

My suggestion would be to initiate a timer (which is based on the active skirmish area) when last stand starts - say a minute. Once that minute is up the defenders not inside the capture area will be considered deserters (the normal 20 second out of bounds timer will kick in).
    - Trusty
    @Trusty
    On some maps 'the cap point' is a death trap, this for multiple reasons -> it's in the open or is in a bad spot, the enemy knows exactly where you are (unless you have scouts you don't know where they are).
    I'm not a fan of further encouraging the so called 'ticket game' where on some maps it comes down to as attacking force have a superior position to dwindle down defending morale …. and by charging cap flushing them out into an unfavorable position.

PS : Last stand & final push is a great addition to the game

But the issue is here when the timer is almost depleted, the defenders on last stand can just hide and wait it out (so 1 person could win a game if there is no time to cap) -< when on last stand maybe lower the cap time ?

@O'rourke
    On last stand you technically can't spawn anymore, for those who spawned just before on spawn point Â…. that's unfortunate and again proves the value of a flag bearer. -< have to give it some thoughts.

@Warboy
    Agreed that some maps are prone to 'spawn camping' which is especially effective in draining morale (getting some out of line tickets) and sure while there are flags Â… traditional spawn is still used (flags can be out of line or it will take to much time).
    Might be a good exercise to review the boundaries for both factions at one time.
    Last edited by Redleader; 11-25-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA Major

I like the idea of making the defenders stay in the cap area or desert, It is a known issue where people fall back to spawn so as to not lose on tickets, when they know we can't cap fast enough. I fear it will be an even more easily exploited issue now that all defenders must be killed. With that said, would we be able to make sure spawn camping as the defender isn't a valid tactic on last stand? Make it so you need to defend or point, or you die would be an easy and very effective remedy.

As for the last push- I like the idea, but the timer needs to be increased to least 5 minutes as we often can't cap nearly fast enough to make 3 minutes worthwhile.

USA Colonel

I like the Last Stand, it adds a desperation to the combat that is similar to Civil War era warfare. I was with my Battalion in the event yesterday, and my entire company got wiped out except for me, so I had to link up with the New Jersey company and fight with them during the Last Stand. It really had this feeling of desperation and loneliness as you are the last ones left fighting until your last breath.

The fact that it is unforgiving means that companies are forced to cooperate and play smarter to insure they are not forced into Final Stand. Just like in real life, when the battle is lost, getting a second wind is about as rare as finding a unicorn in space.

Making people stay on the point and actually fight is a good one. A minute or minute and a half, maybe change it up each map, is good. I would also say make sure there is a UI announcement that people have X amount of time to haul ass back to the point. Although make sure to not make the area too constricting.

You don't need to force defenders to be on the point, just make the point cap several times faster or better yet freeze the timer when the attacker is capping it. What of a map with a huge cap area (as they should have) like Maryland Heights? Do you have to chase down every last enemy?

Physical possession of the cap zone should matter at the end of the round if the time limit comes into play. The full cap ends the map mid-round but possessing it should count as well. The point being officially possessed by a team should be very fast, 'securing' and ending the round should take longer.

It's kind of ridiculous to have either the defender or attacker 'win' when they've been utterly crushed, regardless of the literal possession of the point after 45 minutes. Grades of victory Major - Minor - Inconclusive would be nice instead of the "Won the whole battle/campaign" message at the end of each round. There's a lot of folks who take winning seriously, myself included, but there are others who become lawyers trying (and often succeeding) in seizing total victory out of the jaws of defeat using delaying methods. You can argue that delaying can be winning but when capturing an objective in 44 minutes and 55 seconds is a victory and capturing it at 45 minutes and ten seconds is a defeat it's kind of silly. I never liked static time limits outside of sports. I'd argue that the defender literally packing up and running away and hiding behind a farm house at 43 minutes is a victory in any sense.

I had trouble understanding last night why it took so long to cap the point. I always understood that you cap faster with more players on the point but less enemy. It seems that any enemy on the cap zone however close severely retards the capping progress to the point you have little-to-no chance. Two minutes is not enough time to capture an undefended point.

https://youtu.be/yulAMAMqdBE
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-25-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    freeze the timer
    Supposedly we have heard from Trusty that they want to implement an overtime feature. So if the point is being capped, the round won't end when the timer ends.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Supposedly we have heard from Trusty that they want to implement an overtime feature. So if the point is being capped, the round won't end when the timer ends.
    Yes, an overtime function will be making its way into the alpha in the future.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    You don't need to force defenders to be on the point, just make the point cap several times faster or better yet freeze the timer when the attacker is capping it. What of a map with a huge cap area (as they should have) like Maryland Heights? Do you have to chase down every last enemy?

Physical possession of the cap zone should matter at the end of the round if the time limit comes into play. The full cap ends the map mid-round but possessing it should count as well. The point being officially possessed by a team should be very fast, 'securing' and ending the round should take longer.

It's kind of ridiculous to have either the defender or attacker 'win' when they've been utterly crushed, regardless of the literal possession of the point after 45 minutes. Grades of victory Major - Minor - Inconclusive would be nice instead of the "Won the whole battle/campaign" message at the end of each round. There's a lot of folks who take winning seriously, myself included, but there are others who become lawyers trying (and often succeeding) in seizing total victory out of the jaws of defeat using delaying methods. You can argue that delaying can be winning but when capturing an objective in 44 minutes and 55 seconds is a victory and capturing it at 45 minutes and ten seconds is a defeat it's kind of silly. I never liked static time limits outside of sports. I'd argue that the defender literally packing up and running away and hiding behind a farm house at 43 minutes is a victory in any sense.

I had trouble understanding last night why it took so long to cap the point. I always understood that you cap faster with more players on the point but less enemy. It seems that any enemy on the cap zone however close severely retards the capping progress to the point you have little-to-no chance. Two minutes is not enough time to capture an undefended point.

https://youtu.be/yulAMAMqdBE

Nothing is more frustrating in-game than thoroughly beating down an opposing team to breaking, only to have the time run out and they just end up winning because of how the capture point system works. Adding a major/minor victory/defeat would be a welcome addition.

USA Captain

I like it but,i on a match we couldn't win cause the enemy was on last stand and one guy was AFK at spawn so we couldn't kill him nor win and i'm sure someone will use this to their advantage by sending a troop bak to spawn just so we cant touch them or win.
    Recon

CSA Major

some of this is called tactics why should i send troops to cap to die when i know the union cant cap the pt, just play defense and we win that is called tactics forcing players to have to die to win really doesnt make a lot of sense lives should be worth something and game is starting to make lives feel worthless, running across a bridge to die over and over seems silly to me
    and on maps like warboy has said the csa has to kill at least 3 if not 4 union per csa death to even have a chance of winning kind of makes those maps not fun either i do like the timers and last stand but no way should a team who got crushed win maybe like someone said more victory conditions