Thread: War of Rights: A Community Novel / Fan-Fiction

War of Rights: A Community Novel / Fan-Fiction

Hello all,
    Woody here. I've begun writing my War of Rights novel / fan-fiction. It is a story where you all (the community) are the stars of the story, and it shows your experiences in the Union / Confederate armies during the Civil War. I plan on releasing each chapter I write, and will post it on this thread in the forum. My first chapter, titled "A Minor Skirmish" is finished. Each chapter will be like a short story focusing on certain characters from the community. This first chapter is based on the Battle of Fairfax Court House, a small skirmish fought as the opening engagement of the Manassas Campaign on June 1, 1861. To fit with the actual battle, I've adjusted the units / companies to the actual historical regiments that participated in the battle. This chapter stars Captain Silver Staples and First Lieutenant Joshua Crum of the 1st Maine Cavalry (they are in the 2nd U.S. Cavalry in this chapter):

Chapter 1

A MINOR SKIRMISH

June 1, 1861

Fairfax Court House, Virginia

Captain Silver Staples had a look of determination on his face. He was going to capture Fairfax Court House from the enemy. The sun was beginning to crest the horizon, and he needed to act before the enemy realized they were there. Staples was in command of Company A, 2nd U.S. Cavalry Regiment, and had been on recon duty with his men in the area around Fairfax Court House. A horse galloped up to him in the morning darkness. As the figure drew near, Captain Staples could make out the details of First Lieutenant Joshua Crum, one of his forward scouts.

“Lieutenant, what did you find?” Captain Staples asked his scout. “It’s lightly defended, just like we thought, Sir. I’d say maybe a company of local militia.” Captain Staples rubbed his chin in contemplation, then said, “Alright, let’s make our move.” Staples turned his horse to face the dozen mounted soldiers behind him. “We make this a quick and clean assault, troopers” he stated as he readied his Colt revolver. “Advance down the Falls Church Road, move into town, and capture the enemy garrison. With luck, they’ll believe we’re a larger force than we are.”

Staples looked over at Lieutenant Crum and said, “Lieutenant, let’s get this done.” Crum nodded, and Staples spurred his horse forward in the morning darkness. The roaring thunder of several dozen horses galloping down the Falls Church Road alerted the men of the Warrenton Rifles, a local Virginia militia company in Fairfax Court House. They had been put on alert due to sightings of Union pickets near the town, and the half-tired militiamen awaited for signs of Union forces. “What is that?” asked Private George Rolfe, a member of the company, asked.

Captain John Quincy Marr was standing in front of his men, his revolver at the ready. “Move into that cloverfield to our right” he ordered the militiamen. The riflemen picked up their weapons and began moving through the pitch black darkness towards a patch of clovers. First Lieutenant John Dunn nervously gripped his Model 1842 smoothbore musket. Was a large enemy force really moving to take this relatively small town? Beads of sweat were dripping from his hair due to his nerves. Finally, the sounds of the galloping horses stopped. Captain Marr stood up from the clovers and shouted, “Halt! What cavalry is that?”

His question would prove to be fatal, as a bright flash of light accompanied by the cracking of a gunshot burst from a Colt revolver opposite the militiamen. Captain Marr fell dead, but his men couldn’t see his body in the darkness. “What’s going on?” Private Preston Boysen asked as the Union cavalry began charging their lines. “Who cares! They’re Yankees! Shoot ‘em!” yelled Sergeant Anthony Foster. The air filled with the crackling of gunshots and the smell of gunpowder as bright flashes of light spewed out of rifles and muskets.

Captain Staples, riding atop his horse, shouted commands to his men to fan out. “Fan out, troopers! Let’s show these militiamen what the cavalry’s made of!” Staples galloped down the streets of Fairfax Court House firing off bullets from his Colt revolver. He saw a militia soldier running down the road, and quickly shot him in the back. Several troopers galloped past him, their Sharps rifle repeaters blasting away in the morning darkness. While the chaotic scene unfolded, First Lieutenant Arthur Stewart of the Warrenton Rifles emerged from his home with a shotgun in hand.

“Reform lines! Reform lines!” he barked at the Warrenton Rifles militiamen. Despite the frenzied shooting erupting around him, the Lieutenant gathered his troops and formed a line of battle. “Take aim!” he shouted. “Fire!” The pitter-patter of several dozen rifles going off at once echoed through the town as the Warrenton Rifles blasted away with a volley of musketry. “Get them damn Yankees!” he bellowed. The men reloaded their rifles while the men of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry regrouped for another rush through the town.

First Lieutenant Crum galloped through the streets of Fairfax Court House with his Sharps repeater at the ready. “Come on! Come on!” he spurred his horse to move faster. Private Roisin McLaughlin galloped alongside him, shooting off bullets from his Sharps rifle. “Take aim!” Lieutenant Stewart shouted at his troops as they finished reloading once more. “Fire!” Another volley of musketry crackled through the air, and McLaughlin felt a bullet pierce through his chest. The Private fell from his horse and crawled on the ground.

“Help! Help!” he pleaded in the chaos of the shooting. Private Ryan Horniblow rushed to his aid atop his horse. “Can you walk?” he asked him. “N-no.” Horniblow mounted McLaughlin on his saddle and rode him back towards the Union lines. “Captain Staples, these militiamen are starting to put up a fight!” exclaimed First Sergeant Krieger as he rode up to the Captain. “Tell the men to make one last pass through the town, then regroup and withdraw to our camp.” “Yes, Sir!” Upon hearing word of the order, Lieutenant Crum galloped through the streets again near the court house. Aiming his repeater, he fired away at a cluster of retreating riflemen.

Lieutenant Stewart managed to aim his shotgun at Crum, and blasted away. The bullet ran through his horse, which collapsed on the road. “Argh!” Crum grunted as he fell down. He grabbed his carbine and continued shooting through the dark streets, attempting to drive away anyone courageous enough to shoot back. Reloading the Sharps rifle, Crum began to fall back towards his men. “Sir! Hop on!” one of the cavalrymen yelled at him. Crum leaped onto his horse and rode with him back towards the 2nd Cavalry’s lines.

As the smoke cleared in the town of Fairfax Court House, Lieutenant Stewart gathered his militiamen. “Did we win?” asked a young private. “I don’t think anyone won” he responded as he looked over the dead body of Captain Marr. The Battle of Fairfax Court House was over, as was the first skirmish of the Manassas Campaign.

If you guys were interested in seeing the "roadmap" for this community project I'm writing, here's my plan for the first book titled "A SINGLE VICTORY" and focused on the campaigns of 1861. Stories will fluctuate between Union and Confederate characters. If you see your company in any of these chapters, please let me know if you would like to be featured in it:

Chapter 1: A Minor Skirmish: June 1, 1861: Follows the story of Captain Silver Staples of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry during the opening skirmish of the Manassas Campaign, part of the Eastern Theater: the Battle of Fairfax Court House.

Chapter 2: A Pleasant Evening: June 1, 1861: Follows the story of a three-man picket patrol from the 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry in a minor skirmish fought on the evening of June 1: the Battle of Arlington Mills.

Chapter 3: The Philippi Races: June 3, 1861: Follows the story of the Battle of Philippi, the small opening engagement of the Western Virginia Campaign (Eastern Theater). Union stories: 7th Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Chapter 4: Big Bungle at Big Bethel: June 10, 1861: Follows the Battle of Big Bethel, a major engagement of the Chesapeake Blockade operations in the Eastern Theater. Union stories: 5th New York Volunteer Infantry. Confederate stories: 3rd Virginia Infantry.

Chapter 5: Fiasco in Vienna: June 17, 1861: Tells the story of a Confederate ambush on a Union train station at the Battle of Vienna, part of the Manassas Campaign. Union stories: 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Confederate stories: 1st South Carolina Infantry.

Chapter 6: Mishap in Missouri: June 17, 1861: Follows the stories of the First Battle of Boonville, the opening engagement of the First Missouri Campaign (technically it's designated as "Operations to Control Missouri" but that's too long for my taste), part of the Trans-Mississippi Theater. Union stories: 2nd U.S. Infantry. Confederate stories: Missouri State Guard.

Chapter 7: Hope at Hoke's Run: July 2, 1861: Follows several stories from the Battle of Hoke's Run, AKA Falling Waters, a small battle in the Manassas Campaign. Union stories: 2nd U.S. Cavalry, 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, 13th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Confederate stories: 4th Virginia Infantry, 5th Virginia Infantry, 1st Virginia Cavalry

Chapter 8: Carnage at Carthage: July 5, 1861: Follows stories from the Battle of Carthage, an important battle of the 1st Missouri Campaign. Union stories: 2nd U.S. Artillery. Confederate stories: Missouri State Guard

Chapter 9: Mountain of Mud: July 11, 1861: Follows stories from the Battle of Rich Mountain, an important battle of the Western Virginia Campaign. Union stories: 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 14th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Confederate: 1st Georgia Infantry, 9th Virginia Infantry Battalion, 23rd Virginia Infantry, 25th Virginia Infantry.

Chapter 10: Fording Blackburn's Ford: July 18, 1861: Follows stories from the Battle of Blackburn's Ford, a prelude skirmish in the Manassas Campaign shortly before the battle at Manassas three days later. Union stories: 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, 9th New York Volunteer Infantry. Confederate stories: 1st Virginia Infantry, 11th Virginia Infantry, 17th Virginia Infantry.

Chapter 11: A Single Victory: July 21, 1861: Follows stories from the opening hours of the First Battle of Bull Run, AKA First Manassas, the decisive battle of the Manassas Campaign. Covers the opening feint at Stone Bridge and the Morning Phase of the battle at Matthews Hill. Union stories: 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, 71st New York Volunteer Infantry. Confederate stories: 1st Louisiana Special Infantry Battalion (Louisiana Tigers), 2nd South Carolina Infantry, 4th South Carolina Infantry, 4th Alabama Infantry, 8th Georgia Infantry, Washington Artillery, Hampton's Legion

Chapter 12: Like a Stone Wall!: July 21, 1861: Follows stories from the noon phase of the First Battle of Bull Run, AKA First Manassas. Covers the fight at Henry House Hill. Union stories: 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, 1st U.S. Artillery, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, 11th New York Volunteer Infantry, 69th New York State Militia, 79th New York Volunteer Infantry, U.S. Marine Battalion, U.S. Regulars Battalion. Confederate Stories: 2nd Virginia Infantry, 4th Virginia Infantry, 5th Virginia Infantry, 27th Virginia Infantry, 33rd Virginia Infantry, 1st Virginia Cavalry, 11th Mississippi Infantry.

Chapter 13: Give them the Bayonet!: July 21, 1861: Follows stories from the afternoon phase of the First Battle of Bull Run, AKA First Manassas. Covers the Confederate counterattack on Henry House Hill in the afternoon phase of the battle. Union stories: 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, 1st U.S. Artillery, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, 11th New York Volunteer Infantry, 69th New York State Militia, 79th New York Volunteer Infantry, U.S. Marine Battalion, U.S. Regulars Battalion. Confederate Stories: 2nd Virginia Infantry, 4th Virginia Infantry, 5th Virginia Infantry, 8th Virginia Infantry, 27th Virginia Infantry, 33rd Virginia Infantry, 1st Virginia Cavalry.

Chapter 14: Horror at Wilson's Creek: August 10, 1861: Follows stories from the Battle of Wilson's Creek, AKA Oak Hills, the decisive battle of the 1st Missouri Campaign. Union stories: 1st U.S. Infantry, 2nd U.S. Infantry, 1st U.S. Cavalry, 2nd U.S. Artillery. Confederate stories: Missouri State Guard, 3rd Arkansas Infantry.

USA Major

Nice job JDwoody! I might add some expletives from Crum as he got his horse shot out from under him.

I know the man well.

My next chapter is ready for posting. Titled, "A Pleasant Evening", this chapter follows three pickets from Company B of the 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry (for historical purposes, they are actually in Company B of the 3-month 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry) during an evening skirmish on the night of June 1, 1861: the Battle of Arlington Mills.

Chapter 2
    A PLEASANT EVENING
    June 1, 1861

Arlington Mills, Virginia

“Did you hear about the skirmish at Fairfax Court House?” Private Abraham Woodhull, a soldier in Company B of the 3-month 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment asked fellow Private Ainsley Harriott. They were on picket duty near Arlington Mills with Corporal William Wright. “No? What happened?” Harriott asked as he walked through the green trees with Corporal Wright and Private Woodhull. “There was a shootout this morning. Some local militia against some guys of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry.” “Who won?” “Apparently nobody.” “How does nobody win?”

“Quiet, you two” Corporal William Wright barked as he led the patrol. “Sorry, Corporal” Woodhull replied. Private Harriott pulled off his blue Union Army cap and wiped his brow. “Man, this heat’s getting to me” he stated. “Do you ever stop complaining, Harriott?” Woodhull asked. “You ever shut your gap, Woodhull?” Harriott retorted. “Why you--” “Enough!” Wright shouted, spinning around to face the two privates. “We’re on picket duty to scout out Rebel activity in the area. If you two keep yapping like you are, they’ll find us first, and they are going to kill us.”

“Sorry, Corporal” they replied together. While they were moving through the forest on picket duty, a group of Virginia militiamen from a company known as the Blue Mountain Boys spotted them. Darkness was beginning to set in over Arlington Mills, and Captain Michael Waterman, the commander of the Blue Mountain Boys, decided to make a quick move against the Yankees. It was close to 11:00 PM when Corporal Wright turned to his men. “Alright, let’s return to camp. The 11th New York is supposed to be relieving us.” The two privates nodded eagerly, anticipating a good meal back at the camp.

As the pickets began turning back towards the positions of the 11th New York, a crackle of gunfire burst through the darkness. Private Harriott hit the dirt and covered his head as a bullet zipped past his ears. “Shit! Who’s shooting?” “I don’t know!” Private Woodhull shouted back to him. In a nearby patch of trees, Captain Waterman was standing with eight other militiamen from his company, firing on the Yankees. “Fire!” he shouted to his men, who unleashed a volley of musketry upon the Federal soldiers. Private Jonathan Woody, one of the Virginia militiamen, reloaded his Model 1842 smoothbore and prepared to fire again.

“Corporal, what do we do?” Woodhull asked in a state of panic. “Return fire, damn it!” Wright shouted as he stood up, aimed down his Model 1861 musket, and unleashed a bullet from its barrel. Bright flashes of light erupted from the muskets in the evening darkness, accompanied by the crackling of gunshots. Wright looked at his men and said, “Cover me. I’m moving up to that fence.” In their prone position, the two privates began shooting away with their Springfields into the darkness. “Fire!” Captain Waterman barked at his squad. Another volley of musket fire crackled through the night sky.

Corporal James Corpic of the militia squad aimed down the sights of his Lorenz rifle and squeezed the trigger. A puff of smoke shot out of his rifle as he fired, and he grabbed another cartridge for reloading. Corporal Wright rushed over to the wooden fence, dodging bullets left and right as he hit the grassy dirt and aimed down his sights. He could make out the figure of a militiaman in the night. “Got you, you bastard” he muttered to himself before firing.

He watched as the bullet pierced through the leg of the militiaman. “I’m hit!” a private in Waterman’s squad shouted as he fell to the ground wounded. “He got one!” exclaimed Woodhull. He and Private Harriott stood up and began shooting back at the Rebels. More gunfire began to pierce through the night sky from the east as men from the 11th New York arrived to reinforce the 1st Michigan pickets. “Hey! It’s the 11th!” shouted Harriott as he made out the Zouave uniforms of the 11th New York. A bullet whizzed by him. “Hey, don’t shoot at me, damn it!” he called out. Another bullet pierced through his chest, and Harriott cursed in pain as blood oozed from the wound.

Corporal Wright rushed to his aid. “Stop shooting! Stop shooting!” he called out to the 11th New York pickets. Wright looked down at Harriott and applied pressure to his wound. “Talk about shitty luck, right Corporal?” Harriott chuckled as he gasped for air. “You’re going to be fine, Harriott. Stay with me” Wright said. Private Woodhull ran over to the bleeding soldier and Wright. “We need to get him back to camp” Wright told Woodhull. Nearby, the militiamen from the Blue Mountain Boys were watching from the darkness. “Should we continue firing, Sir?” Corpic asked Waterman. “No. We kept them busy and drew their attention. Let’s pull back to camp for the night.”

As the 11th New York pickets began running towards the 1st Michigan pickets, one of their privates looked on in horror at the wounded Harriott. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” he pleaded. “Sorry? You just shot one of our own men! You’re lucky I don’t shoot you right here” Wright yelled as he lashed out against the private. Woodhull had to restrain him from beating the Zouave. Calming down, Wright said, “Let’s get him out of here.” The New Yorkers helped carry Harriott back to the Union camp at Arlington, where he was treated by a doctor.

When the doctor emerged from his tent, he met with Corporal Wright, who was nervously smoking a cigarette. “How’s he look?” he asked the doctor. “The Private will live, Corporal. He was lucky that bullet didn’t go an inch closer to his heart. It’s a minor wound, and he should be fine.” “Thank you, Doctor” Wright replied, shaking hands with the man. When the doctor returned to his tent, Corporal Wright breathed a sigh of relief. Although he had been frustrated at Harriott and Woodhull’s remarks at one another, he wouldn’t allow them to die on his watch. Especially not to friendly fire. It was now midnight. June 1st was over, as was the Battle of Arlington Mills.
    Last edited by JDwoody; 11-29-2018 at 05:35 PM.

I plan on writing my next chapter, "The Philippi Races" on the Battle of Philippi, the first battle of the Western Virginia Campaign, fought on June 3, 1861. For this chapter, I plan on starring soldiers from the 7th and 14th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiments. I also want to add some Confederate stories from the 25th and 31st Virginia Infantry Regiments.

CSA Brigadier General

Aww only one 3rd Arkansas entry! Want to see more
    Captain Ricky C. Wilson
    3rd Arkansas Volunteer Infantry
    A Company "Arkansas Travelers"
    Commanding Officer

USA Captain

Like the creativity! Keep it up!
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA