Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Release Private Servers Question

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Do you guys think that closing a server and imposing artificial game rules ("line battles") is going to contribute in developing the game for public consumption?

Some people blamed me for destroying the community because my events were too good (or I banned too many people).
    idk who u are and i doubt anyone else does.

I should be able to have a private match with friends or against another group. This is a basic function of games in general. Its 2018, private matches and custom games are not a new concept, they are an expected/required feature, and have lead to some of the greatest communities and developments in gaming in general.

Also that poorly made video makes some terrible arguments, competitive events/tournaments always have rules surrounding them, for any game or competition. NW was a Mod, by ur argument we should of never stopped playing vanilla Mount and blade.

I WANT MY RIGHTS TO A PRIVATE SERVER!

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    I think the problem with password protected servers, is that given the userbase isn't huge and most people tend to be in companies, the casual player will just immediately be put off if the only active servers are locked. If the game wants to grow it can't really have that.
    Ya but nothing about this game says it wants to be casual. It's pretty much the opposite, they definitely care about being authentic hardcore and definitely NOT casual.

So are they gonna answer the need of the MAJOR portion of people who will buy this, to not be a filthy casual and be part of organized events.
    Or are they still gonna pretend they are building a game for a mass market and prevent people from having locked organized events to prove their point, cause if they do, this game is dead in less then 2 months.

The only way this game can have longevity is through organized community.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Do you guys think that closing a server and imposing artificial game rules ("line battles") is going to contribute in developing the game for public consumption?

The thing is with line battle culture is if the game isn't adequately made for it then it's full of bickering and arguments and forces players to go against their own instinct which is inherently hopeless. The biggest problem with 'realism' communities across all games like this is a lot of people are totally happy retreating into locked servers a couple days a week for drills and closed events to the point they're only out and about to recruit. So unconnected new players are greeted with empty servers full of trolls and sub-par gameplay.

That was the trap we fell into in Resistance and Liberation. I believe almost anyone would agree. Some people blamed me for destroying the community because my events were too good (or I banned too many people). Attachment 10011 People only wanted to play events in closed servers because it more closely provided the team-oriented gameplay they came to the game for in the first place. The developers had not taken a radical enough approach developing it in order to make players work close together and not rambo about. So public gameplay was not what people wanted, they wanted forced behavior. It got so bad that it became more and more difficult to muster enough players to go into a server to begin an event. As soon as we reached a threshold of a 2/3rds full server, a stampede would come. But your average player all but refused to spend time in a server playing the game normally for more than 10 or 15 minutes. It'd be infinitely better if the game coerced desired behavior to the point that a 'regiment' can just show up in a server and operate realistically and be successful. I think the balance is reachable but we're not there yet.

I don't think a lot of people imagine this as being attainable so they just want a closed server. I admit that it's a little ridiculous to be able to have a server and not password it right now (among the more serious issues of not having admins - might want to add a disclaimer before people buy servers thinking it's anything other than a billboard ATM ). But I'm glad it's the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkNv_gmKOM
    Not everyone wants a private server just to line up all the time and shoot at each other. Furthermore, in line battle events, there are often skirmishers on both sides. Is it fun to sometimes do that and shoot at each other, yeah, it's cinematic and fun every once in a while. Still, a lot of people want private servers just so they don't deal with rambos, and they do not want to deal with rambos not because we only want line battles, but because it can contribute to morale losses in a match a significant amount. Before we did not like rambos because officer spam, now it's because of the morale loss. Finally, units who want passworded servers do not want to also always lock it off, many have said that they will keep it open and still do public events, that is the best way to recruit and expose people to the game, and everyone knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsboredom View Post
    idk who u are and i doubt anyone else does.
    The guy was well-known and very active on the forum board of Resistance and Liberation community until the mod died out...

Quote Originally Posted by fury1ord View Post
    The guy was well-known and very active on the forum board of Resistance and Liberation community until the mod died out...
    forgive me, cares*

wait a sec did you just create a second account to backup your worthless nonsense forum cred!?
    Last edited by keithsboredom; 12-05-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsboredom View Post
    forgive me, cares*

wait a sec did you just create a second account to backup your worthless nonsense forum cred!?
    Lel, no...

Quote Originally Posted by MercerQC View Post
    The only way this game can have longevity is through organized community.
    I have a different outlook derived from experience. I saw organization after organization come and go in every community I've been a part of. To borrow from a Tyler Perry's Madea skit on relationships, the organizations are the leaves that wither and die with the seasons. The game itself are the roots of the tree and developing that is paramount above all else. They're what matters long term. The roots will be here 12 months from now. Flash forward 12 months and many of the organizations and key players won't. I realize this is blasphemy but it's also 100% true. I dealt with several iterations of players in several communities and spent plenty of time pleading for old-timers to come back and get involved again. Two years from now there will be few of you left who are here today - write it on the calendar and take it to the bank.

Those organizations that last long unfortunately generally become pariahs because they were never guarded against becoming one. My favorites are the ones that pack up and move to other games and take a lot of players with them. Darkest Hour for example, I put 500 hours into that game and TBH I don't remember the 'big' organization, was it 29th ID? They're gone now. They never ran events. The ones they tried were poorly ran. Clan leadership always, always becomes disengaged but they don't step down while spending most of their time playing other games. Their servers seldom had admins and they could care less about things going on outside their immediate team proximity. What I find is gamers just want to play the game. Few and far between are people who game to whom the game is making order out of chaos. That's no fun to most people if you're not a specific type of crazy. Most people wither and fade away. The root gameplay being unfavorable to what the community wants and needs will accelerate that attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Still, a lot of people want private servers just so they don't deal with rambos, and they do not want to deal with rambos not because we only want line battles, but because it can contribute to morale losses in a match a significant amount. Before we did not like rambos because officer spam, now it's because of the morale loss.
    Does anyone honestly like rambos? So it makes me curious why there's always this tendency to oppose radical ideas to mitigate rambos. Why should it matter one bit to the score if some random guy is killed away from teammates? It shouldn't. I whole-heartedly support the right to rambo I just think the game should make it very hard to play and recover when out of line through suppression and make you utterly useless at close proximity to the point you physically cannot meelee and are autosurrendered against enemy in formation. It shouldn't be punishing the team for the actions of individuals. Going into closed events at this stage in development is willfully creating a mirage that the game functions better than it does.

People keep saying on the forums that it's already hard to rambo - it isn't. It's hard to help your team when ramboing but it isn't hard to rambo at all. So why not make it harder to rambo? I've got ideas, I'll share 'em around Christmas in another poorly-made video. ja.gif
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-05-2018 at 03:03 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Quite frankly plm, your experiences in another game based on a different niche game play type with different rules, different game mechanics, and different community, doesn't matter here.

I'd like to be able to reserve slots for my 50+ Texans now showing up nightly. I'd like to make sure they can play with the unit they signed up for. I'd like to ensure they can be with their company. I'd like to put up a password when we switch over to a drill camp. I'd like to have them learn the maps in peace, without fear of being shot down for simply trying to find good places on each map. I'd like the option to kick or ban the random disturbers of the peace that show up and scream over unit leaders on their own server, or shoot the captains because they can.

To be blunt, you don't lead a unit in WoR, and you aren't apart of the unit community. For you to dictate what's best for us is laughably arrogant. People play linebattle games to join units, that's the short of it. If this game, which was advertised as being completely "company friendly," does not implement some simple QoL for those units? The game will start to hurt by next week.
    Last edited by LaBelle; 12-05-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I like the War of Rights Facebook post today and the terminology it uses: Line formation Teamplay. That's what players play games like this for. For many 'companies' (clans) are a means to an end. People join clans in a lot of games for a lot of reasons. It isn't unique to 'line battle' games. I assure you there's plenty of people not interested in joining a unit for as many reasons as people join one. I would never even dream of starting my own unit before private servers and before admins and even then I'd weigh full-heartedly the immense sacrifice in time and stress that causes when done properly as you're now just beginning to discover. With servers comes power, before that there is none whatsoever. What on Earth could you have done if you tried to discharge a member and he just kept coming around and refused to remove his tags? Nothing, just like you still can't. I don't set out to accomplish the impossible. The game is still being created and designed and this is a window of opportunity that will eventually close to fashion the way it's made. The window for creating and running organizations is never going to close. I really don't care about relationships or feelings or whatever because, like I said, those people and organizations come and go. I'm not going anywhere. I won't 'take a break' and go play Arma3 or Holdfast or whatever other games, I put my flag down and I stay put. I like 1st TX but I doubt you guys will be on 'nightly' very long. Don't burn yourself out.

And I agree with what you said previously.

Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-05-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

You're comparing a post about private servers for events to a post about private servers for the sake of privacy. In that thread, my post was about what happens when events are held exclusively on private servers, and those servers are locked/passworded to keep the pubbies out of events.

In this thread, I'm talking about having the option to reserve slots for members of the unit, and to password lock for training reasons. I still stand by my thoughts in that last thread, stating that private servers can kill linebattle communities, but you're nuts if you think the two thoughts can't coexist. Moderation comes with the territory and server owners should be allowed to password/kick/ban when necessary, but also should know not to seclude themselves behind their wall.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!