Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steam Release Private Servers Question

Quote Originally Posted by Xolbadur View Post
    'Cause they got tricked by buying the game, thinking that those servers exist, like me. And sales numbers =/= active players.
    Ah did the kickstarter specify there was definitely private servers during the alpha?

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    Ah did the kickstarter specify there was definitely private servers during the alpha?
    No. Tricking implying dishonesty on the developer’s part, they have always been very clear that private servers would arrive with EA. Password protection will come at a later date, sooner rather than later.

Sorry for thinking that a game with server offers private ones with passwords, like every other game. Dude, if you're trying to ridicule me here, it won't work.
    I brought my points across and you're already grasping for the last straw with your arguments. I'm done discussing this with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xolbadur View Post
    Sorry for thinking that a game with server offers private ones with passwords, like every other game. Dude, if you're trying to ridicule me here, it won't work.
    I brought my points across and you're already grasping for the last straw with your arguments. I'm done discussing this with you.
    From what Leifr said it seems pretty clear passworded servers were confirmed but not stated when it would be released. Seems no-one needs to cry after all.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    No. Tricking implying dishonesty on the developer’s part, they have always been very clear that private servers would arrive with EA. Password protection will come at a later date, sooner rather than later.
    I've discussed this with my company and the general consensus is we will consider investing in a server ONLY when we can password protect it, toss and even ban players.

Having private servers with option for password gives the ability for regiments to train without being bothered by others, organised small events AND to also host public events.
    Frankly, I'm coming in with a fairly sizeable EU community and we'd like to have both options. We played the public and love the atmosphere and ,generally speaking, the people.
    We'd also want to have the option to organize, pretty much daily, private server events (both public and private) but for that we'd need the option to turn password on and off.

It's the flexibility that we want, not to seclude ourselves from the rest of the community.

I appreciate you probably don't understand how to grow a community in a game. One way not to grow it is before the game is even out of early release, closing off the game to potential customers.

I understand your elitist views regarding realism. The game still needs to be accessible for everyone, so future realism converts aren't put off by empty servers.

Yours truly, the one without the rose tinted glasses.
    Why do you think Warband: Napoleonic War is still being played even tho the game is 5-6 years old. The only reason is because of the organized community that could organized events on locked server. War of Rights just like NW is a niche game and everything I have seen about this game shows it's not trying to appeal to general gamers. No kill feed, no leaderboard(even at the end of a game) very vague system of which team is winning. The devs have pretty much done nothing, gameplay wise, to appeal to casual gamers. But at the same time we get the message, we don't want locked server because we want everything to happen on public server, to grow the community like you said.

It doesn't make sense.

This is the kind of game that will shine through organization of ruled events. The only reason I bought NW, is because I saw a video of a regiment during an organized Linebattle and I thought it was insane. I played NW for 4 years, twice a week during organized event. Without those events, I probably wouldn't have played the game for more then a month and I am not the only one. For the last 3 years of the game, there was only one main public server that was populated. The rest of the time it was locked servers with organized events.

This game will attract the exact same community, hell the devs are the one who did North and South(a mod that was played by that same community)

Fortunately the devs have kind of retracted what they were first saying here in this thread and are now saying on steam that they will definitely bring locked servers.

Last edited by MercerQC; 12-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.

CSA Major

TrustyJam has, to my knowledge, never played Warband. The development team, except Hinkel, have zero connection to North and South.

They never said otherwise, only that password protected serves would not be available at EA launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I've discussed this with my company and the general consensus is we will consider investing in a server ONLY when we can password protect it, toss and even ban players.
    Definitely the way to go. What I'm paying for now is basically a $111/month billboard. I'm a little worried about the server host web control panel as the max ban you can add through their system is a whopping hour. I don't feel misled, because we would have seen any existing admin controls tested or used by now if they had existed. I just would never in my life recommend anyone anywhere owning a server without any real control over it outside of which map to start it on.

I sympathize with some folks feeling jipped while I also understand why the developers released on steam after running out of crowdfunding steam keys. December is the best time to release like this for a good reception. I'm sure the servers will have some rudimentary admin abilities soon. We've existed up 'til now without admins or passwords but it's not sustainable forever. I didn't see the ball rolling on the steam release so fast.

My bet is that within a week or three we'll have some simple admin abilities, at that point if you want to do closed server stuff then you're going to want to change your server name to something like "*DO NOT ENTER, Private event* [Server Name]" and it should keep a lot of people out if you're doing some super secret training stuff.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by MercerQC View Post
    Why do you think Warband: Napoleonic War is still being played even tho the game is 5-6 years old. The only reason is because of the organized community that could organized events on locked server. War of Rights just like NW is a niche game and everything I have seen about this game shows it's not trying to appeal to general gamers. No kill feed, no leaderboard(even at the end of a game) very vague system of which team is winning. The devs have pretty much done nothing, gameplay wise, to appeal to casual gamers. But at the same time we get the message, we don't want locked server because we want everything to happen on public server, to grow the community like you said.

It doesn't make sense.

This is the kind of game that will shine through organization of ruled events. The only reason I bought NW, is because I saw a video of a regiment during an organized Linebattle and I thought it was insane. I played NW for 4 years, twice a week during organized event. Without those events, I probably wouldn't have played the game for more then a month and I am not the only one. For the last 3 years of the game, there was only one main public server that was populated. The rest of the time it was locked servers with organized events.

This game will attract the exact same community, hell the devs are the one who did North and South(a mod that was played by that same community)

Fortunately the devs have kind of retracted what they were first saying here in this thread and are now saying on steam that they will definitely bring locked servers.

I agree that at some stage locked servers are needed. Its just when the game isn't even officially released as a full game, having a large percentage of the active population in locked servers is not going to help the growth of the game in the long run.

I played M&B from the early alpha, and I can confirm there were no private servers there before its official launch either. shock.