Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Release Private Servers Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steam Release Private Servers Question

Hello,

When can we expect to hear any news on us getting our own private servers to train on and host line-battles?
    Now with Early Access a musket shot away, I would assume this will come eventually.

Thank you,

Jack

Community hosted servers will likely be available at the EA launch, if not then then soon after.

You can moderate these as you please but note that we are not supporting password protected servers for the EA launch (we may in the future if we see a need for it).

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Community hosted servers will likely be available at the EA launch, if not then then soon after.

You can moderate these as you please but note that we are not supporting password protected servers for the EA launch (we may in the future if we see a need for it).

- Trusty
    This is a tone deaf response. Can you explain the reasoning for killing your own game in it's crib?

Passworded servers are a necessity

From my experience, communities would like to have the Option to put and remove passwords on their own private servers for use in closed events, trainings, fun Regimental-events.

I think the problem with password protected servers, is that given the userbase isn't huge and most people tend to be in companies, the casual player will just immediately be put off if the only active servers are locked. If the game wants to grow it can't really have that.

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    I think the problem with password protected servers, is that given the userbase isn't huge and most people tend to be in companies, the casual player will just immediately be put off if the only active servers are locked. If the game wants to grow it can't really have that.
    Ya but nothing about this game says it wants to be casual. It's pretty much the opposite, they definitely care about being authentic hardcore and definitely NOT casual.

So are they gonna answer the need of the MAJOR portion of people who will buy this, to not be a filthy casual and be part of organized events.
    Or are they still gonna pretend they are building a game for a mass market and prevent people from having locked organized events to prove their point, cause if they do, this game is dead in less then 2 months.

The only way this game can have longevity is through organized community.

Quote Originally Posted by MercerQC View Post
    I have a different outlook derived from experience. I saw organization after organization come and go in every community I've been a part of. To borrow from a Tyler Perry's Madea skit on relationships, the organizations are the leaves that wither and die with the seasons. The game itself are the roots of the tree and developing that is paramount above all else. They're what matters long term. The roots will be here 12 months from now. Flash forward 12 months and many of the organizations and key players won't. I realize this is blasphemy but it's also 100% true. I dealt with several iterations of players in several communities and spent plenty of time pleading for old-timers to come back and get involved again. Two years from now there will be few of you left who are here today - write it on the calendar and take it to the bank.

Those organizations that last long unfortunately generally become pariahs because they were never guarded against becoming one. My favorites are the ones that pack up and move to other games and take a lot of players with them. Darkest Hour for example, I put 500 hours into that game and TBH I don't remember the 'big' organization, was it 29th ID? They're gone now. They never ran events. The ones they tried were poorly ran. Clan leadership always, always becomes disengaged but they don't step down while spending most of their time playing other games. Their servers seldom had admins and they could care less about things going on outside their immediate team proximity. What I find is gamers just want to play the game. Few and far between are people who game to whom the game is making order out of chaos. That's no fun to most people if you're not a specific type of crazy. Most people wither and fade away. The root gameplay being unfavorable to what the community wants and needs will accelerate that attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Still, a lot of people want private servers just so they don't deal with rambos, and they do not want to deal with rambos not because we only want line battles, but because it can contribute to morale losses in a match a significant amount. Before we did not like rambos because officer spam, now it's because of the morale loss.
    Does anyone honestly like rambos? So it makes me curious why there's always this tendency to oppose radical ideas to mitigate rambos. Why should it matter one bit to the score if some random guy is killed away from teammates? It shouldn't. I whole-heartedly support the right to rambo I just think the game should make it very hard to play and recover when out of line through suppression and make you utterly useless at close proximity to the point you physically cannot meelee and are autosurrendered against enemy in formation. It shouldn't be punishing the team for the actions of individuals. Going into closed events at this stage in development is willfully creating a mirage that the game functions better than it does.

People keep saying on the forums that it's already hard to rambo - it isn't. It's hard to help your team when ramboing but it isn't hard to rambo at all. So why not make it harder to rambo? I've got ideas, I'll share 'em around Christmas in another poorly-made video. ja.gif
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-05-2018 at 03:03 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Ya but nothing about this game says it wants to be casual. It's pretty much the opposite, they definitely care about being authentic hardcore and definitely NOT casual.

So are they gonna answer the need of the MAJOR portion of people who will buy this, to not be a filthy casual and be part of organized events.
    Or are they still gonna pretend they are building a game for a mass market and prevent people from having locked organized events to prove their point, cause if they do, this game is dead in less then 2 months.

I appreciate you probably don't understand how to grow a community in a game. One way not to grow it is before the game is even out of early release, closing off the game to potential customers.

I understand your elitist views regarding realism. The game still needs to be accessible for everyone, so future realism converts aren't put off by empty servers.

Yours truly, the one without the rose tinted glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by anderon46 View Post
    I appreciate you probably don't understand how to grow a community in a game. One way not to grow it is before the game is even out of early release, closing off the game to potential customers.

I understand your elitist views regarding realism. The game still needs to be accessible for everyone, so future realism converts aren't put off by empty servers.

Why do you think Warband: Napoleonic War is still being played even tho the game is 5-6 years old. The only reason is because of the organized community that could organized events on locked server. War of Rights just like NW is a niche game and everything I have seen about this game shows it's not trying to appeal to general gamers. No kill feed, no leaderboard(even at the end of a game) very vague system of which team is winning. The devs have pretty much done nothing, gameplay wise, to appeal to casual gamers. But at the same time we get the message, we don't want locked server because we want everything to happen on public server, to grow the community like you said.

It doesn't make sense.

This is the kind of game that will shine through organization of ruled events. The only reason I bought NW, is because I saw a video of a regiment during an organized Linebattle and I thought it was insane. I played NW for 4 years, twice a week during organized event. Without those events, I probably wouldn't have played the game for more then a month and I am not the only one. For the last 3 years of the game, there was only one main public server that was populated. The rest of the time it was locked servers with organized events.

This game will attract the exact same community, hell the devs are the one who did North and South(a mod that was played by that same community)

Fortunately the devs have kind of retracted what they were first saying here in this thread and are now saying on steam that they will definitely bring locked servers.

Last edited by MercerQC; 12-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Why do you think Warband: Napoleonic War is still being played even tho the game is 5-6 years old. The only reason is because of the organized community that could organized events on locked server. War of Rights just like NW is a niche game and everything I have seen about this game shows it's not trying to appeal to general gamers. No kill feed, no leaderboard(even at the end of a game) very vague system of which team is winning. The devs have pretty much done nothing, gameplay wise, to appeal to casual gamers. But at the same time we get the message, we don't want locked server because we want everything to happen on public server, to grow the community like you said.

It doesn't make sense.

This is the kind of game that will shine through organization of ruled events. The only reason I bought NW, is because I saw a video of a regiment during an organized Linebattle and I thought it was insane. I played NW for 4 years, twice a week during organized event. Without those events, I probably wouldn't have played the game for more then a month and I am not the only one. For the last 3 years of the game, there was only one main public server that was populated. The rest of the time it was locked servers with organized events.

This game will attract the exact same community, hell the devs are the one who did North and South(a mod that was played by that same community)

Fortunately the devs have kind of retracted what they were first saying here in this thread and are now saying on steam that they will definitely bring locked servers.

I agree that at some stage locked servers are needed. Its just when the game isn't even officially released as a full game, having a large percentage of the active population in locked servers is not going to help the growth of the game in the long run.

I played M&B from the early alpha, and I can confirm there were no private servers there before its official launch either. shock.