Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small quibble: Bedrolls

Small quibble: Bedrolls

Typically, a CW soldier on the march would not have anything impeding his right shoulder. Going to Right shoulder shift with a bedroll in the way is cumbersome at the very least.

There is one famous photo of a captured Confederate solider at Gettysburg with his bedroll draped on the right. I submit he was either stupid or not a very good soldier.

I joined via Steam yesterday, but I have been eagerly waiting for a chance to get involved with this "game". I have been a huge CW enthusiast/historian/re-enactor for years. I cannot wait to see where this goes!

Please consider flipping the bedroll to the left shoulder where it belongs. I know... silly and small but it bugs me because I know it doesn't work

If I remember correctly there is a chance for it to be on both sides.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by CupOHemlock View Post
    Typically, a CW soldier on the march would not have anything impeding his right shoulder.
    Well, you are wrong.
    Since this game cover the maryland campaign we can take a look at the photo of CSA soldiers in Maryland.

Some carry it on the right and some on the left.
    tumblr_odamn4sjzc1rd3evlo1_1280.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Like Aagaard said, here is a bigger picture of it.
    Have a look at the soldier infront, aiming at the camera. He has right shoulder shift AND his bed roll on

https://www.evblog.virginiahumanitie...osenstock.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    While not disagreeing with your observation re: bedroll placement, this photograph was taken in 1864, not during the Maryland Campaign.
    I presume, based on other descriptions of the photo and the 3 East Patrick Street address of the dry goods store, that the troops in the ranks on the street are facing West. Unless there was a lot of counter marching during the Confederates’ 1864 visit, the Confederates came through Frederick from West to East in 1864 on their way to attack the City of Warshington. So, I believe the photo was taken during their first, 1862, sojourn in Frederick County just prior to the battle of Antietam (thats a quote btw )
    Last edited by Hinkel; 12-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.

USA Sergeant

Red mark = over right shoulder
    Green mark = over left
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-05-2018 at 09:31 PM.

I normally don't get involved in the historical minutiae but wouldn't these guys frequently drop their packs somewhere before going into combat? Obviously not on the way there
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I normally don't get involved in the historical minutiae but wouldn't these guys frequently drop their packs somewhere before going into combat? Obviously not on the way there
    The problem with dropping it, is that there is a very real risk of loose it if things go badly. And even if you attack and push the enemy back. You entire regiment can't just drop out of line to go a mile or maybe even more true terrain they do not know to hopefully find their dropped stuff.
    And after a day of fighting having your blanket, dry socks and a dry shirt would likely be a nice thing to have. just like having the tools to do a bit of cooking.

So It entirely depend on the situation. What is the advantage? What is challenges of doing it?

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Researchers recently discovered that the photograph is actually on North Market Street.
    Do you have a link to any articles about it?

(I do remember reading something about this a year or two ago)

Thanks for the replies all. I am basing my opinion on re-enactment experience and written personal accounts. I have a left dominant eye and shoot for real from the left shoulder, but everyone had to shoot on the right shoulder when in line of battle. It just is not workable to have to maneuver around a bedroll for the manual of arms.

I wrapped mine around the top of my backpack.