Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small quibble: Bedrolls

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I normally don't get involved in the historical minutiae but wouldn't these guys frequently drop their packs somewhere before going into combat? Obviously not on the way there
    The problem with dropping it, is that there is a very real risk of loose it if things go badly. And even if you attack and push the enemy back. You entire regiment can't just drop out of line to go a mile or maybe even more true terrain they do not know to hopefully find their dropped stuff.
    And after a day of fighting having your blanket, dry socks and a dry shirt would likely be a nice thing to have. just like having the tools to do a bit of cooking.

So It entirely depend on the situation. What is the advantage? What is challenges of doing it?
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Researchers recently discovered that the photograph is actually on North Market Street.
    Do you have a link to any articles about it?

(I do remember reading something about this a year or two ago)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Thanks for the replies all. I am basing my opinion on re-enactment experience and written personal accounts. I have a left dominant eye and shoot for real from the left shoulder, but everyone had to shoot on the right shoulder when in line of battle. It just is not workable to have to maneuver around a bedroll for the manual of arms.

I wrapped mine around the top of my backpack.

USA Captain

Sometimes they would if they drop their knapsacks if they had a chance, but not always. It's a difference of going in lite or heavy. As a re enactor we did it both ways, sometimes there's accounts where they mention whether they went in lite or heavy. I'm guessing a lot of the time it was a matter of personal preference. If you had something of importance to you in your knapsack you probably kept it on.
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437313847154704384/447545314677751818/sexy.png?width=959&height=200

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I'm not so certain that dropping packs and/blanket rolls was a standard practice.

While the concept exists in the manuals of the day, I'm inclined to conclude it was a commander thing.

Many reports I've read swings either way. And some reports state that as one side pushed the other off the field, comments read about passing piles of both public and private property being scattered or a given area.

I'd like to see the option of which shoulder, and the ability to drop them.

Yes, but if you had an option whether to drop it or keep it why would any player keep it assuming there was some advantage to dropping it? Plus I think it might add a bit more strain on the clients rendering those models separately.

Join group, invite the most friends - win $25 steam gift card. See details in group description:
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/OldPenn

USA Captain

If a unit historically dropped their packs during the battle their model's don't need packs. However, if there is no proof they did then they should keep them on.