Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Concern

You'd have to be crazy to believe there aren't more racist trolls in a game where you can be a side that fought for slavery, tbh. In this thread even, we have someone constantly typing out uncensored racial slurs for... Shock value? And multiple Lost Cause mythology supporters just blazing away. One user with a Dylann Roof-esque profile photo suggesting he'd support racism in his group, and another suggesting that they're just role-playing so it's ok. Bizarre behavior.
    Last edited by Monroe; 12-10-2018 at 11:28 AM.

CSA Major

Spend some time in Rising Storm 2, there are levels of abuse in that game towards Asian folk that I haven't heard anywhere else. It was always going to happen with this game too once it reached a wider audience on Early Access. There isn't much one may do about it other than to first challenge their behaviour in-game and then hit the 'mute' button. Obtain screenshot/video evidence and submit it to their company commander (if they have one), I am fairly confident that every officer here would discharge players who are guilty of these things. When a more complete and robust set of server tools arrive, administrators will be free to ban perpetrators of racial slurs.

CSA Captain

I tend to believe that all this 'outrage' is only fuelling the very thing you wish to stop!

Trolls feed of this offence, and this thread is now tinder to their flames. I say close this thread and marginalise the them once and for all.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Captain

You're upset that I'm not censoring the word "nigger?" You've gotta be a troll. Please leave our community, we don't need nor want someone so completely toxic in here. Every time I have used the word "nigger," it's been in context, never addressed to an individual, never said from a place of hatred, and never have I once implied anyone to be a "nigger." I expected you to be an adult capable of having a conversation without censoring ourselves, but clearly that isn't the case. You're just here to raise a ruckus for no reason.

Also, press T to find the offenders, press tab to view your score screen, and mute.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I am on the 'Mute and move on' team. Can't Stop the internet being full of bad people. Ignore them and give them no further fuel. Find the people you want to play the game with simple as that.
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Spend some time in Rising Storm 2, there are levels of abuse in that game towards Asian folk that I haven't heard anywhere else. It was always going to happen with this game too once it reached a wider audience on Early Access. There isn't much one may do about it other than to first challenge their behaviour in-game and then hit the 'mute' button. Obtain screenshot/video evidence and submit it to their company commander (if they have one), I am fairly confident that every officer here would discharge players who are guilty of these things. When a more complete and robust set of server tools arrive, administrators will be free to ban perpetrators of racial slurs.
    Exactly Leifr. That is taking a stand, rather than just try and ignore it. I for one think that, that alone will show trolls and the racist it would attract alike, that this is not the place. But I might be naive

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I very much disagree that this game is "a cesspit of racism" - I think you do the game as well as its community a great disservice by stating so.

Trolls are all over the internet so they are in WoR also. They surely are not more so here than elsewhere however.

No, they very much indeed "go away" as they will have been muted in both 3D voice and text chat. The only thing left for them to do at that point to annoy you is to change their nicknames to something silly or to TK you. After a few TK's they will have been banned as well.

- Trusty
    I don't think it is Tusty. I allso wrote somehwere else in this post that I was impressed when I joined, over how many gentlemen there is , and the comminty it builds. But if you have servers where this is allowed. This will ofc lure them all in to the same place. Cause now we have public servers. So Nordisk modstands rørelse could easily rent a server with some piers from around EU or US . And all have alot of "fun" in the name of this game- Devs and community alike.
    I Allso wrote this reply to your other recent post. But it's very long so be warned :P .....

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Please note that there have been a spike in bad behavior every time we opened up for new players (it was very bad indeed when skirmishes launched for the captain tiered backers with no muting nor any anti TK measures in place).

Each time, however, the vast majority of the trolls either straightned themselves up and became valuable assets to the community or they packed up and moved on - the same thing will happen this time - then there will be a new influx when the game gains in popularity due to youtube coverage or a sale and then there will be new trolls that will eventually pack it up, etc. etc.

It's a cycle.

- Trusty
    Yes that is allso what I have heard from "the old guys". Wich just make me more bewildered, cause was it not allso the community that took a stand against it, calling it out but even more importantly insisted on creating a community where things like that don't pass, through coming together, wich then shows trolls etc. that this is not the place. Rather than expect it to go away by ignoring these persons. Atleast that's the lore as I have understanded it. And allso what I have experienced in the few weeks I have been here before EA. But you would know that way, way better than me. obviously

But I do not believe it will be that easy now that this game is public. If we look away from all the semantics of values of words. Then we still have a game where one side is associated with nothing but rasicsm and slavery in the wide public. In a western world where there is identity policies allover the place, confederate monuments are taken down, and the flag basicly frawned upon. And games get's called sexist because some 7th wave feminist didn't bothered to hide in a freezer for two minutes, but choosed to strangle two sexworkers. Then if we add a server full of people running around yellings racist slurs with set flag in the setting of the US Civil war, a war that most people only see as proslavery vs no slavery. And we must remember that people can now rent their own server if the do so please, that can only end in a nasty way.

And I understand that Campfire, this community or the people renting out server space, should'n be held responisble for others people way of behavior. But what we can do is as a community and yes you guys in Campfire, is to take a clear stance on this. And show the world by action and word that we do not stand for this BS. That! will go a whole long way, and the public (in lack of better words) will understand that we are a community infested by this, and not one based on it. Cause that will be the interpitation. Atleast based on the way many other games, and their players are treated in the public. Cause then give a damn about this game here. They just love the drama or the scandal headline that brings in tons of click.

And on a fun note I am shocked how chill you are about this LOL Trusty! look what they did to Hitman duude! another Company based in DK. I still have to explain the concept of the game to people, cause they think it's about killing women. Sadly people don't like facts

EDIT: sorry for long post, Im kind of a kværulant so it's hard for me to keep it short

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    Sadly History is often written by the victors.....
    But in this case history was very much written by men like Jubal A. Early.
    And his friend in the Southern Historical Society.

And the United Daughters of the Confederacy did a fantastic job at making sure that school books in the south, even by the end of the 20th century, used school books that presented their version of history. (the war was over tariffs and slaves where happy being slaves)

A good example is the fact that there was not one single statue of Longstreet anywhere until 1998. And it was build in Gettysburg.

I mean the Guy was Lee's right hand and a great general... but he became a republican after the war and as such was seen as a traitor.

The war might have destroyed slavery as it existed,. but by the 1880ties the old white powerbase was back in total control of the south and they didn't loose any of it again until the 1960tiews...

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Also make no mistake in making the assumption that the south was all racist.
    But 95+% of white southerners where racist. Just like they where racist in the north. It was the norm.

Even if you was very much against slavery, that did not mean that you wanted the colored man to be your social and legal equal.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. Dane Karlsen View Post
    I don't think it is Tusty. I allso wrote somehwere else in this post that I was impressed when I joined, over how many gentlemen there is , and the comminty it builds. But if you have servers where this is allowed. This will ofc lure them all in to the same place. Cause now we have public servers. So Nordisk modstands rørelse could easily rent a server with some piers from around EU or US . And all have alot of "fun" in the name of this game- Devs and community alike.
    I Allso wrote this reply to your other recent post. But it's very long so be warned :P .....

Yes that is allso what I have heard from "the old guys". Wich just make me more bewildered, cause was it not allso the community that took a stand against it, calling it out but even more importantly insisted on creating a community where things like that don't pass, through coming together, wich then shows trolls etc. that this is not the place. Rather than expect it to go away by ignoring these persons. Atleast that's the lore as I have understanded it. And allso what I have experienced in the few weeks I have been here before EA. But you would know that way, way better than me. obviously

But I do not believe it will be that easy now that this game is public. If we look away from all the semantics of values of words. Then we still have a game where one side is associated with nothing but rasicsm and slavery in the wide public. In a western world where there is identity policies allover the place, confederate monuments are taken down, and the flag basicly frawned upon. And games get's called sexist because some 7th wave feminist didn't bothered to hide in a freezer for two minutes, but choosed to strangle two sexworkers. Then if we add a server full of people running around yellings racist slurs with set flag in the setting of the US Civil war, a war that most people only see as proslavery vs no slavery. And we must remember that people can now rent their own server if the do so please, that can only end in a nasty way.

And I understand that Campfire, this community or the people renting out server space, should'n be held responisble for others people way of behavior. But what we can do is as a community and yes you guys in Campfire, is to take a clear stance on this. And show the world by action and word that we do not stand for this BS. That! will go a whole long way, and the public (in lack of better words) will understand that we are a community infested by this, and not one based on it. Cause that will be the interpitation. Atleast based on the way many other games, and their players are treated in the public. Cause then give a damn about this game here. They just love the drama or the scandal headline that brings in tons of click.

And on a fun note I am shocked how chill you are about this LOL Trusty! look what they did to Hitman duude! another Company based in DK. I still have to explain the concept of the game to people, cause they think it's about killing women. Sadly people don't like facts

EDIT: sorry for long post, Im kind of a kværulant so it's hard for me to keep it short
    All good, thanks for taking your time to reply in-depth.

The thing is, we've already taken a stance by giving the best possible tool to the players wanting to get rid of stuff like this as we possibly can: the mute option.

Just as we have taken a stance against TK'ing on purpose with the introduction of the punishment system.

You will not find us spending time on posting public apologies each time an idiot says something in our game - there are far too many idiots for this and far too little of our time to even consider this. Mute them and move on.

I'm so chill because I realize what the internet is like and that we offer tools to remedy it. I couldn't care less about what certain uneducated people, only looking for the next thing to be outraged by, think of our game. It wasn't made for those guys in the first place - we lost those when we introduced violence/CSA flags/option to play as a confederate, etc. etc. anyways.

- Trusty

USA Brigadier General

I fall in with the guys who say just ignore it. Trusty is also right every time with a new wave we notice that some racist trolls joins the game and left it after some days or weeks.

Last Saturday I dont know how often we got called as "fuckin' German Nazis", "take the gas out" or "Shut up fuckin Nazi Kraut".

Sometimes it hard to ignore this especially if you can not see who said this to mute him but hey it is also an online game and shit like this happen. I dont care what a guy online says to me and show me that a hamburger has more brain than him. ^^

From time to time this guys will appear but I think in one or two weeks you will see lesser and lesser of them because trolling doesn't make fun if nobody cares.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02