Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Concern

Serious Concern

I know the devs have a lot on their plates for a small team. I wouldn’t bring this up if I didn’t think it was serious.

I think some of the terrible racist things I am hearing on the VOIP cross the line and need to be clamped down on. And the sooner the better.

I know you cannot police the game 24/7, but if you at least gave some responsible community members server admin controls, they could take appropriate action and send out a strong message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.

Where does the realism begin and end?

USA Captain

If you press tab and hit the VOIP icon, they will be muted. First line of defense against the trolls.

USA General of the Army

First and only defense unless we want to start acting like The Nanny State.
    Trolls, and their worse Kin, will soon find themselves muted to the point of talking to themselves and locked out of every Private Server.
    THERE is your Community Policing and all that is needed, imho.

Play Nice, Play Smart and Play to Win!
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    I know the devs have a lot on their plates for a small team. I wouldn’t bring this up if I didn’t think it was serious.

I think some of the terrible racist things I am hearing on the VOIP cross the line and need to be clamped down on. And the sooner the better.

I know you cannot police the game 24/7, but if you at least gave some responsible community members server admin controls, they could take appropriate action and send out a strong message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.
    I certainly hope no such things is being spouted on the 1st Texas server. Please tell me if so.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

CSA Captain

I've heard a fair bit in the last week or so I do have to admit, including one guy who likes to sing a song "i'm a southern N****r" it's pretty damn abhorrent tbh.
    I usualy play confederate and it's very disheartening to hear this sort of thing, I do wonder whether we need to revisit the server admins viewpoint, but i know that the controls for those with private servers are not yet in place...

edit - worth mentioning that this was unfortunately a little bit expected, people are people and we can't just "let the right ones in"
    Pete
    Last edited by Melonfish; 12-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Totally don't use that language myself and you can your servers however you want buuut...

is it really that serious? It's the internet, man. And we're killing each other. I've never in my life put any restrictions or filters on language and never will outside of my own underlings who are held to higher standards, planned events when it's a distraction, or spamming the chat in general. They do it do get a reaction and it's too hard to police. No reaction and they get bored fast. It's the lightest form of trolling. If you've got kids too young to hear language then maybe not put them in a game where people murder each other many times a round? I never understood that. Events, as I said, are different because team leaders can throw a guy out for that stuff. But the entire game isn't events yet.

For those that care, I believe admins will be able to mute as was said in another thread and I'm sure this time next week or about we'll have admins.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

I’d hate to see this game attract the worst possible types who’d use it as an outlet to voice their abhorrent racism. Melonfish I heard that same guy and others too. I am shocked at the frequency of it.

Before long, WoR might get a reputation if this happens often enough with reviewers and Twitch broadcasters looking at it in coming weeks.

I’m not going to tell CG how to run their game, however I am not sure that just ignoring this (or attempting to mute them) is a strong enough statement.
    Last edited by Quaker; 12-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    This is a prickly issue given the context game-wise.

I’d hate to see this game attract the worst possible types who use it as an outlet to voice their abhorrent racism. Melonfish I heard that same guy and others too. I am shocked at the frequency of it.

Before long, WoR might get a reputation if this happens often enough with reviewers and Twitch broadcasters looking at it in coming weeks.

I’m not going to tell CG how to run their game, however I am not sure that just ignoring this (or attempting to mute them) is a strong enough statement.
    This is it, all it takes is for one YT vid of a bunch of guys being racist walking around under a rebel flag and there will be a lot of media attention we genuinely don't want.

I agree with those who don't take this to seriously. Maybe they are getting into character, who knows? A time when racial hatred was high in american history, it's only natural that there are racists.

Just look at the glass half full.