Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Concern

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ramirez Nicholas J. View Post
    I agree with those who don't take this to seriously. Maybe they are getting into character, who knows? A time when racial hatred was high in american history, it's only natural that there are racists.

Just look at the glass half full.
    Well this belief is kind of the whole point, the very thing that the idiots spewing their rubbish in game actually believe. Racism, as we understand it in 2018, was not 'high' in the 1860's. Educated people in 2018 do not believe that god made one race better than any other, which is what educated men believed back then. Don't forget, women were a lesser form of being back then as well, yet nobody in WoR is running around shouting about that. It has nothing to do with 'getting into character', and everything to do with basic ignorance. These idiots want to annoy you, so don't let them, open up the players list by pressing the TAB key and mute them.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

I mean really who cares, people are gonna say bad stuff, and I actually rarely hear racial stuff In fact, I seem to rarely hear much talking at all, even when I know voice chat is working, which can be a good and bad thing). But it's the internet and people are gonna do what they did in Holdfast where when the Prussians came out they started blasting Hitler speeches, screaming 'Sieg Heil', etc. The fastest way to kill a troll's fun is to either go with the joke and ruin their fun of trying to annoy you or just ignore them.

I think people who are the target of the slurs would care.

A simple way of seeing who is talking and a vote kick system with "racism" as a reason would be a good start. It's not "imposing morality" on someone to say " we don't allow players to treat others like subhumans".

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post

A simple way of seeing who is talking and a vote kick system with "racism" as a reason would be a good start. It's not "imposing morality" on someone to say " we don't allow players to treat others like subhumans".
    You can see who is talking, an icon appears over their head. And trust me, a vote kick system is an easily abused system. I strongly disagree with implementing a vote kick system for what someone deems a racist comment or inappropriate or something like that.

Vote kick never works on a server with more than a few players. And it's not worth the effort unless it's a vote ban.

Hopefully in the future spectate mode (neutral to either team) the spectator can see the icon of whose talking on both teams so that it's easier to mute people as it can be pretty hard in a close formation to tell. Last time I paid attention there is still an icon in-game, right? You can put your head on a swivel without stopping what you're doing by holding down the alt key and moving your mouse around.

Are you new to the internet or are you just trying emit virtue here? Cause you can find this stuff literally everywhere on the internet except in chat when it's filtered out or on discussion boards where it can be viewed and policed leisurely. I've been playing shooters since 2001 and and if there was a solution for it then it would have manifested by now. The closest you can get is having an all-chat with icons of whose talking so admins can easily see it which is many levels beyond stupid. I've watched servers play whack-a-mole with language for eternity.

People do it because it bothers people. People do lots of things because it bothers people. Until Trolltrace.com goes active we won't have any way of shaming people.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

As others have stated, that's just silly. You might think asking someone "where are you from?" is racist, and I believe being racist, would be hating someone for the immutable characteristics like skin color.

I will say though that seeing whose talking easier is a good idea, maybe when you look at your teams rooster of all the units and names you can see a icon of whose speaking.

CSA Major General

I agree with those who don't take this to seriously. Maybe they are getting into character, who knows? A time when racial hatred was high in american history, it's only natural that there are racists.

Just look at the glass half full.
    We all like a little immersion, but the world has definitely changed and any form of racism or hatred is not done … this game is not about highlighting this 'part' of history.
    Also make no mistake in making the assumption that the south was all racist.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Sadly History is often written by the victors.....
    4th Texas 'C' Company

As others have stated, that's just silly. You might think asking someone "where are you from?" is racist, and I believe being racist, would be hating someone for the immutable characteristics like skin color.

I will say though that seeing whose talking easier is a good idea, maybe when you look at your teams rooster of all the units and names you can see a icon of whose speaking.
    It's not silly - what you suggested is silly. We can all agree that someone yelling the N word is racist. Grow up. Suggesting that someone is "just getting into character" - are you familiar with America?

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Well, that's quite a generalization. What proof do you have to back this up? The fact that only 4% of the South owned slaves says a lot. I much prefer the Union, but Southern soldiers had many reasons for fighting other than to protect their "peculiar institution".
    Last edited by Ramirez Nicholas J.; 12-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.